All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
@Sens1Canes2 can confirm, but I sincerely doubt Ottawa trades Brady anytime soon. He's as important to them as Svech is to us, and has a pretty decent chance of being their next captain.
I would call him much more valuable (given our relative dearth of proven talent)...but yeah, point being, he’s the heart and soul of the team and I can’t imagine he’s going anywhere.

NOW, there is always Melnyk to consider ... but thus far he’s only ever balked at paying long, UFA type extensions. This will be Tkachuk’s second contract and they can either bridge for a reasonable amount OR buy up some of his RFA years with a longer extension. Either way, I don’t see any issues with him staying.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Paquette could barely hold on to a roster spot here. I cant imagine he stays. I'd love to keep all of foegele martinook and McGinn but I imagine the borg will prioritize martinook as much as Brind'Amour loves him.

Yes, Marty does have those leadership intangibles....but the way Rod speaks about Brock McGinn is something he's only done about 3 other guys, IMO - Staal, Aho, and Svech.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
How much money would we throw at Jones if Dougie walks and we don't need to resign all the 4th liners/floaters?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Jones should be more forceful at requesting a trade if he wants to increase his contract value next off-season. His numbers will be bad again with Columbus unless Columbus surprises everyone with good play.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Big fan of Necas and Jarvis but I'd probably move them to get Eichel as well. And I'm not the world's biggest Eichel fan. I think that gives you a chance to go to another level. Get them to take on Gardiner as part of that and you might really be cooking. Don't think it's happening though, so I'm more than happy to keep our players.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Big fan of Necas and Jarvis but I'd probably move them to get Eichel as well. And I'm not the world's biggest Eichel fan. I think that gives you a chance to go to another level. Get them to take on Gardiner as part of that and you might really be cooking. Don't think it's happening though, so I'm more than happy to keep our players.
I wouldn’t give both. One or the other.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't give them both up lightly. But moving out Gardiner and assuming that giving them both would be the only package we could complete the trade with in competition with other teams, I'd grudgingly do it. Again, I don't see us going that route anyways.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Just for fun:

1st + Gardiner + Trocheck + Necas or Jarvis

A 1st is a given. Asking Buffalo to take on Gardiner to make the cap work is not unfair, if Eichel is being acquired sans retention. Trocheck would be a logical component of a deal. He becomes a short-term luxury; a veteran center on a 1 year deal could soak up Middle 6 minutes while Eichel recovers. Buffalo will need a veteran center to play big minutes early next season. He could then either be re-signed, or more likely, dealt for a good rental return at the deadline (1st+). Necas or Jarvis is the prize.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Just for fun:

1st + Gardiner + Trocheck + Necas or Jarvis

A 1st is a given. Asking Buffalo to take on Gardiner to make the cap work is not unfair, if Eichel is being acquired sans retention. Trocheck would be a logical component of a deal. He becomes a short-term luxury; a veteran center on a 1 year deal could soak up Middle 6 minutes while Eichel recovers. Buffalo will need a veteran center to play big minutes early next season. He could then either be re-signed, or more likely, dealt for a good rental return at the deadline (1st+). Necas or Jarvis is the prize.
Obviously depends on other available offers but my immediate reaction has Buffalo saying no. I think the moving part of Tro needing to be signed or traded isn't quite what they'd want to deal with.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
31 Thoughts podcast today...when discussing the Canes:

-Friedman says he received a "cryptic" text on Thursday re: RBA...said was told to buckle his seatbelt. He thinks it means RBA may at least talk to the interested parties or a deal might be harder to close than had been expected.

-Marek joked that Svech needs an offer sheet.

EF said, in general, across the league to expect an uptick in trade requests after the brutality of this season. Players want to be comfortable where they are playing and living.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
31 Thoughts podcast today...when discussing the Canes:

-Friedman says he received a "cryptic" text on Thursday re: RBA...said was told to buckle his seatbelt. He thinks it means RBA may at least talk to the interested parties or a deal might be harder to close than had been expected.

-Marek joked that Svech needs an offer sheet.

EF said, in general, across the league to expect an uptick in trade requests after the brutality of this season. Players want to be comfortable where they are playing and living.

I listened to that as well today. I took things just a bit differently. They way I heard it was that Friedman was mentioning that other teams will want to talk to him, not the other way around. There’s the feeling that RBA either coaches in CAR or bust. Also there’s the general feeling that Hamilton is gone.

Regardless of what Friedman was saying, it’s getting a bit ridiculous on how management handles contract extensions:

-Aho offer-sheet
-Waddell, basically another offer-sheet
-Justin Williams last year

They have issues re-signing players and general managers is seems. I don’t know how much of it is Dundon or what, but it’s a concern for sure. I still don’t doubt RBA being re-signed, but it’s drawn on long enough, just get it done.

Thank goodness for the flat-cap, else there might be another offer sheet on the way for Svechnikov

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I doubt Dundon is gonna screw up something that is trending in the right direction over failed contract negotiations.

I do think he's a hard ass in terms of getting the deal where he wants it, and that could eventually backfire.

Also, he probably hates all the publicity surrounding this stuff. Nobody knew or cared when he was sticking it to people in the auto loan industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad