Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Vasek is playing the CH in Las Vegas this week and continues his strong play from Asia.

He won his first round match fairly easily.

Shapovalov and Schnur are in Stockholm this week (ATP 250).

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev defeats Bublik in three entertaining sets in Moscow. It would not have taken much to see this match going the other way but somebody better soon tell Bublik how potentially good he is because he seems too stupid to figure that out for himself.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapo in straight sets over Popyrin 4 and 6. Didn't see all of the match, but everything looked like it was working well for our guy. He only got his first serve in half of the time but when he did it was deadly. Popryin also coughed up a lot of easy putaways so Shapo's network looked quite efficient and impressive for a change.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I've given up trying to predict when (if) Denis will get his first title.

Hopefully this is the week.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ridiculously easy first set for Shapo over Stebe in which Stebe took all of six points in roughly 45 minutes of play. Second set was a bit closer but never in doubt, I assume Stebe was fighting an injury because blow outs of this ease and magnitude seldom happen on tour.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pospisil beats Taro Daniel to get a Challenger SF birth. This is a productive week for a few Canadian men players, with Shapo, Diez and Pospisil all getting into semifinals.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Humbert gets to the semis in Belgium, with a nice, come-from-behind three set win over Pella. Humbert's groundstrokes, especially his forehand (which Pella relentlessly attacked in the final set), can break down under pressure, but for a young guy, he is a good and confident volleyer and, in part because of that, fearless on short balls and weak returns. No sure thing, but he has assets to build upon.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good thing Shapo was playing Sugita, though, or that poor start could have proved much more damaging than it did. Methinks Denis might have underrated his opponent a bit too much.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Though Andy pinned Humbert to the baseline for the most part and took away the easy approach shots almost entirely, Humbert was brilliant anyway, taking control from the backcourt for the first set win. Andy, looking obviously the more experienced player, took a gritty second set and then won going away in the third as so often happens when a youngster faces a skilled veteran. Kudos to both players today, though--nice match.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Raonic looks like he'll return next week in Vienna. He draws Chung.

Felix and Denis there as well.

Rublev and PCB respectively for them.

Milos and Felix would meet in R2.

Reactions: MsMeow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->