All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think we picked up #2 in the Trochek trade, unless you mean another one on top of that
I was meaning one more to give us a top level offense to couple with our great defense and hopefully above average goaltending.

We have Turbo, Aho, Svech, Trocheck, and Necas in our top 6. Nino could be it or he could this season’s or 17-18 guy.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Extra darts might not be the way to acquire a top end goalie through the draft but if Nino, Gardiner, etc can be traded for picks, even low ones and we can package those with higher end assets to get a Gibson out of Anaheim, all the while clearing up cap space to facilitate the move then it’s a win for sure.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Extra darts might not be the way to acquire a top end goalie through the draft but if Nino, Gardiner, etc can be traded for picks, even low ones and we can package those with higher end assets to get a Gibson out of Anaheim, all the while clearing up cap space to facilitate the move then it’s a win for sure.

I personally would wait until the next offseason before I even think about trading either of those two. We may not even want to trade Gardiner by then, especially if Francis leans toward selecting Skjei in the Expansion Draft, as I have been expecting for a while now. Also, Anaheim isn't trading Gibson without a massive asset overpayment.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Assuming the cap stays flat the next two years:

We have 9.1 million in space for next year with needing to sign Foegele and, maybe, Fleury. If both are signed then the roster is basically set with all other space reserved for signing bonuses from this season. Our improvements are from the trade deadline.

The teams with cap space, which aren’t a lot, will be the ones able to make moves. I would like to see us get another scorer but that will be challenging.

the following off-season we’ll have plenty of cap space at 32 million. Although it’ll get sucked up quickly with Svech, Dougie, two goalies, and 3 forwards. Granted we’ll more than likely lose another roster player in the expansion draft adding a need and more cap space.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We have 9.1 million in space for next year with needing to sign Foegele and, maybe, Fleury.
Williams? The guy is arguably playing a top six role for us right now. Do we sign him if he wants to return? If not, do we promote from within or look for a free agent? The latter makes the money a lot more tight assuming you are bringing in a younger guy with Williams capabilities.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Williams? The guy is arguably playing a top six role for us right now. Do we sign him if he wants to return? If not, do we promote from within or look for a free agent? The latter makes the money a lot more tight assuming you are bringing in a younger guy with Williams capabilities.
Granted a lot depends on how this season plays out (or doesn't) because he came back for a shortened season + playoff run, and obviously COVID has potentially made the season shorter. Depending on that, I think Williams would only come back for "one last run" like he did this year...so for the rest of the year he NEEDS a replacement. Outside of D-men, we've already either promoted or traded most of our "ready" AHL talent...exception being Geekie who wouldn't replace JWilly. So I'd venture either a trade or another vet UFA maybe?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Im not counting on Williams coming back. Hopefully he does but, I doubt it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Assuming the cap stays flat the next two years:

We have 9.1 million in space for next year with needing to sign Foegele and, maybe, Fleury. If both are signed then the roster is basically set with all other space reserved for signing bonuses from this season. Our improvements are from the trade deadline.

The teams with cap space, which aren’t a lot, will be the ones able to make moves. I would like to see us get another scorer but that will be challenging.

the following off-season we’ll have plenty of cap space at 32 million. Although it’ll get sucked up quickly with Svech, Dougie, two goalies, and 3 forwards. Granted we’ll more than likely lose another roster player in the expansion draft adding a need and more cap space.

I expect Bean, Ned, and Geekie to all make the team next year, as well. This gives us, IMO, extra flexibility to make a move or two. Again, we're not close to being cap-strapped at all this offseason, even with the $70M+ already spent. All of our contracts, outside of Staal's, are of the easily-moveable variety, particularly because Reimer has played so well this year and now only has a year left at a very low real-salary (post-July 1st bonus). On top of that, in large part thanks to the Trocheck deal, which had pending UFA Haula and pending RFA Wallmark as the centerpieces, there's only two RFAs of any real cap significance in Foegele and Fleury, and neither will be very expensive to re-sign. As shown by Vegas last offseason, teams can be close to the ceiling and simultaneously not be in cap hell as long as you have desirable pieces with reasonable contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I expect Bean, Ned, and Geekie to all make the team next year, as well. This gives us, IMO, extra flexibility to make a move or two. Again, we're not close to being cap-strapped at all this offseason, even with the $70M+ already spent. All of our contracts, outside of Staal's, are of the easily-moveable variety, particularly because Reimer has played so well this year and now only has a year left at a very low real-salary (post-July 1st bonus). On top of that, in large part thanks to the Trocheck deal, which had pending UFA Haula and pending RFA Wallmark as the centerpieces, there's only two RFAs of any real cap significance in Foegele and Fleury, and neither will be very expensive to re-sign. As shown by Vegas last offseason, teams can be close to the ceiling and simultaneously not be in cap hell as long as you have desirable pieces with reasonable contracts.
Which goaltender is moving, and to who, if Ned is on the roster next year?

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes have a defined 4 year window now with Aho, TT, Pesce, and Skjei all becoming UFAs in the same offseason. Ideally Hamilton is signed to that time-frame as well. Slavin is 1 year to follow. More than anything they need a starting goalie for that window.

Which goaltender is moving, and to who, if Ned is on the roster next year?

As noted above, Reimer should be easy to move after his bonus is paid. Only makes $1.15 million real salary next year. Assuming money was no object.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Canes have a defined 4 year window now with Aho, TT, Pesce, and Skjei all becoming UFAs in the same offseason. Ideally Hamilton is signed to that time-frame as well. Slavin is 1 year to follow. More than anything they need a starting goalie for that window.

As noted above, Reimer should be easy to move after his bonus is paid. Only makes $1.15 million real salary next year. Assuming money was no object.

I see Detroit and Dallas, among numerous other clubs with open 1A/1B slots, being interested in Reimer as a short-term tandem goalie. In Detroit's case, Bernier is the only NHL-caliber goalie on Detroit's roster, so that's a team that could very well offer a draft pick + fringe prospect for Reimer without giving any salary back. I could also see Boston as a club that would be interested in Reimer, particularly since Halak is likely to move to a different club for a bigger role. A big reason for Rask being so good this year was because Halak was such a reliable 1B, which led to Rask being fresh almost every game.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I find it hard to really figure out what we're going to be doing in the future. Gardiner looked like he was starting to find his groove with the team and Fleury was really beginning to step up his game and be a legitimately good defenseman right before the lockdown. I wish we could have seen how each performed down the stretch to see if they really were taking that next step. And then the new guys like Trochek and Skjei never really had an opportunity to show us what they can do here. We really don't know what we have in them. And we're basically going to see Vatanen walk away without ever suiting up for us, which stinks. And I wish we could have seen more out of Ned. But probably most disappointing is that we didn't get to see how this team could come together down the stretch. Did guys like Nino and Dzingle have another gear they were saving for the run, we just don't know.

So yeah, this offseason feels like a big unknown. We could just need a tweak or two or we could be a mess. We just don't know.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I find it hard to really figure out what we're going to be doing in the future. Gardiner looked like he was starting to find his groove with the team and Fleury was really beginning to step up his game and be a legitimately good defenseman right before the lockdown. I wish we could have seen how each performed down the stretch to see if they really were taking that next step. And then the new guys like Trochek and Skjei never really had an opportunity to show us what they can do here. We really don't know what we have in them. And we're basically going to see Vatanen walk away without ever suiting up for us, which stinks. And I wish we could have seen more out of Ned. But probably most disappointing is that we didn't get to see how this team could come together down the stretch. Did guys like Nino and Dzingle have another gear they were saving for the run, we just don't know.

So yeah, this offseason feels like a big unknown. We could just need a tweak or two or we could be a mess. We just don't know.

Rumor has it, at least among player circles, that the NHL does plan to resume the season this summer, so we should see all of them in Canes' sweaters sooner or later, including Vatanen. I'm not too concerned about the league outright cancelling the season unless something catastrophic happens in the next couple of months.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I see the Canes' window being much longer than 4 years if the FO plays their cards correctly and doesn't hand out albatrosses to the likes of Brent Seabrook for reasons of continuity. I don't see our organization being the kind of club that will just let four key pieces go for nothing in one offseason. I expect that our club will choose 1 or 2 guys from that list to extend long-term (my prediction is Aho and Slavin) as the chosen "dads" of our next wave of prime players, and then "Faulk" the other pieces for picks and players before their deals expire, ideally with sign-and-trades.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Rumor has it, at least among player circles, that the NHL does plan to resume the season this summer, so we should see all of them in Canes' sweaters sooner or later, including Vatanen. I'm not too concerned about the league outright cancelling the season unless something catastrophic happens in the next couple of months.

Essentially everything that has come out over the past week has indicated the league plans on starting the regular season back up in June at centralized location with no fans. I think the big question previously was whether or not the NHL would be interested in playing without gate revenues, but that appears to have been answered. LeBrun said the advertising revenue from a fan-less Playoffs would be $400-500 million which would cover most of the shortfall in HRR to break even league-wide.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Essentially everything that has come out over the past week has indicated the league plans on starting the regular season back up in June at centralized location with no fans. I think the big question previously was whether or not the NHL would be interested in playing without gate revenues, but that appears to have been answered. LeBrun said the advertising revenue from a fan-less Playoffs would be $400-500 million which would cover most of the shortfall in HRR to break even league-wide.

Also, you have to bet that the ratings will be absolutely sky-high, possibly approaching league records, especially if we're the first league to resume play. That will significantly enhance the RoI from advertisers, and could very well be a huge opportunity for our favorite sport to get a new viewing audience from fans of other sports.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I see the Canes' window being longer than 4 years. I don't see our organization being the kind of club that will just let four key pieces go for nothing in one offseason. I expect that our club will choose 1 or 2 guys from that list to extend long-term (my prediction is Aho and Slavin) as the chosen "dads" of our next wave of prime players, and then deal the other pieces for picks and players before their deals expire.

I don't think they will let all of them go. But I don't expect guys like Pesce to be re-signed for $4 million, TT to be re-signed for $5.4 million, or Slavin to be re-signed for $5.3 million. They will run into the same issue the Blackhawks did where 4-5 core pieces at $20 million turn into 2 core pieces at $20 million.

I hope the next wave of "prime" players does materialize. The Canes will need to continue to draft well, develop well, sign well, and find some luck along the way.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I see Detroit and Dallas, among numerous other clubs with open 1A/1B slots, being interested in Reimer as a short-term tandem goalie. In Detroit's case, Bernier is the only NHL-caliber goalie on Detroit's roster, so that's a team that could very well offer a draft pick + fringe prospect for Reimer without giving any salary back. I could also see Boston as a club that would be interested in Reimer, particularly since Halak is likely to move to a different club for a bigger role. A big reason for Rask being so good this year was because Halak was such a reliable 1B, which led to Rask being fresh almost every game.
Forslund warned against a Mrazek- Ned pairing in net.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I don't think they will let all of them go. But I don't expect guys like Pesce to be re-signed for $4 million, TT to be re-signed for $5.4 million, or Slavin to be re-signed for $5.3 million. They will run into the same issue the Blackhawks did where 4-5 core pieces at $20 million turn into 2 core pieces at $20 million.

I hope the next wave of "prime" players does materialize. The Canes will need to continue to draft well, develop well, sign well, and find some luck along the way.

You forgot another thing that's perhaps the single most important mechanism for our big club: trade well. This is an organization and front office that clearly loves to trade. In fact, the main reason that it's good for our club to develop well is because it increases the overall worth of our future trade fodder. There will certainly be a few home-grown guys that will happen to percolate to our big-league roster, of course, but the vast bulk of them will get their big NHL opportunity from the bloc of rebuilding clubs du jour via trade, which changes every year.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Forslund warned against a Mrazek- Ned pairing in net.

It's one thing to say that in the middle of the season, and it's another when there's a big offseason opportunity to make a splash in the trade market because Tampa and/or Toronto are in cap hell. That type of roster decision-making evolves depending on the context of the market.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I hope so. I guess I am just not as hopeful as everyone else is at this point. All it takes is one person to get sick and this whole concept crumbles. I just think the whole premise is built on too shaky a footing for it to really work. Too many moving parts and too public an embarrassment if it goes tits up.

I see the Canes' window being much longer than 4 years if the FO plays their cards correctly and doesn't hand out albatrosses to the likes of Brent Seabrook for reasons of continuity. I don't see our organization being the kind of club that will just let four key pieces go for nothing in one offseason. I expect that our club will choose 1 or 2 guys from that list to extend long-term (my prediction is Aho and Slavin) as the chosen "dads" of our next wave of prime players, and then "Faulk" the other pieces for picks and players before their deals expire, ideally with sign-and-trades.

Agreed 100%. I am seeing shades of the New England Patriots philosophy in the way we are handling our contracts. We have a very clear style that we want to play, and we are going to target the players we know who can play in it. We try to lock in reasonable contracts with term so we can better spread the talent out. That said, as we saw with Aho, if push comes to shove, we aren't scared to sign a player for a lot of money if he deserves it. Our initial offers might be low, but thats just a part of negotiation. And, we're also not afraid to move anyone if we think there is a deal to be had with someone who may be in a better position to help us achieve all our goals down the line, even if the experts scream that we took a bath on the deal up front.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Given that teams like Toronto and Vegas struggled this year when putting scrubs as their backups, to the point they both had to go out and acquire competent veteran backups, I still wouldn't hand the job to Ned.

If they want to look into moving Reimer for a cheaper, proven backup option, that's fine. They can even still hold onto Ned if desired, though I still saw no reason to. But otherwise, I'm certainly not opposed to holding onto Reimer.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Given that teams like Toronto and Vegas struggled this year when putting scrubs as their backups, to the point they both had to go out and acquire competent veteran backups, I still wouldn't hand the job to Ned.

If they want to look into moving Reimer for a cheaper, proven backup option, that's fine. They can even still hold onto Ned if desired, though I still saw no reason to. But otherwise, I'm certainly not opposed to holding onto Reimer.

That's up to the FO to decide, though. Who knows if Ned is a scrub or if Ned is Francouz 2.0. I trust our goaltending scouts, no matter what their final decision is, seeing how they picked up Mrazek and Reimer, two imminently competent netminders, essentially from the trash heap.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That's up to the FO to decide, though. Who knows if Ned is a scrub or if Ned is Francouz 2.0. I trust our goaltending scouts, no matter what their final decision is, seeing how they picked up Mrazek and Reimer, two imminently competent netminders, essentially from the trash heap.
Well duh they get to decide. And I put out my opinion on it. And while we me not know exactly what anyone thinks, so far, we haven't seen anything that says for certain they Ned is the answer either. He didn't get the 10 games that were foretold, or any, until injury forced their hand. They acquired veteran help last offseason that runs through this next season. He had some very obvious flaws and struggles when he came up. He has had his share of inconsistencies in the AHL even amongst his stellar years.

Teams like Toronto and Vegas went cheap with this type of backup, and both struggled for large portions of the year in spite of filling up their rosters with splashes like you want. I'm just throwing it out there that I think that approach has obvious dangers. They or anyone else may think differently, and that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad