Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Shapovalov knocked out by Fritz 7-5 in the 3rd...

Fernandez lost in Guadalajara but Genie is in the QF!

She'll play later today.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No artistry today. Basilashvili, in the throes of a horrendous seven month slump, got his power game together and wore Roger down in three sets. Though Federer actually got to a match point, he looked like tennis was suddenly a lot of drudgery and hard work by the end.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
No artistry today. Basilashvili, in the throes of a horrendous seven month slump, got his power game together and wore Roger down in three sets. Though Federer actually got to a match point, he looked like tennis was suddenly a lot of drudgery and hard work by the end.

He has withdrawn from Dubai.

I honestly wonder how much longer we'll see him play. Such a long layoff at his age...injuries piling up.

We'll see if he plays Miami.

Can't imagine he'll play much of the clay season.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I honestly wonder how much longer we'll see him play. Such a long layoff at his age...injuries piling up.

I was thinking the same thing, it's been a race against time for the past few years and now this very long layoff.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

My thoughts exactly. He looked more like Murray yesterday, slower with resulting problems in foot work. Double knee surgery at his age is no joke.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Red hot Bautista-Agut, who defeated Thiem yesterday, knocks off Rublev today. Rublev won only 6% of his second serves.

After Medvedev lost the first set in his first match with Sinner, he has absolutely dominated, today winning 6-2, 6-4 in their second meeting. Not even as close as the set scores suggest.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie into the final!

Crazy week for her.

Played the doubles final in Lyon on Sunday. Hoped in a plane to Mexico and played her first round match on Tuesday. And here she is in the final.

Also played doubles this week and only lost yesterday.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Basilashvili wins Doha in straight sets over RBA. The match was played in an absolute wind tunnel, close to the worst I've ever seen.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev takes Province with a tough three set win agains Herbert, who had a game plan others might want to take note of before playing against Daniil--mix a lot of serve and volleying and taking the net in with your backcourt game to put the shoe on the other foot and keep Medvedev guessing for a change.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Vasek lost today but Felix looking good right now.

Up a set and break against Sandgren.

Fernandez will play tonight.

19 year old college star Liam Draxl had a nice win today over world #268 Quiroz at a CH in Cleveland.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
And of course, Felix plays a clean match until it's time to serve for the match...3 DF's and it's 5-5 in the second set.

Lost count of how many times Felix has done this.

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix thankfully finishes it off in the tiebreak. But still nervy moments...took way longer than it should have. Took multiple match points.

6 match points...

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Solid win for Shapovalov over Struff today in Dubai, someone who's had his number in the past.

Fernandez also won last night.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bublik manhandled Sinner in their first set 6-2. The second set was dead even (both players converted 100% of their first serves--don't see that stat often). In the third set Sinner took over as Bublik's attention span was fading. Fun match, though,

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another nice win for Denis today in Dubai, straight sets over Hurkacz.

Fernandez was a winner in Monterrey last night, but Bouchard lost.

Felix up against Korda tonight in an interesting one. Couple of 20 year olds.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Outside of Korda and, maybe, Nakashima, in terms of 22-and-under players, the US cupboard looks really quite bare these days. FAA versus Korda later today should be a good measuring stick for both players concerning where they are at the moment.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner wins an absolute beauty 7-5 in the third against a near perfect Bautista-Agut at his most frustrating and most implacable best. Sinner hung in there patiently and constructed some gorgeous points along the way that allowed him to get a win that easily might have gone the other way. Incredibly skilled performance and an even more incredibly mature performance.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz has no answer for Rublev's serve in his first set loss to the Russian, 6-3. Andrey's service games lasted an average of one minute and forty seconds.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felilx wins 3 and 4. About the only thing to be said about the match is that Korda stunk the joint out worse than Felix, but neither looked like a world beater any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad