All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread VI - We have goalies, but can they stay healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

I'm hoping Drury beats him out, but yeah he's more likely to be the 4th line center. However the 4th line shakes out, that's what I want the top 9 to be and that top 9 looks pretty damn good and balanced to me.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If we get Kotkaniemi, I think we should try this to see how it clicks:

Aho, Kotkaniemi, Turbo
Svech, Tro, Nachos
Nino, Staal, Fast
Marty, Stephan, Lorentz

I would give this a go to see how he can play center between to guys that click together. Given him the best chance to succeed. I'd do this the entire preseason and the first several games of the regular to see if it can work. We know the other guys can play well together, so if it needs to change pretty early, so be it. But give it a chance to help our top six and help his growth in the role we want him to play. Putting him as a wing on Staal's line or the fourth line is safe, but also doesn't give him the tools to grow.

I have no expectation that this will happen.
I dont either but suggested the same thing yesterday. I think Rod would consider trying JK in the middle, I think the main reason for not doing it is Aho's preference to be in the middle. JK is much more the style of player I think Rod likes in the middle.

I think JK ends up being the LW on the 2nd or 3rd line in the end.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I haven’t followed it closely. Is it likely that MTL doesn’t match?

Most talking heads seem to think they won’t match, or at least, they should very strongly consider not matching. I listened to a stream of TSN 690 (ick) this morning while doing some mindless data entry at work, and the consensus from enemy territory really isn’t much of a consensus at all. One really annoying guy said they can’t afford not to match with their atrocious C depth and another said no way could they match unless they think he’ll be a 2C next year, which the team obviously doesn’t think he is.

I find it odd there hasn’t been a peep out of the MTL front office. Personally, I think they don’t match, and they try to use the picks to grab a Dvorak or Kuznetzov. I’d put it at 60-40 in favor of them taking the picks.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Jack Drury almost certainly will spend the full season in Chicago. Stepan, Leivo, and now (maybe) Kotkaniemi confirms this to be the likely scenario. That will IMO be for the best in his career. I know he played well in the SHL, but having a full year to adjust to North American ice along with our (maybe) best-in-the-AHL supporting cast in Chicago will be a nice thing to work with before he gets called up for NHL games.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Jack Drury almost certainly will spend the full season in Chicago. Stepan, Leivo, and now (maybe) Kotkaniemi confirms this to be the likely scenario. That will IMO be for the best in his career. I know he played well in the SHL, but having a full year to adjust to North American ice along with our (maybe) best-in-the-AHL supporting cast in Chicago will be a nice thing to work with before he gets called up for NHL games.
Is this really a thing for him? He played his whole life here including several years in college, how much did he forget?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Are you joking about Jack Drury needing to adjust to North American hockey?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Are you joking about Jack Drury needing to adjust to North American hockey?

When it comes to going from pro league to pro league, yes, it will be a bit of an adjustment. The spots that Drury played in NA are not pro leagues. Sure, he could probably step into the Ottawa Senators or the Arizona Coyotes right now, but with the Canes, a likely cup contender? That's a bit different.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When it comes to going from pro league to pro league, yes, it will be a bit of an adjustment. The spots that Drury played in NA are not pro leagues.

Nobody says that prospects out of the CHL, WHL, NCAA, etc.. need time to "adjust to NA ice" because "they haven't played in pro leagues on NA ice before". Drury has probably played on NA ice for 15 years, same as newly drafted guys out of the CHL or NCAA. If you want to say he needs time to adjust to the pro game in NA which is faster and more physical, that's fine, but it's not adjusting to the ice size.

Sure, he could probably step into the Ottawa Senators or the Arizona Coyotes right now, but with the Canes, a likely cup contender? That's a bit different.

True, but that has absolutely nothing to do with "adjusting to NA ice".

Last edited:

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
From what I saw of Jarvis in Chicago last year before he was sent back to the WHL, he is legit.

We may have a problem coming up with alot of forwards (Drury, Suzuki, Jarvis) who need NHL minutes to develop with no spots

Reactions: DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
From what I saw of Jarvis in Chicago last year before he was sent back to the WHL, he is legit.

We may have a problem coming up with alot of forwards (Drury, Suzuki, Jarvis) who need NHL minutes to develop with no spots

It's a good problem to have, and you know there will be injuries during the season, so someone will get a chance along the line, most likely.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

With the way the Borg negotiates RFA/UFA contracts, I suspect there will be a couple slots next year (Nino, Trocheck, Stepan, Leivo all UFAs), and more as years go on.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
So if you are the Canes, would you go after Brady Tkachuk? Provided we get JK and Jarvis pans out that would be one hell of a top 6.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So if you are the Canes, would you go after Brady Tkachuk? Provided we get JK and Jarvis pans out that would be one hell of a top 6.
Cant if we get JK. Wouldn’t have a 1st rounder, unless you are suggesting we trade for him.

im just assuming that we just offer sheet everyone, yippee ki yay mfers.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
There’s also the culture shock of moving to North America after having lived in Sweden for a year. He has a lot to learn and that can be tough on a young man.

Yes. He's going to have to learn to pay for things in dollars instead of euros, and he's going to have to unlearn the metric system. Best to leave him in Chicago.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

I don’t think that would be a realistic get so I wouldn’t bother. Sens are basically building their team around him, he’s a fan favourite and I really don’t think it would end well for Melnyk to get rid of another fan favourite despite the return.

If you all want a Tkachuk maybe Matthew though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad