All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread Part XI - The Search Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
I like Necas but I would love Montreals unprotected 1st next year.
for sure next year will be a good year for draft , but i doubt MTL finish last , i think they will be missing the playoffs by this much [----] , (get smart reference) LOL

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
To add, it’s 5 p.m. tomorrow. The decision on Bear will be the next bit of news to drop.

On the subject, Chicago is unsurprisingly moving on from Kubalik.

It'll be interesting to see what happens here, but Carolina has historically been a group that holds onto RFA rights and has not been a team that's been afraid of the arb guy. I see them qualifying Bear as roster insurance in case that they can't get Klingberg in UFA or find a sufficient trade. I'm pretty sure that Carolina wants Klingberg short-term in the event of a soft market, however. If they hold onto Bear and play him more minutes next year, though, I expect significant forward upgrades (think Tarasenko AND Malkin) to make up for the offensive loss on the back end.

Last edited:

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Carolina's offer to Klingberg would have to be a long the lines of: "Instead of taking 3-4 years high $$ with a mediocre team, come to Carolina for one year (same $$), play next to Slavin and get that Hamilton contract."

Carolina has no shot if a team offers big money and term.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Carolina's offer to Klingberg would have to be a long the lines of: "Instead of taking 3-4 years high $$ with a mediocre team, come to Carolina for one year (same $$), play next to Slavin and get that Hamilton contract."

Of course, but my thought was something of the likes of a 1x7 for Klingberg, not a 7x6.5.

• Wow
Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018

maybe we should play Gardiner and Bear with Slavin and trade them both at the trade deadline

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Personally, I'd first qualify Bear as insurance and then try my hand at signing Klingberg to a 1 year deal if the market is soft. If that's successful, then trade Bear for a pick, and if not, maybe focus on getting a good bottom-pair RHD like Lyubushkin and use the cap space for significant forward upgrades like Tarasenko and/or Malkin (who could be open to a 1 year/high dollar deal).

Teravainen-Aho-Jarvis
Tarasenko-Malkin-Necas
Svechnikov-Staal-Fast
Lorentz-Kotkaniemi-Martinook

Risky insurance move. Bear would very likely accept that QO considering how high it is then we’re stuck overpaying him. I doubt he’s going to do any better.

Is the plan to then waive him if we land someone better in free agency?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Risky insurance move. Bear would very likely accept that QO considering how high it is then we’re stuck overpaying him. I doubt he’s going to do any better.

Is the plan to then waive him if we land someone better in free agency?

My thought was, in the event of a Klingberg signing, to trade him as a throw-in to a team like Seattle, who desperately needs RHD, for one of their bottom-pair lefties (maybe Soucy?). One thing that I've seen over the years is that relatively-cheap RHD, no matter how flawed, are always pretty tradeable.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Montreal has a very, very low chance of offer sheeting anyone.
As I said late in the season or early in the offseason: who is likely to be at least decent, has the cap space to offer sheet Necas, and has the need?

With Nashville signing Forsberg, I think Dallas would be the most likely candidate.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As I said late in the season or early in the offseason: who is likely to be at least decent, has the cap space to offer sheet Necas, and has the need?

With Nashville signing Forsberg, I think Dallas would be the most likely candidate.
Dallas has Robertson to re-sign, they don’t have the space or a 2023 3rd to make it happen

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Personally, I'd first qualify Bear as insurance and then try my hand at signing Klingberg to a 1 year deal if the market is soft. If that's successful, then trade Bear for a pick
He's gonna grab you at that 1x2.4M before the fax machine has spit the papers out.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
He's gonna grab you at that 1x2.4M before the fax machine has spit the papers out.

Well sure, I'm not saying that's untrue. What I am saying is that even at that rate, there are usually suitors for trades out there for a 25 year old RHD, no matter how flawed. Just gave Seattle, who only has Larsson for a RHD option, as an example of that. I personally would take that risk in case Klingberg can't be signed.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
It'll be interesting to see what happens here, but Carolina has historically been a group that holds onto RFA rights and has not been a team that's been afraid of the arb guy. I see them qualifying Bear as roster insurance in case that they can't get Klingberg in UFA or find a sufficient trade. I'm pretty sure that Carolina wants Klingberg short-term in the event of a soft market, however. If they hold onto Bear and play him more minutes next year, though, I expect significant forward upgrades (think Tarasenko AND Malkin) to make up for the offensive loss on the back end.
I was wondering about this. I figured when Bear wasn’t moved at the draft they were either, A: actually serious about keeping him, B: waiting to include him in a larger trade for a player, or C: holding him as an option depending on what shakes out in the FA or trade market down the road.

I figure I’m in the minority here but I wouldn’t mind seeing him get another chance, IF his health and conditioning is back up to par. I assume he’s all but gone though because he’s not good enough for the top pair and likely too expensive for the bottom pair.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I was wondering about this. I figured when Bear wasn’t moved at the draft they were either, A: actually serious about keeping him, B: waiting to include him in a larger trade for a player, or C: holding him as an option depending on what shakes out in the FA or trade market down the road.

I figure I’m in the minority here but I wouldn’t mind seeing him get another chance, IF his health and conditioning is back up to par. I figure he’s all but gone though because he’s not good enough for the top pair and likely too expensive for the bottom pair.

I'm in that minority, too. Bear had long COVID in the second half and it affected his play. I'm interested to see how he does fully healthy, too. My thinking, though, is that it'll be the smart move to QO him as Klingberg insurance. Even a slightly elevated 1 year hit will be pretty tradeable in the event of such a signing because of the always-thriving market for RHD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad