All purpose trade/roster building thread part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Now you're being greedy LMAO!
I mean that’s our management in a nutshell so far! Stocked on defense already? Add more defense.

JR would probably give up a finger before giving up Dumo for something that wasn’t big. I wouldn’t trade that guy for anything short of the next center after Crosby. He’s a Pesce. You hold onto those guys imo.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I mean that’s our management in a nutshell so far! Stocked on defense already? Add more defense.

JR would probably give up a finger before giving up Dumo for something that wasn’t big. I wouldn’t trade that guy for anything short of the next center after Crosby. He’s a Pesce. You hold onto those guys imo.

I really don't think that it's about them being obsessed with defensemen. I think they simply view the game as a "get talent at good value and fit them in later" scheme.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

We resign Vats and we could probably offload Gardiner to Pitt for a Kings ransom. As we all know, JR has made it his career goal to acquire as many marginal puck moving defensemen as he can over his career.

Could you imagine the Pens with Jack Johnson and Jake Gardiner as 2 of their main defensive stalwarts going forward?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm still holding out hope for Fleury. If he can take the step to get to that 2nd pairing level, he rounds out Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce perfectly with his size, skating and what should be a cost-effective contract or two. Let Skjei or Bean, whichever one is left after the expansion draft next year, attack on a sheltered 3rd pairing.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm still holding out hope for Fleury. If he can take the step to get to that 2nd pairing level, he rounds out Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce perfectly with his size, skating and what should be a cost-effective contract or two. Let Skjei or Bean, whichever one is left after the expansion draft next year, attack on a sheltered 3rd pairing.

Now that you mention it
Dougie-Slavin
Vats-Pesce
Bean-Fleury

I could live with that next year

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We resign Vats and we could probably offload Gardiner to Pitt for a Kings ransom. As we all know, JR has made it his career goal to acquire as many marginal puck moving defensemen as he can over his career.

Could you imagine the Pens with Jack Johnson and Jake Gardiner as 2 of their main defensive stalwarts going forward?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It's not super clear from the internet hits I got, so I'll ask: is Fox Sports GO in 4K?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I still hate that we gave him up in that trade, and I actually LIKE Jordan

It's not super clear from the internet hits I got, so I'll ask: is Fox Sports GO in 4K?
No idea, sorry

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Oh crap, now I see that I asked an off-topic question in this thread instead of the thread where an off-topic conversation was already happening.

b8cb02c2bf36e3fc40b9ed9a3462c0a9.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I posted this on the game board, but I also think that this is relevant to next season's defense:

Notably, look at how great our top-2 pairings of Slavin-Vatanen and Skjei-Edmundson have been relative to the usage they've gotten. They have, in fact, been the best high-usage pairings in the playoffs so far. Our 3rd pairing of Gardiner-Fleury has also been the best in the league during these past three games. If Skjei, Gardiner, and everyone else keeps up this elite level of play and brings us to the Cup Finals, I don't think that we'll have any issues with finding takers for any of these contracts if we absolutely have to trade them for any reason at all. I still think that in the end, Eddy and Vatanen will cash in big from a fabulous postseason (possibly to future albatrosses) and our defense next season will be Slavin/Hamilton/Skjei/Pesce/Gardiner/Fleury/Bean. Maybe if Tampa is in such a cap bind that they have to trade Cirelli, you deal one of those guys for picks and use the space and draft capital to acquire him and sign him long-term, but none of it is necessary.

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Spectacular performance by our defense, everyone was so solid, even Eddie but Tampa/Flyers/Craps/Bruins are much better than Rangers.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
we have OptimusReimer and Merrazzeldazzle under contract next season still.

I mean, If let’s say TO offers Nylander for Pesce, and we keep Vats. Do you do it or not.
I wouldn’t. I think Pesce has way more value. I miss him more than I miss Dougie, and I miss Dougie. We’ve never been as organized defensively under Rod as we were before imo, we really push to get the puck out of the zone quick but look scattered when we get hemmed in, and it often comes down to raw defensive ability a lot in those moments and Pesce is a glue guy that way. He’s also the closest we have to Dehaan who I think we’ve missed, a combo of hustle, grit and defensive ability.

I know Nylander is a very good forward and another skill righty would be awesome but not at that price.

If we’re raiding TO I’d be after Kapanen anyways. Hopefully cheaper than Pesce to acquire, Rod will love him. He plays a lot closer to our system while raising the skill level a bit. Speed, hustle, plays in straight lines and is smart defensively. That’s us under Rod. We tried to add skill this year, but the two biggies don’t play our way naturally, meaning Jake and Dzingle. They both can improve but I think there’s a lesson in there. Add skill that plays our style already. Kapanen always made sense to me.

Trochek is a good example now that we’ve seen him with some confidence. That guy fits in, and plays the way we like and needed in that spot. He’s skilled but smart, plays both ways hard, wins draws and seems to fit in pretty seamlessly overall. I really like him this series.

Vats fits like a glove. Jury is still out on Skjei...

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I wouldn’t. I think Pesce has way more value. I miss him more than I miss Dougie, and I miss Dougie. We’ve never been as organized defensively under Rod as we were before imo, we really push to get the puck out of the zone quick but look scattered when we get hemmed in, and it often comes down to raw defensive ability a lot in those moments and Pesce is a glue guy that way. He’s also the closest we have to Dehaan who I think we’ve missed, a combo of hustle, grit and defensive ability.

I know Nylander is a very good forward and another skill righty would be awesome but not at that price.

If we’re raiding TO I’d be after Kapanen anyways. Hopefully cheaper than Pesce to acquire, Rod will love him. He plays a lot closer to our system while raising the skill level a bit. Speed, hustle, plays in straight lines and is smart defensively. That’s us under Rod. We tried to add skill this year, but the two biggies don’t play our way naturally, meaning Jake and Dzingle. They both can improve but I think there’s a lesson in there. Add skill that plays our style already. Kapanen always made sense to me.

Trochek is a good example now that we’ve seen him with some confidence. That guy fits in, and plays the way we like and needed in that spot. He’s skilled but smart, plays both ways hard, wins draws and seems to fit in pretty seamlessly overall. I really like him this series.

Vats fits like a glove. Jury is still out on Skjei...

Skjei for Kap?

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad