All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIV: Okay, but now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Now we play the waiting game for offseason trades/roster building.

….
613395.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
good article from Russo about our deadline. I guess we decided against completing two other big deals. We wanted retain on Schmaltz.

Waddell believes our package for Timo was better than NJ's but knows other folks will value his prospects differently than he does.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
good article from Russo about our deadline. I guess we decided against completing two other big deals. We wanted retain on Schmaltz.

Waddell believes our package for Timo was better than NJ's but knows other folks will value his prospects differently than he does.

Hopefully, Russo covering the team isn’t just temporary, although I bet it unfortunately is. Regardless, he’s been one of my favorite Athletic writers. He seems to have connections too, all over, so he’s real good for the insider tidbits that we all find fascinating.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
So let's take a guess on what Staal's contract would be?

2 years / 3m aav?

Let's spitball. Staal at 3m aav, creates 3m in space. Add 1m to that, let's say ghost works out, could we get ghost for say 4m aav for 3-4? I don't know ghosts value. I'd say keeping him is unlikely though

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

2 years / 3m aav?

Let's spitball. Staal at 3m aav, creates 3m in space. Add 1m to that, let's say ghost works out, could we get ghost for say 4m aav for 3-4? I don't know ghosts value. I'd say keeping him is unlikely though
I’m curious why the contract talks stalled. Months ago they reported an extension was close.

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

2 years / 3m aav?

It’ll be closer to $4.5m I think.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I see J Staal signing for 2yrs at $4-4.5M.

If Gostisbehere keeps it up, could he be a fit next to Pesce after next season? Keep Skjei around next year as an own rental and let him walk, while signing Gostisbehere to a $4.5M or so by 2 or 3yr extension? Could potentially work…

You then re-up Pesce at ~$6M or so and basically keep paying around the same amount for your 2nd pair (Gostisbehere-Pesce ~ $10-11M then vs Pesce-Skjei at $9.25M now)

Probably getting wayyy ahead of myself after 2 good games from Gostisbehere. He did play top 4 and PK mins with ARZ evidently wasn’t horrible in that capacity.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I do think Poolparty will be a great depth add for us. I wouldn't be shocked if he thrives here without the pressure he was feeling in Edmonton. And given he was probably their best defensive forward, the pressures of him being the guy defensively on a team that sucked defensively had to weigh heavily on him, so to come over to a team that is stout defensively, he should fit right in.

I do wonder where he slots in to start. If Brindy had some stones, he'd bump either Martinook or Fast down and create a heavy 3rd line, but I doubt he has the stomach to mix things up there.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I do think Poolparty will be a great depth add for us. I wouldn't be shocked if he thrives here without the pressure he was feeling in Edmonton. And given he was probably their best defensive forward, the pressures of him being the guy defensively on a team that sucked defensively had to weigh heavily on him, so to come over to a team that is stout defensively, he should fit right in.

I do wonder where he slots in to start. If Brindy had some stones, he'd bump either Martinook or Fast down and create a heavy 3rd line, but I doubt he has the stomach to mix things up there.
I dont know if stones is the right word. Whens the last time someone scored against the M-S-F line? I dont think you mess with that, they are shutting people down and scoring occasionally, leave it alone.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, I think we know what Brindy likes and what he's comfortable with. Never say never, but I suspect he'll just get put on the 4th line over Stepan to start. I would probably move Fast down personally. He's a good player, but I think he's just not quite as good as the previous two seasons. I think Marty's style of chaos would mesh well with the style of chaos we expect from JP.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I see J Staal signing for 2yrs at $4-4.5M.

If Gostisbehere keeps it up, could he be a fit next to Pesce after next season? Keep Skjei around next year as an own rental and let him walk, while signing Gostisbehere to a $4.5M or so by 2 or 3yr extension? Could potentially work…

You then re-up Pesce at ~$6M or so and basically keep paying around the same amount for your 2nd pair (Gostisbehere-Pesce ~ $10-11M then vs Pesce-Skjei at $9.25M now)

Probably getting wayyy ahead of muscle after 2 good games from Gostisbehere. He did play top 4 and PK mins with ARZ evidently wasn’t horrible in that capacity.

I've been reluctant to say this given how great Pesce and Skjei has been but having 3 of your 4 top defenders not contributing on the PP is a handicap. You either downslot a person like Ghost (and overpay) or use the slot on a mystery box and hope it doesn't cost you at even strength. Point being, losing a Skjei or a Pesce for someone that can help the PP and not be a hole on defense may not be a bad thing.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I dont know if stones is the right word. Whens the last time someone scored against the M-S-F line? I dont think you mess with that, they are shutting people down and scoring occasionally, leave it alone.
I'm never a fan of this philosophy. Especially in the regular season, I think they should be able to break apart any line. You need to know what works because as we've seen in the playoffs, something might not work and you need to know what options you have. I said many times down the stretch last year that they should break up the 3rd line on occasion and see what other options work. It's not like you can't go back to the known line eventually either if that proves to be the best option in most scenarios.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm never a fan of this philosophy. Especially in the regular season, I think they should be able to break apart any line. You need to know what works because as we've seen in the playoffs, something might not work and you need to know what options you have. I said many times down the stretch last year that they should break up the 3rd line on occasion and see what other options work. It's not like you can't go back to the known line eventually either if that proves to be the best option in most scenarios.
Absolutely!

We need options. Just because something works now doesn't mean it will always work, and its always been curious that we'll stick the Top 6 in a blender, going so far as to promote Martinook to the 1st line in previous years, but will never touch the 3rd line. If we're willing to try every path possible to create scoring, shouldn't we do the same to see how we might be able to spread out our defensive play?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Some random ass rambling thoughts.

I’d like to see Staal take a little bit of a sweetheart deal, he’s been overpaid by at least $1M for the entirety of his current contract imo. $3.5-4M x 2-3 max.

It sounds like they’ve basically committed themselves to bringing Patches back next season and that the interest is mutual. Do they make a move to create a spot for him? Basically do they try and move TT this off-season? 3rd line Patches or TT, kind of hard to imagine. Especially Patches, paying for a goal scorer only to stick him beside Staal seems kind of like a waste. I hope that’s a show me, bonus heavy contract type situation if it happens. Sure he seems like a great guy but I’m just not sold on dude’s health, there’s a reason LV gave him away.

I think a Pool Party, Stastny, Noesen 4th line has the potential to wreak havoc, could be a match up nightmare for other teams. If that line can find a little offensive chemistry it has the potential to be the type of 4th line that can be a difference maker in the playoffs. Love Stepan but Jesse is an immediate upgrade in that spot. And Stastny is only one season removed from 21G 45PT center.

After missing out on Meier I’m really glad the FO didn’t get stupid. He really was the only player that I thought was worth making a huge push for. Tripp and a few other reports make it sound like SJ wanted Jarvis and that was a no go from the FO. Without an extension I totally agree with not moving Jarvis. I hope he continues to develop and proves my personal assessment of him wrong. I think it’s pretty hilarious that Tripp was talking about Jarvis “busting through the Sophomore slump wall” when he’s still playing at a lower PPG pace than last season.

Do we see any youngsters make the jump next season? Something has to happen at some point right? Either some trades or bring ‘em up. Drury and a few others have surely hit their ceiling in the AHL isn’t it time to see what a few of these guys have got in the big leagues?

Reactions: cptjeff

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I get that but its not like he leaves all the lines alone. Its one line he doesn't change everything else (except D2) has been seapped and changed.

Reactions: geehaad

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think a Pool Party, Stastny, Noesen 4th line has the potential to wreak havoc, could be a match up nightmare for other teams. If that line can find a little offensive chemistry it has the potential to be the type of 4th line that can be a difference maker in the playoffs. Love Stepan but Jesse is an immediate upgrade in that spot. And Stastny is only one season removed from 21G 45PT center.

They mentioned on the broadcast yesterday that Rod stated he had no intention of breaking up the 3rd line. They were talking quite a bit about that line actually. While I do think Pool Party would maybe add some offense there, I agree with you that eventually our 4th line could be another heavy checking/scoring line and that's going to be tougher for teams to match up to.

Reactions: ndp

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anaheim game.

For reference, here's the last 10 games:

Rangers: KK Line - 2GA, Aho line - 2GA
Caps: KK line - 1GA, Aho line - 1GA
MTL: Stepan line - 1GA
Caps: Staal line - 1 GA
Blues: Staal line - 1 GA
Sens: No lines had a GA
Anaheim: Staal line - 1 GA, Aho line - 1 GA
Vegas: Stepan line - 1 GA, Aho line - 1 GA
AZ: No lines had a GA, Loan goal was essentially just as a PP expired.
TBL: No lines had a GA

Full season: Staal,Martinook, Fast: 19 5v5 GA out of 95 5v5 GA for the team. Note that the Staal, Martinook, Fast line take on the toughest competition so they are doing a very good job at preventing scoring given the competition they face.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

If he has balls it will be turbo - aho - pooly

Reactions: ndp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad