All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread VI - We have goalies, but can they stay healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I mean, it's a double-edged sword. We have Aho/Teravainen/Svechnikov/Trocheck on our PP. He should be just as productive with those four, if not more so considering that our PP units are deeper than the Rangers.

DeAngelo also played at like a 40pt pace at age 23 before Panarin was even on the team. I totally understand not liking the guy but he can create offense.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I wonder how much of DeAngelo production is playing with Panarin and Zibs. I don't think he's thaaaat good at all.

How much of Hamiltons is Aho, TT, and Svech and Gaudreau?

With less weapons in NJ people can cover the point and neuter Douglas more.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So by my elementary calculations, they have around $12-13M in cap space, prior to matching the inevitable $8.5M x 5 Svechnikov offer sheet. So that likely leaves them with enough room to fit a $3-3.5M, maybe a $4M forward.

There’s no way they can fit Tarasenko without sending Gardiner or Niederreiter the other way. The Blues likely shut down the conversation at Gardiner, regardless of the add(s), and likely jump at Niederreiter. But then , the Canes are short another top 9 forward. Barring the hope that at prospect can win a spot in camp, I don’t see how they can’t add another scorer.

Tatar out there in UFA or a trade for DeBrusk seem to be about the only realistic options at the moment.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
So by my elementary calculations, they have around $12-13M in cap space, prior to matching the inevitable $8.5M x 5 Svechnikov offer sheet. So that likely leaves them with enough room to fit a $3-3.5M, maybe a $4M forward.

There’s no way they can fit Tarasenko without sending Gardiner or Niederreiter the other way. The Blues likely shut down the conversation at Gardiner, regardless of the add(s), and likely jump at Niederreiter. But then , the Canes are short another top 9 forward. Barring the hope that at prospect can win a spot in camp, I don’t see how they can’t add another scorer.

Tatar out there in UFA or a trade for DeBrusk seem to be about the only realistic options at the moment.
pretty much the way I see it.
We bascially have less forward talent than last year and sat on our hands or didn't offer enough for Saad. We appear to be out on Tarasenko, we traded Fogele and lost Ginner and Geeks is gone to be a Kraken.

eeeeehhhhhhh yeah. Okay then. Tartar is junk and more 3rd line crap so I guess thats predictable.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

My guess is a contract-for-contract trade with Gardiner and a Tatar signing.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
How about Gardiner to Washington for Evgeny Kuznetsov. The cost to the Canes would only be 3.6 million for the first two years based on the offset of the Gardiner Trade.

It saves the Caps 3.6 million in cap space for two years the 7.8 for the remaining two years. A line of Kuznetsov, Trocheck, and Svechnikov/Necas could be a very dynamic line

Reactions: Wolfpuck

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
How about Gardiner to Washington for Evgeny Kuznetsov. The cost to the Canes would only be 3.6 million for the first two years based on the offset of the Gardiner Trade.

It saves the Caps 3.6 million in cap space for two years the 7.8 for the remaining two years. A line of Kuznetsov, Trocheck, and Svechnikov/Necas could be a very dynamic line
I’d be down for some Kuzy. If they’re looking to move him, he would fit very nice into our top 6 for the next few seasons.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I’d be down for some Kuzy. If they’re looking to move him, he would fit very nice into our top 6 for the next few seasons.
I know it’s Eklund but…

The Capitals have been hard at work trying to find a taker for Evgeny Kuznetsov.
They have talked to the Blues about a swap with Tarasenko, but Armstrong has no desire for that move..The Kings are the team to watch here…

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Just for shits and giggles I did a few very rudimentary player comparisons based on who a few players that went out and whom I assume are their replacements.

First off the big one.
Dougie vs. TDA
Last 3 seasons numbers averaged.
PPG: Dougie .7, TDA .51
TOI: Dougie 21.67, TDA 18.9

I'm assuming they're banking on TDA racking up PP points. I don't think TDA can cover Dougie's defensive responsibilities? If they end up having to put Slavin and Pesce back together on the top pair this completely nullifies what makes the defense so good. Having Slavin and Pesce anchor the first and second pair, while having a true #1 to play with Slavin is what made the defense elite imo. Loosing Dougie and trying to replace his offense by committee on the backend is probably going to make this team worse, no other way around it.

Bean vs. Bear
Last seasons numbers only.
PPG: Bean .26, Bear .24

This one seems to be basically a wash, if not a slight upgrade in Bear. He's a little more established, and of all the moves so far this off-season this is the one I'm most interested in. Bear definitely has more sandpaper, which I like and feel like was lacking on the backend. I personally think there's some upside in Bear and it wouldn't surprise me to see him become the better defenseman in the long run. Hopefully he does it with the Hurricanes.

McGinn vs. Levio?
Last 3 seasons averaged.
PPG: McGinn .31, Levio .38
AGPI: yet to be determined.

Levio puts up slightly better offensive numbers while subjectively playing on worse teams. His health is a question to me, hasn't played what I consider a full season since 18-19. If Levio can stay relatively healthy this is probably a wash, while bringing significant cap savings.

Fogele vs. Stephan
Again last 3 seasons averaged.
PPG: Fogele .34, last 2 seasons .63 last 3 seasons, Stephan last 3 seasons .4

Hopefully there's another move coming to replace McLovin cause Stephan just ain't it. I guess the argument could be made that Stephan played on much worse teams? Not only is he older and slower he definitely lacks the physicality that Fogele had. I see Fogele as a player who was slightly trending upwards, probably hit his peak at around .5 - .6 PPG, while Stephan is a player who is trending in the wrong direction. Maybe the FO is thinking he'll have a bounce back season, but most 30+ players tend to not have those, Cullen excluded.

Cole vs. Fleury, Hanky-panky, Gardiner, whoever.

Cole should be an upgrade defensively I guess. Hopefully his legs can keep up, I don't remember him being the fastest guy, but whatever. Maybe speed isn't our thing anymore?

I'm probably wrong in half of these assessments, and like I said hopefully there's another top 6 player to be added. But as of now I don't see how this team on paper is as good as last seasons roster, definitely not better.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
We are worse team than last year. I could have told you that without that work. We are worse at forward, defense and goal. Goal maybe you argue but I'd say last year Ned and Mrazek overachieved and they would have more than likely regressed had they stayed.

All of this except Hamilton leaving was self inflicted. That's the troubling part.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
First time is the opening faceoff. Second time is the faceoff after giving up a goal on the first shift.

Then we’ll know our team.
I was thinking that we'll raise Cup and then we discuss does Tony get his name on it, what with the... incident.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
We are worse team than last year. I could have told you that without that work. We are worse at forward, defense and goal. Goal maybe you argue but I'd say last year Ned and Mrazek overachieved and they would have more than likely regressed had they stayed.

All of this except Hamilton leaving was self inflicted. That's the troubling part.
I'm still holding out hope that there's a forward upgrade in the works. Trade, free agent, whatever, they have the cap room and the assets to make it happen.

Reactions: cptjeff

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You can't sit there and say we replaced X player with Y player and are worse off for it. The roster is the totality of all the players, not just one guy.

At the moment, I'd guess we're a little deeper on defense as compared to last year, not quite as deep at forward, about the same in net (I'm not counting the loss of a good 3rd goalie against us because that was a one-year league phenomenon related to COVID)

But remember an "upgrade" at forward this season could be as little as Turbo not being hurt the whole time plus a 35-40 point rookie season from Jarvis or Drury. And we're still really deep down the middle which tends to float the wingers a little higher

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Per A Gold, Canes are trying to convince Gardiner to have back surgery and go on LTIR; Gardiner doesn’t want to. He speculates that if they don’t LTIR him, they’ll waive him and bury him in the AHL:

PS - this is a long one, over 70mins. I’m still listening to it…Anyway, just got to the Erik Cole portion, he says he and likely the current roster will have absolutely zero problem with DeAngelo, and that there really couldn’t be a better situation for DeAngelo to come into. Describes the move as “brilliant”, thinks TDA will love being here and will be here long term. I suppose you could say Cole is a fan…

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Bury him in the AHL makes his cap hit 2.9. Why would that bother Gardiner though? Still gets his money

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Bury him in the AHL makes his cap hit 2.9. Why would that bother Gardiner though? Still gets his money

No idea.

To me, that idea was straight from Gold. However, when speaking about the surgery and LTIR he was certainly referring to management being the driver there.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Surprise, surprise. Korshkov didn’t take the Canes to arbitration:

No more chance to buyout Gardiner this year, as if they ever would anyway. Also, kinda weird to not have any Canes players filing.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Surprise, surprise. Korshkov didn’t take the Canes to arbitration:

No more chance to buyout Gardiner this year, as if they ever would anyway. Also, kinda weird to not have any Canes players filing.

I mean, generally speaking, I personally find buyouts a stupid idea unless 1. you're the one being compensated for it; or 2. it's the last year of the contract and the dead cap penalty is really small. To me, at least, contract for contract is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad