Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nice win for Rublev in straight sets against Cilic in Moscow. Rublev is on the second best hot streak right now behind Medvedev and his game actually seems to be maturing. He's not just flame throwing anymore, he is putting some thought to it.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm so happy that Denis finally got his first title! Fantastic news for Murray as well, what a difference a year makes. I agree with Disco Stu, he handled his return really well. Doubles, challengers and patience were exactly what was needed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapo was very impressive today. Despite the deceptive 4 and 4 set scores, he dominated, especially on serve where he won something like 86% of his first serves outright. On his own serve, Krajinovic was coming from behind virtually all day, lucky to save as many break points as he did. Winning his first ATP title, Denis looked very much like the player we all hope he can become.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Some impacts of this win for Dennis. He moves to 27 in the live rankings, which should secure him a seed for the Australian Open.

He moves ahead of Raonic to be Canada's second highest ranked Canadian male.

Shapovalov had a huge turnaround once he had the August coaching change.

Record from April to mid August was 4-11. Since that point, he's 13-5.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
ATP Challenger Tour | ATP Tour | Tennis

You can watch Vasek's match online! He's up a break 3-1 in the first.

5 all in the first. The planes going over are SO loud and the shadows of the planes passing over are huge!

7-5 Vasek!

2-1 and up a break for Vasek in the second.

Tiebreak!

We're going 3. They're both playing well.

Vasek takes the third 6-3!

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What an amazing series of comebacks for Andy who was absolutely dead in the water already down a set, serving in the second set 1-4 love-30. I would have bet money that the match would be over in five minutes. But Andy turned that around and came back from the dead a couple of more times in the third to steal a win. Huge emotion from him at his first Championship since his injury recovery--He must have doubted this day would ever come.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In Moscow, Rublev wins his home town tournament by dominating Mannarino 4 and love. He's been playing smarter tennis lately and it really paid off today. Next year should be the make-or-break year for him--I think he is going to rise to the challenge.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Davis Cup team for Canada is announced

That's a pretty strong team, but competition will be pretty tight. I'm wondering with Shapovalov suddenly doing well in doubles makes him and Pospisil then doubles pair.

Canada doesn't really have a clear pecking order these days. A lot will depend on who's playing well at the moment.

Reactions: MsMeow and Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Davis Cup team for Canada is announced

That's a pretty strong team, but competition will be pretty tight. I'm wondering with Shapovalov suddenly doing well in doubles makes him and Pospisil then doubles pair.

Canada doesn't really have a clear pecking order these days. A lot will depend on who's playing well at the moment.

And isn't it amazing that it's a good problem to have instead of hoping for 1 decent player and a good doubles team?

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
And isn't it amazing that it's a good problem to have instead of hoping for 1 decent player and a good doubles team?

Definitely.

It's also a positive that there's less pressure for any one player to push through an injury. They're all close enough in level that if you're not at 100%, someone else who is gives the team a better chance.

Pospisil is also playing well enough that if you needed to put him in singles, he's going to give you a chance at least.

Reactions: MsMeow

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Chung knocks out Raonic in straight sets. First match back in a while, so lots of rust.

Felix and Denis should play tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad