All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 10 (45 Days to the Trade Deadline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Fleury needs a chance next to Pesce as well. He's one of the more consistent d-men for us when he plays. He doesn't have the offensive upside of Gardiner but at least he won't make even the most average skaters look like Pavel Bure in a foot race. We might get some production from Gardiner vs. weaker matchups too.
Fleury has earned the chance to be next to Pesce, Gardiner has had some mild improvement to me but I’d put him with TVR and see what the kid can do in the top 4.

Aside from Edmunson being a lefty, the injury has been a good opportunity to see where guys can line up. Playing Fleury on his wrong side was useless. Swap out Edmunson for a righty and we actually could have a very balanced group without Dougie. Which says to me the righty we hypothetically get should be more of a TVR replacement than a Dougie one, and he should be here next year.

The offensive lines won’t last obviously. He’s just shaking things up after a loss. He wants to put Williams with Aho. You know it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is it safe to say Staal is now at the point where more goals die on his stick than his defensive play prevents? I think we'd be ok with him maybe if he were just a overpaid 3C, but he's getting utilized like a 2C+ and dragging down offensive players
Apart from the one stretch of brilliant play down the stretch last year, that's been the case for about two years now.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Apart from the one stretch of brilliant play down the stretch last year, that's been the case for about two years now.
It's like all the Staals are fairly brilliant for a handful of good years with a team (Eric had 10, Jordan had 6ish, Marc had about 7-8), but inevitably ALL of them start to suck for their team after too long (or when they hit 31?)

Reactions: cptjeff

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I feel like, so far, the plug-and-play, value search by the front office is very much TBD. Haula, Dzingel, Gardiner, and to a lesser extent Edmondson were acquisitions where pretty much all of us were thinking “wow, we got THAT guy?” in a good way. And so far, in all of their cases, there are really big question marks.

I guess I’m a little bummed that the obvious chemistry of last year seems to be a little bit lacking .... both on ice and off (Haula). I know it’s not a bad thing to constantly be looking to improve the roster, but there is a fine line. Hopefully they pull it together a little bit.

maybe the new acquisitions are simply not yet adjusted, which is understandable only halfway through the year. Just seems like a case of too much turnover. I hope I’m wrong.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If he’s out for any real time, save the assets and call up a couple of the young guys. See if our talent pool is really what we think/hope it is.
I don’t think Rod is down with that plan though. Mckeown clearly isn’t on the radar of the Borg. Bean should’ve already been given another shot if they were going to do it this year. We’re in a dead heat with multiple teams for the rest of the season, Rod isn’t going to put a kid in now if he doesn’t have to, for better or worse.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don’t think Rod is down with that plan though. Mckeown clearly isn’t on the radar of the Borg. Bean should’ve already been given another shot if they were going to do it this year. We’re in a dead heat with multiple teams for the rest of the season, Rod isn’t going to put a kid in now if he doesn’t have to, for better or worse.
If Pesce had missed time, and if the Borg called up random Checker defenseman, you think Rod is playing 5D instead of 6D?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I guess, but with how much been talked about as if it's a certainty (by Civian, at least), I get the feeling that it's going to happen. I'd be willing to make one of these funny-money bets on it if there were a home game this week, but I'm less confident in them pulling Bean away from the Checkers for the full 4-game western road trip. That's a lot of NHL salary, after all!

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I guess, but with how much been talked about as if it's a certainty (by Civian, at least), I get the feeling that it's going to happen. I'd be willing to make one of these funny-money bets on it if there were a home game this week, but I'm less confident in them pulling Bean away from the Checkers for the full 4-game western road trip. That's a lot of NHL salary, after all!

Nah, I just don't see our organization that way. They love AHL stashing as long as they possibly can until they've saved up the necessary cap space. They will keep stashing until the deadline. Only then will they think about calling up Bean/McKeown/Kaski, barring injury.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That why I say “if he doesn’t have to”.

I’m saying I don’t think either of them are getting a call up based on earning a shot while we’re in the hunt.

The safe bet, and usually the best bet when the Metro is this tight, is to trust the vets on defense. Yes, Jake Bean has a ton of potential, and I like both McKeown and Kaski's games, however, there's still a huge skill gap between the NHL and the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad