Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix cruises into the final. He'll face Daniel Evans.

Can Felix finally get that first title??
No, not close. So let's say he cleans up his lack of concentration and consistency (31 unforced errors in a 6-2, 6-3 match). He still needs to develop a return game. He had one break point in the entire match and that was because Evans tightened serving for the championship at 5-2.. The rest of the match, Felix did absolutely nothing against a vanilla service game ranked 61st on the tour.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner won his second championship (not counting Next Gen) in straight sets over fellow countryman Travaglia, but was first serving at only 175-185 km throughout the match. Something to watch against Denis in the first round on Monday.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Sinner won his second championship (not counting Next Gen) in straight sets over fellow countryman Travaglia, but was first serving at only 175-185 km throughout the match. Something to watch against Denis in the first round on Monday.

No way Jannik can win on Monday, both him and Travaglia were exhausted. In semifinal he seemed very tired and yesterday he was dragging himself around the tennis court. The good thing is that with this tournament he is in the top 30 and can avoid draws like.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2021 Predictions (not a lot of change)

Most improved player: Jannick Sinner (currently #34)
GS winners: Nadal, Djokovic, Medvedev, Thiem
GS winners: Osaka 2, Barty, Halep
End of year #1: Djokovic
End of year #1: Barty
No one outside of the top eight male players will make a GS final this yearn (Nole, Rafa, Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Roger, Rublev, Zverev)
New Top Ten players: Shapo replaces Schwartzman (no other changes)
Roger stays in the Top Ten but drops out of the top five
Serena stays in the Top Ten
Raonic doesn't return to the Top Ten
Long shot Top Ten player: Sinner (34)
Long shot Top Ten player: Swiatek (17)
Hot newcomer: Carlos Alcaraz (126)
Felix improves somewhat but ends the year no higher than #15
Gauff (50) makes top 30
Fernandez (87) just misses the top 50
Humbert (32), Fritz (33), Bublik (45) and Davidovich Fukina (55) move up
Schwartzman (9), Monfils (12), Goffin (15), and Wawrinka (20) move down

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bianca out again with a leg injury. She must just want to scream.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This might be the wildest factoid in tennis.

I read that if Medvedev had won the final against Djokovic, he would be ranked the #2 player in the world. Which begs the question, other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray who was the last non-Big Four player to be ranked one of the top #2 players in the world. Turns out it was Lleyton Hewitt on July 18, 2005. In other words, no player outside the elite four has been ranked #1 or #2 in 814 weeks, slightly over 15 and a half years.

Last edited:
Reactions: napoleon in rags

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This might be the wildest factoid in tennis.

I read that if Medvedev had won the final against Djokovic, he would be ranked the #2 player in the world. Which begs the question, other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray who was the last non-Big Four player to be ranked one of the top #2 players in the world. Turns out it was Lleyton Hewitt on July 18, 2005. In other words, no player outside the elite four has been ranked #1 or #2 in 814 weeks, slightly over 15 and a half years.

Doesn't surprise me with how dominant those players have been. Actually, now I think about it, I thought it would have been longer! :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Popyrin wins his first tournament in Singapore and it is a nice one. He defeated Bublik in three sets, and it was how he did it that was interesting. Bublik had a weird week of absolutely annhilating people while looking like he could care less, sort of clowning through games he didn't need to win. He looked like the second coming of Ilie Nastase, minus the meanness. He blitzgrieged Popyrin in the first set, with Popyrin looking lost and shaking his head a lot as balls whizzed by at high speed. And then in the second set, Popyrin, who has a similar kind of game, decided, what the hell, he would fight fire with fire. From that point on he hit blazing winner after winner and never did cool off until he had the championship won. In the second set he had 19 service return winners to zero for Bublick in his 6-love win. An absolutely awesome display from a player I've underrated. As for Bublik he has early Gulbis skill combined with an early Gulbis brain. It will be fun to watch these two develop.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
19-year-old Juan Manuel Cerundolo, ranked #335 won Cordoba, a 250 ATP tournament, over Ramos-Vinolas. I doubt anyone that lowly ranked ever won an ATP tournament before.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In the gloomy Addams Family Arena in Rotterdam, FAA goes down to Nishikori, 6 and 1. Felix played pretty well in the first set but Kei painted the corners in the breaker and that was that. Confidence shot, Felix went very quietly in the second set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andrey over Andy 5 and 2. Andy was very competitive for a set but lost 20 of the last 25 points. Doubles, anyone?

Rublev continues to improve his game. He has developed a net game and looks damn good doing it--giving himself more options. If we are going to have an interem #1 after Nole, someone to keep the seat warm for Sinner, I think Rublev just might have the potential to be that guy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Studies in nonchalance. Nonchalance as a form of cool, Paul, defeats nonchalance as a form of indifference, Bublik, 6-1 in the third. At 3-5 in the second set, Bublik lost the first point of the ninth game on an error and at that point decided to pack it in for the day. He is danger of becoming Bernard Tomic, 2.0 model, at this rate.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev follows up his strraight set win in the semis with another fine performance, defeating Fucsovics in straight sets in the final to win Rotterdam. He now has a 12-1 start to the year, and a 20 match win streak at the 500 level, the third longest behind Federer and Murray, but ahead of Nole and Rafa. In addition to everything else, he has become the clutchiest of the Next Gen players aw well.

Reactions: MsMeow and Tuggy

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Djokovic passes Federer for most weeks as No. 1

"The ATP year-end No. 1 ranked player, in recent decades, has been determined as the player at the head of the ATP rankings following the completion of the final tournament of the calendar year, usually in November. Prior to the early 1990s this was not always the case. Pete Sampras and Novak Djokovic hold the ATP record of six year-end No. 1 rankings. Six players have stayed at ATP No. 1 in the rankings every week of a calendar year. Roger Federer is the only player to have been ranked No. 1 every week for three consecutive calendar years. Four players (Ivan Lendl, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal) have achieved year-end No. 1 rankings in non-consecutive years." List of ATP number 1 ranked singles tennis players

I agree with McEnroe that after wining majors, being the ATP year-end No. 1 ranked player should be the most important goal.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Vasek wins his first round match in Doha...and of course his round 2 opponent is Shapovalov. :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Who would have thought? Argentina gets two 500-level ATP tournaments and the 10th ranked Argentine wins one and the 6th ranked Argentine gets to the final of the other where he is defeated by #1 ranked Argentine, Schwartzman. On top of which they happen to be brothers.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Got my first look at *deep breath* Holger Vitus Nadskov Rune, the 17-year-old phenom from that hotbed of tennis Norway. He won his first ATP tournament match against Sebastian Baez in straight sets on the slow clay in Chile and looked very good doing it.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Fernandez and Bouchard both won their first round matches in Guadalajara.

Pospisil/Shapovalov on court in Doha.

Federer returns against Evans later today.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Karatsev still making things happen. Just took the first set off Thiem.

Denis grabs the first off Vasek.

Denis wins in straights and Thiem has righted the ship.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger's back and looking just dandy in a grueling three set win over Evans.

feels-good-man

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Got my first look at *deep breath* Holger Vitus Nadskov Rune, the 17-year-old phenom from that hotbed of tennis Norway. He won his first ATP tournament match against Sebastian Baez in straight sets on the slow clay in Chile and looked very good doing it.

He won again. Definitely a bright future ahead.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He won again. Definitely a bright future ahead.
Rune knocked off the 2nd seed Paire, too. Though Benoit had one of those days where little birdies seem to be flying around his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad