All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread Part XI - The Search Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Not for nothing, Nichushkin's agents appear to be the same as Andrei Svechnikov.

I can imagine Dundon and Waddell taking a nice long look at what he is doing on Colorado's 1st line these Playoffs. He's really figured out the top line, physical scoring threat role. Wouldn't mind him mentoring Svechnikov at ~$6 million x 5 years.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
@Gocanes0506
Does Faulk mean NOTHING to you? (Can't quote from the last thread about former players w/Riemer performing best

Not for nothing, Nichushkin's agents appear to be the same as Andrei Svechnikov.

I can imagine Dundon and Waddell taking a nice long look at what he is doing on Colorado's 1st line these Playoffs. He's really figured out the top line, physical scoring threat role. Wouldn't mind him mentoring Svechnikov at ~$6 million x 5 years.
That's buying way high, which I doubt we do. I wouldn't mind Nuke if we can't bring back Nino...but he's a 30 pt player having a 2x career year...you don't lock him up to a contract like that.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
@Gocanes0506
Does Faulk mean NOTHING to you? (Can't quote from the last thread about former players w/Riemer performing best

That's buying way high, which I doubt we do. I wouldn't mind Nuke if we can't bring back Nino...but he's a 30 pt player having a 2x career year...you don't lock him up to a contract like that.
i was specifically talking about players that left this past off-season. Cuz Lindholm trumps all.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I too think the Drury makes the big club next season. While I think he's likely penciled in for the 4C position, there's a lot of potential flexibility around this youngster. Remember, while he's a natural center, he has also played a fair amount of LW. With that knowledge, I could see a couple of thing happening.

Instead of rolling a 4th line as an energy line, a line that attempts to keep an opponent's top lines hemmed in to their own zone, I could see us rolling 4 scoring lines. Another option would be to have Drury fill the Niederreiter role. While doubtful given his rookie status, I could also see him step into a 2nd line LW role.

All of these are possibilities.....and yes, I'm pumping Jack Drury's tires, but I do think he's the type of player where the team doesn't lose anything by having him move up and down the line up...in fact, we could likely gain some advantage.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It seems to me like there is zero chance of Phil Kessel ever playing for Rod... but who knows?

I thought the same thing about DeAngelo a year+ ago as well (for different reasons), and that happened, but I get your point. Phil doesn't seem like the type Rod would want.

While Rod certainly has a say in things, I also think the Borg also makes personnel decisions he isn't always in favor of. I'm not talking about losing "his guys" when they become free agents, as every coach goes through that. I'm not sure Rod was a fan of bring in guys like Gardiner and Dzingel for instance, as neither seemed like his type of player, particularly Dzingel.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I too think the Drury makes the big club next season. While I think he's likely penciled in for the 4C position, there's a lot of potential flexibility around this youngster. Remember, while he's a natural center, he has also played a fair amount of LW. With that knowledge, I could see a couple of thing happening.

Instead of rolling a 4th line as an energy line, a line that attempts to keep an opponent's top lines hemmed in to their own zone, I could see us rolling 4 scoring lines. Another option would be to have Drury fill the Niederreiter role. While doubtful given his rookie status, I could also see him step into a 2nd line LW role.

All of these are possibilities.....and yes, I'm pumping Jack Drury's tires, but I do think he's the type of player where the team doesn't lose anything by having him move up and down the line up...in fact, we could likely gain some advantage.

Hadn't really considered that, honestly. While probably unlikely, you never know what may happen. I mean, how many of us predicted that Jarvis would be stapled to the 1st Line for the last couple months of the regular season and through the Playoffs?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Don't hate the idea. A little worried we'd be buying the peak and not the new norm. He's a good player i still wish we drafted and the Svech agent connection could help. Worth a call at least.

I like it. Very unlikely he gets Center ice time given how Brindy usually eases prospects in. Nino replacement seems like a logical fit given his style when he was up earlier. Especially if that allows us to use Nino's cap hit to go big game hunting.

Reactions: DaveG

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Don't hate the idea. A little worried we'd be buying the peak and not the new norm. He's a good player i still wish we drafted and the Svech agent connection could help. Worth a call at least.

I get the hesitancy on Nichushkin's contract year. But watching him he just looks so damn good this year. From the Trades board, an Av's fan perspective:

If nothing else folks, ask yourself this.

- Nazem Kadri scored 87 points this year. He was brilliant as a do-everything second line center behind MacK and at times was the driver of the Avs offense.

- Darcy Kuemper cost is a 1st round pick and good young defender. While he hasn’t been “glorious” this post-season, he finished the regular season I think with the 5th best or so GSAA in the league and may have his name on the Cup in a week.

Losing these guys leaves a MASSIVE hole in net or second line center on the Avs moving forward.

And yet 95% (if not more) of Avs fandom would rather see the money spent to re-up our “one good season” winger.

Why do you think that is? Because we’ve all lost our collective minds? Or maybe we’ve seen a player gradually just develop into a beast - with no skipped steps along the way.

There will be a small riot at Ball Arena if the Avs let Nuke walk and make no mistake - per Friedman - the Avs have already told Nuke he is the top priority this off-season.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I like it. Very unlikely he gets Center ice time given how Brindy usually eases prospects in. Nino replacement seems like a logical fit given his style when he was up earlier. Especially if that allows us to use Nino's cap hit to go big game hunting.

When Drury was up for his 2 games, he was at C. He’s going to be there again, unless they need him at LW as a Niederreiter replacement on Staal’s line, I’d say.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I thought the same thing about DeAngelo a year+ ago as well (for different reasons), and that happened, but I get your point. Phil doesn't seem like the type Rod would want.

While Rod certainly has a say in things, I also think the Borg also makes personnel decisions he isn't always in favor of. I'm not talking about losing "his guys" when they become free agents, as every coach goes through that. I'm not sure Rod was a fan of bring in guys like Gardiner and Dzingel for instance, as neither seemed like his type of player, particularly Dzingel.
Early this past year in an interview when asked about his relationship with the front office (BORG) or some such he basically said that on occassion he does not agree with them and then gave his 'it is what it is' Rod accepting reality thing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like Nuke and have followed his career. He’s a very simple player who’s hot and getting the bounces right now. He’s probably a 15-20 goal guy when he’s consistently confident, which he never has been. 30-40 pt guy who plays hard and forechecks well maybe. Rod would love him and he would fit in well but he’s gonna get overpaid for being what he is. He’s a Fast level player generally.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Early this past year in an interview when asked about his relationship with the front office (BORG) or some such he basically said that on occassion he does not agree with them and then gave his 'it is what it is' Rod accepting reality thing.
I don’t think Rod buys into the analytics so much, hence the round peg square hole situation they seem to find themselves in at times with certain players . One thing that stuck out to me about exit interviews this off-season was TDA dropping Dundon’s name. Is there a group of players along with Rod who have Dundons ear?

As far as Nichushkin, he played like ass in DAL which plays a system very similar to the Hurricanes, dump and chase. It took him two seasons in a controlled entry, possession system to finally put it all together. I don’t think throwing him into a system similar to the one that he never was comfortable to begin with would be doing him or the team any favors.

Quite frankly unless Rod changes their play style. I’ve come to the realization that we should expect a roster full of big N<->S Canadian boys who drive Ford trucks instead of foreign sports cars. They’ll make it to the big show with regularly, but likely get out skated by teams that built around speed and skill.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I don’t think Rod buys into the analytics so much, hence the round peg square hole situation they seem to find themselves in at times with certain players . One thing that stuck out to me about exit interviews this off-season was TDA dropping Dundon’s name. Is there a group of players along with Rod who have Dundons ear?

As far as Nichushkin, he played like ass in DAL which plays a system very similar to the Hurricanes, dump and chase. It took him two seasons in a controlled entry, possession system to finally put it all together. I don’t think throwing him into a system similar to the one that he never was comfortable to begin with would be doing him or the team any favors.

Quite frankly unless Rod changes their play style. I’ve come to the realization that we should expect a roster full of big N<->S Canadian boys who drive Ford trucks instead of foreign sports cars. They’ll make it to the big show with regularly, but likely get out skated by teams that built around speed and skill.

The funny thing is those are the types of guys we were drafting under Francis but we’ve changed entirely since new ownership and management took over. Rod may want more of those guys but thankfully he doesn’t have total control over the roster.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020

fair points. I think he's a natural center so why not give him experience there if he makes the club (I think he's a lock barring trades/FA activity). counter point is (credit NotOpie) if he earns more playing time at wing, play him. I think he's a guy who plays 10 years with this club. right pedigree. assume Rod and Borg love him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad