Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After what happened today in Belgrade, Barcelona tomorrow could be a preview of the French Open final.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bizarre really.
There is no comparable. Mark Edmondson, ranked #212, came out of nowhere to win the Australian Open in 1973, beating Rosewall and Newcombe along the way. But, at 21 years of age, he was just starting a decent, not great career. Karatsev is 27 and nobody has ever emerged at that late date with the kind of power game that he has. I like the "sold his soul to the devil" theory, myself.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas with the early break. His down-the-line game has reached another level. It's like he and his opponent, even Rafa, are playing on different sized courts, 3-1.

Wow. Stefanos gets just a little complacent and, bam, Rafa breaks twice in a row to take a set that moments earlier seemed to be steadily slipping away.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2nd set: Grind, grind, grind with Tsitsipas getting another early break, 2-1....Rafa just being Rafa breaks back for 3-all and Stefanos looks a little tired at the moment.

Rafa saves two set points in the breaker only to double fault at 6-all and Stefanos takes an absolutely gruelling set to even the match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3rd set: Rafa magic almost leads to a break but Tsitsipas toughs it out, 3-2 on serve.

Games flying by at love of 15 like both players are fast-forwarding to the deciding set breaker, 5-4 Nadal to serve to even the set.

Rafa almost blinks, saves a match point, but gets the set to 5-all.

A little two point lapse in concentration early in the game puts Tsistipas in hot water and on the fourth break point he loses serve, 6-5, Rafa serving for the match.

Rafa saves a break point but holds for the match, 7-5

INSANE MATCH!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadoop

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Rafa wins by the skin of his teeth on the court bearing his name. Excellent couple of weeks from Tsistipas though despite falling short today.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So the age-old message going into Madrid remains the same from Rafa: "You have to play this hard, and you still can't beat me." Once he gets over the hurt, a lot of positives for Stefanos, though. You can't come much closer than he did.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
So the age-old message going into Madrid remains the same from Rafa: "You have to play this hard, and you still can't beat me." Once he gets over the hurt, a lot of positives for Stefanos, though. You can't come much closer than he did.

At some point you would think age will catch up to Rafa.

He is starting to look less invincible on clay.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At some point you would think age will catch up to Rafa.

He is starting to look less invincible on clay.
I still think there are only maybe three players that could possibly beat him at Roland Garros, and one of them is missing in action lately. Even at Roland Garros, I wonder how a seven match tournament is going to effect him--there are few players who can beat him, but there are other players these days who can wear him down: Rublev, Schwartzman, Sinner, maybe Fog on a good day. If he gets a tough draw, I still wouldn't pick the field, though. Not quite yet. I think he might have just one more French Open title in him. Just think, Rafa would then have the same number of French Open titles that #4 Pete Sampras has GS titles. Beyond mind boggling.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I still think there are only maybe three players that could possibly beat him at Roland Garros, and one of them is missing in action lately. Even at Roland Garros, I wonder how a seven match tournament is going to effect him--there are few players who can beat him, but there are other players these days who can wear him down: Rublev, Schwartzman, Sinner, maybe Fog on a good day. If he gets a tough draw, I still wouldn't pick the field, though. Not quite yet. I think he might have just one more French Open title in him. Just think, Rafa would then have the same number of French Open titles that #4 Pete Sampras has GS titles. Beyond mind boggling.

Definitely.

I do wonder if Pete could have won more. He retired at 31 and won his last GS.

Regardless, Rafa's dominance at FO is something that has never been seen before in tennis.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapo doesn't like being a tournament's #1 seed, it appears. It has happened twice and twice he has lost in the first round to a player ranked far beneath him. His third set against Moutet was an unmitigated disaster on every possible level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alexandr Dolgopolov retired. The seemingly innocuous wrist injury that he suffered in practice in 2018 just never came around, even after two surgeries. Sorry to see him go as he was always an entertaining player to watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Unlikely clay court finalists in Munich: Struff vs Basilashvili, who knocked off Ruud who finally just ran out of gas after playing a ton of tennis lately.

In Esstoril final: Ramos-Vinolas versus Norrie.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't think I have ever seen before an important clay court final contested between two unabashed, one-dimensional power hitters without a scintilla of finesse between them. Basilashvili, who is making a habit this year of either getting knocked off in the firsts round or winning a championship (2), is hard to beat in that circumstance and he won Munich 4 and 6 over Struff. Crosscourt forehand exchanges were like watching Olympian gods throwing lightening bolts at one another (Disney version).

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fun factoid: In his first ten years on the pro tour, Aslan Karatsev earned roughly $550,000, averaging out to $55,000 a year. In the first four months of 2021, he has earned $875,000.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ramos-Vinolas, the player God made just before She got Bautista-Agut right, won Estoril against Cameron Norrie, of ugly serve, uglier forehand and non-existent backhand, in three tedious sets, 7-6 in the third.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Muchova unceremoniously bounces Osaka out of Madrid in three sets. She fully deserved the win.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mannarino's uber-finesse game got absolutely devoured by Alcaraz's power and speed, 4 and love. I may not be on Musetti's bandwagon, but I'm on this guy's.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bublik knocks off Shapo in three. Bublik didn't have to do much in the deciding set except stay involved becaise Shapo had another lousy final set.

FAA still struggling against Ruud who I doubt Felix wanted to run into right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Karatsev thumps Schwartzman again, this time on clay, 6-1 in the third set. Aslan has stopped surprising me....well, almost.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tuggy: Are you being held hostage? Can I help?
MsMeow: Cat got your tongue? Where is everybody?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Karatsev thumps Schwartzman again, this time on clay, 6-1 in the third set. Aslan has stopped surprising me....well, almost.
Broke one of Schwartzman's service games at love too.

A step away from passing Khachanov in the rankings.

2 guys heading in opposite direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad