All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread V - We have no goalies?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Just saw Friedman in his latest blog speculated Raanta or Andersen for us. Said a few teams speculated Raanta as a fit based on analytics. I could live with either of those even if they aren't my top choices.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I realize his numbers haven’t been great the past 3 years, better than Gibson’s though, but he has won a Cup. New team new coach could bring him back to life. And at 50% retained, he will be cheaper than Foegele

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Big week for potential Jack Eichel trade, free agency predictions

• Is Carolina’s next starter Antti Raanta, Frederik Andersen or someone else? (A few teams suspect the analytics-inclined Hurricanes love Raanta.)

I do like Raanta which is why I mention him earlier as a cheap fall-through option. Huge health concerns but he has talent. Seems like a guy that would benefit from a 1 year deal with Carolina.

Also predicts Hamilton to NJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wonder if Buffalo would move Olafsson. He would be a good add for us if they are truly going burn it to the ground level.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Raanta isn’t a bad option if we had a 3rd option we could trust when he gets hurt

That is a good point in comparison to last year.

When Mrazek went down they had Nedeljkovic who was able to step up. The Canes don't have another career champion waiting for his chance in the AHL. At best they have Beck Warm or Kochetkov as a 3rd string option right now.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
That is a good point in comparison to last year.

When Mrazek went down last year they had Nedeljkovic who was able to step up. The Canes don't have another career champion waiting for his chance in the AHL. At best they have Beck Warm or Kochetkov as a 3rd string option right now.
We would have to get an older statesman to be our 3rd goalie. Warm and Makiniemi aint it.

please no to Andersen though

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If Foegele is on the Market would the canes be interested in dealing him for Dermott? Or a LHD prospect in Kokkonen + 2023 3rd

Another trade of interest for me would be Rasmus Sandin for a strong LW(doesn't have to be a natural position) prospect who is close to NHL ready. Is any one like that available?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
If Foegele is on the Market would the canes be interested in dealing him for Dermott? Or a LHD prospect in Kokkonen + 2023 3rd

Another trade of interest for me would be Rasmus Sandin for a strong LW(doesn't have to be a natural position) prospect who is close to NHL ready. Is any one like that available?
It depends on our strategy. Dermott is a good player. If we are looking for physical defenders on the 3rd pair then it may not be a fit.

I hope we use him to get a top 6 upgrade

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It depends on our strategy. Dermott is a good player. If we are looking for physical defenders on the 3rd pair then it may not be a fit.

I hope we use him to get a top 6 upgrade
I see, thanks for the reply. Yeah Dermott is not very physical. He's a solid 3rd pairing guy when given 16-17 minutes a night with a stable veteran partner but is vanialla offensively and isn't the best puck mover. Good at 2 on 1's and has good reads/decision making usually (though not in-game 6 versus the Habs)

Reactions: Tryamw

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the decision on goaltending is the most important off-season item. This team's window is 2-3 years, because in 3 years, Aho, TT, Pesce and Skjei are all UFAs. Based on the way this front office works, I won't be shocked if most, if not all, of them move on (maybe even with 1 year left like Faulk). I know some feel the window is longer because of all the draft picks the last few years, Necas, Svech, etc...but Aho, TT and Pesce are all critical cogs that will not be easy to replace, whether that be via free agency or from within. Maybe this team views Aho like the Patriots viewed Brady, but that wasn't evident with the first negotiation.

It's clear they didn't think Ned was the guy or paying him $3M would be a no brainer. Maybe they'll be right, maybe wrong, but he's gone so they are going in a different direction. Getting the right goalie is more critical now than ever IMO.

I've been supportive of this front office because of results, and will continue to be if the results are there even if I don't agree with every move, but I think this is one of the most critical decisions they have to make and will go a long way to determining if this is a team that can contend for a cup or not.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
What happens first?

Trades before FA to fill spots prior (Tarasenko, Kuemper, TB player(s), Eichel, Foegele, etc)

or

Trades after because teams missed out on FAs?

Trades will be like goalies/defenders in the draft. They can take a while to get started but once they do, there is a run of them.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What happens first?

Trades before FA to fill spots prior (Tarasenko, Kuemper, TB player(s), Eichel, Foegele, etc)

or

Trades after because teams missed out on FAs?

Trades will be like goalies/defenders in the draft. They can take a while to get started but once they do, there is a run of them.
If these are the options, a trade before would be good use of pick(s). As you're trading anyway, and not in position of desperation.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So our goalies might be Raanta and Mrazek, both of whom have injury concerns, and we traded Ned, so we have no one who could reasonable fill in if both get injured.

Stellar work by DW

Reactions: Daeavorn

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
My really bad and probably won’t happen predictions:

If Hamilton stays, we go league minimum (or close to) on the bottom pair defender with Gelinas as 7D. We move Foegele + for an upgrade in the top 6 or sell for futures and sign someone.

If Hamilton doesn’t stay then we trade Foegele for Dunn. Maybe get a guy like Demers on a one year deal. RS D is kinda light so maybe we get a Goligoski for one year who can play both sides well. Maybe a cap in half Colin Miller from Buffalo. Maybe Washington takes very little for us to take Schultz (cuz Kuzy will be very hard to offload).

Lesser talked about but good targets to improve:
Olofsson, Hertl, Boeser (Vancouver could run into cap issues quickly)

Goalie
order of preference:
1A: Ullmark, trade for Kuemper
1B: Bernier, Raanta, Mrazek, Reimer

not preferred but could happen: goalies are both from 1B list

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So our goalies might be Raanta and Mrazek, both of whom have injury concerns, and we traded Ned, so we have no one who could reasonable fill in if both get injured.

Stellar work by DW
Mrazek has health concerns?

he has pulled a groin once. Then was run into ( which is every goalie’s injury concern). Im not seeing a pattern

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah. I have zero injury concerns with Mrazek.

I would have injury worries about Mrazek if the tandem is Mrazek/Raanta because I don't think Raanta can handle the load, but not because of Mrazek's history.

If they can get a cheap 3rd goalie I'd be good with Raanta. He's a great goalie in terms of performance when healthy. I don't think Carolina has some magic to keep Raanta healthy, so find a third goalie. I could see Reimer in that role if he doesn't find a spot elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad