Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alcaraz looked awesome clobbering groundies while defeating Ruud in straight sets. Definitely one to watch develop.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Anyone who saw Karatsev's straight set win over Musetti yesterday heard a lot of alarm bells going off. Musetti's footwork looked alarming, his technique shoddy, his court coverage mediocre, and even his vaunted backhand ended up with a 1/12 winner/unforced error ratio.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Losing to Garin on clay is certainly no sin, but Felix went very quietly in that second set. Toni has his work cut out for him.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole demonstrates just how great the gap is between himself and his heir apparent, crunching Sinner, 4 and 2. Very impressive.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Eerily similar to Roger's recent return, Nole follows a superb opening match with a real stinker. Evans, Roger's victim in the earlier instance, is the beneficiary this time around and, indeed, he deserved the win.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Monte Carlo update

Quarterfinals

Goffin over Evans: Goffin upset Zverev who had been playing very well and Evans knocked off Djokovic. but I think David has the edge on slow clay.

Tsitsipas over Davidovich Fokina: ADF has had an excellent tournament beating De Minaur and Berrettini, but Tsitsipas has looked superb so far. Stefanos' running forehand approach shot is not just becoming his signature move, it is becoming one of the best shots in tennis. Tsitsipas is definitely my pick to win Monte Carlo.

Nadal over Rublev: Nadal looks just fine, but he has faced virtually no resistance from his first two opponents (5 games lost in two matches), so it is hard to tell just how on form he really is. Rublev beat RBA in a three-hour, come-from-behind, absolute war with 50 points going 9 strokes or over. He is such a tenacious fighter but I doubt he has enough left in the tank to seriously challenge Rafa tomorrow.

Fognini likely over Rudd: Ruud has looked very impressive, especially his forehand, and Fabio has had a fairly easy draw compared to these other guys. An upset wouldn't surprise me here at all.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's an awesome win by Rublev.
Kind of like the irresistible force meets the immovable object with those two bulldogs. After a very hard second set loss, Rublev dominated that third set and didn't waver an inch after Rafa broke right back for 1-all at the start of the set. Once Andrey gets his teeth in a match, he will not let go. Given how good the rest of his game is, I can see that characteristic taking him to #1.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxV

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ruud continues his fine play with a tough, straight set win over Fognini. And Tsitsipas takes the hard played first set after which Davidovich Fokina is forced to tearfully retire with a leg injury of some sort. One for four on the day, so I am right on my usual guaranteed pace.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There's Felix sitting right on #20 like he has been glued to it for two years.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great win for Rublev. Looking more and more like Rafa's B game isn't going to cut it anymore, even on clay.
True, but there's a long ways between Monte Carlo and Roland Garros. Still, Rublev is developing quicker than I thought on clay.

Reactions: Filppula

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Leylah is up 5-3 in the 3rd after just breaking. Serving for the match and tie.

Edit: maybe I should shut up. Back on serve after a weak game.

A light bulb has burnt out at yet another match point. This set is over an hour long and now they have to wait for a maintenance guy.

We've gone to a commercial break at break point, match point for Fernandez. It seems like it's a bank of lights, not just one bulb.

We have power. Match point saved but now one more.

Leylah wins!!! Canada wins!

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas over Evans who has had a nice run, but can't see him getting past an in-form Tsitsipas

Rublev probably over Ruud: Does Andrey have enough energy left after two high tension, gruelling wars? Ruud's forehand has been one of the stories of the tournament. Should be interesting.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Stefanos 2 and 1 over Evans. One of those fore-ordained matches where one guy is playing real relaxed because he knows he is going to win and the other guy is playing a little frustrated because he knows he is going to lose. Most of us have been there: fun when you are in the driver's seat; not so much when you are the patsy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev 3 and 5 over Ruud. Despite a brief lull in the second set, Andrey made this look like a relatively easy day. Should be a fun final.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Rublev passes Federer in rankings, would pass Zverev also with a final win.

Djokovic elected to play in his home town tournament instead of a more prestigious Barcelona tournament.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev passes Federer in rankings, would pass Zverev also with a final win.

Djokovic elected to play in his home town tournament instead of a more prestigious Barcelona tournament.
For a likely half million under the table, I would, too.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just watched highlights. Did Evans have an unpleasant exchange with his coach in the first set?
Was that it? I thought he might have been annoyed with a line call. But maybe I'm wrong. He definitely had a burr in his saddle about something.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Was that it? I thought he might have been annoyed with a line call. But maybe I'm wrong. He definitely had a burr in his saddle about something.

I just saw the highlights, so I'm not sure. If it was a line call, wouldn't he challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad