Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So Felix lost in two TB's. Didn't see the match but looked close on paper.

Denis down a set to Djokovic.

Denis goes down 3-6 3-6.

Both Felix and Denis are still alive in doubles though :laugh:

Vasek and Medvedev first up tomorrow.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's the kind of loss that has repercussions. Tsitsipas has finally defeated his kryptonite, a player he actually admitted was just better than him after Tsitsipas' last loss FAA. So huge boost in confidence for Stefanos who will feel like he has made an important psychological breakthrough. Other way around for Felix, his losing to someone he dominated as a junior and pro will feel like a regression.

Reactions: MsMeow and discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That's the kind of loss that has repercussions. Tsitsipas has finally defeated his kryptonite, a player he actually admitted was just better than him after Tsitsipas' last loss FAA. So huge boost in confidence for Stefanos who will feel like he has made an important psychological breakthrough. Other way around for Felix, his losing to someone he dominated as a junior and pro will feel like a regression.

Agreed. Also, I think Felix needed a big win here near the end of the season to keep his confidence up during the break. A win against Tsitsipas would have been a good reminder that he belongs at this level, and let him focus on fine tuning his game.

Felix rose up really quickly, and had some great stretches this year, and has stayed relatively healthy. But, I think learning to stay focused and motivated over a long season is the next challenge.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Despite Shapo's confidence before the match and despite the respectable-looking set scores, 3 and 3, Djokovic dominated every dimension of the match--short rallies, medium rallies, long rallies, service, and at the net. The only two categories which Denis "won" were aces and unforced errors. Shapo continues to make way too many sloppy, preventable errors, though he is democratic about it, messing up almost as many forehands today as backhands. He seems more than a little stuck at the moment--good at beating middle-tier players but no match for the elites.

Last edited:
Reactions: discostu

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Vasek, who served for the first set and had an additional set point, lost 6 and 5 to Medvedev, Pospisil played aggressively and took the net at every possible opportunity but lacked Medvedev's consistency. Very good match.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Federer on Next Gen: "Now they are playing with the big boys".

Novak gets 350th Masters 1000 win.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix lost his doubles March in a walkover. Anyone know why?

No source on this, just my thoughts, but Berrettini was his partner. Berrettini already played today and won and will play his QF tomorrow. I'm going to assume Berrettini wanted the rest.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rumors going around that Murray and Fognini's antics carried over into the locker room and got physical and they needed to be separated.

We'll see if more comes out about that or if there is any truth to it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rumors going around that Murray and Fognini's antics carried over into the locker room and got physical and they needed to be separated.

We'll see if more comes out about that or if there is any truth to it.
In Fog's defense, Andy didn't mention what bothered him so much about Fognini's comments which,given what has been quoted, seems pretty harmless. Could be a case of a cranky Scotsman doing a little venting.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Despite a backhand that was largely missing in action or downright bad. Roger wins over Goffin in straight sets. David was serving for the opening set and had all kind of opportunities to win it, but, as always seems to happen with these two, Roger prevailed while Goffin came up just short once again. This has been going on since 2012 when they first met (10-1, Roger). Close to a decade has gone by and virtually nothing has changed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole looked very sharp defeating Isner, 5 and 3. Both served exceptionally well, but Novak's return game is infinitely superior to Isner's and that eventually wore John down. Took some time, though.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tsitsipas pulls off the big upset against Djokovic.

I really didn't think anyone was beating Djokovic in Shanghai.

Huge win for Stef.

This puts Nadal is very good position to get YE #1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Zverev-Federer into a 3rd set. Zverev should have already won this match...

I think Zverev wins the 3rd because Federer looks gassed, but it would be a tough one to get over if he doesn't win...

Federer has completely lost it in the 3rd. Super pissed at the umpire and point violation :laugh:

He's looking 38 at the moment.

Zverev finishes it off.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yup
Taking over a major like this is the next step, but it's encouraging to see at least.

Yeah best of 5 is a different animal for sure.

Watching Federer today and you really gotta wonder, how much longer are we going to see him out there. He truly looked his age late in this match and was very frustrated.

He's 38 now and has accomplished all there is.

Maybe he wants to play until 40, but we'll see.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yeah best of 5 is a different animal for sure.

Watching Federer today and you really gotta wonder, how much longer are we going to see him out there. He truly looked his age late in this match and was very frustrated.

He's 38 now and has accomplished all there is.

Maybe he wants to play until 40, but we'll see.

40 seems like a reasonable target.

He still wins most matches without issue. I expect that a 38 year old will look his worst at this point of the season. He'll be a little fresher to start 2020 I'm guessing.

Until he's at risk of falling out of the top 10, I think he'll hang on and play the bigger tournaments at least. But, the decline may come quickly, and a guy who's used too winning very easily probably won't have a lot of fun battling it out in early rounds.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger had a lousy first set; Sascha choked the second set away in spectacular fashion blowing a 40-love lead serving for the match and wasting five break opportunities all together. But then, surprise, Zverev broke in the second game of the third set and never looked back, serving the match out as cool as a cucumber. Very frustrated, Roger got a point penalty for ball abuse.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole pretty much dominated the first set, but Tsitsipas made changes, becoming more assertive on serve and from the back court while going down the line more effectively on his backhand, with the result that a very close, well played match tipped his way, 6-3 as the third set progressed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev over Fog 3 and 6. Sort of a very steady tortoise versus a very mercurial hare kind of match. The enormous difference in concentration, and what that got each player, was fascinating to watch.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Medvedev wins in Shanghai. He's within striking distance of Federer for #3 in the world.

I wouldn't have mind watching some of it it this morning, but looks like Medvedev took care of business quickly. I did watch some Medvedev/Tsitsipas yesterday, and made me realize that it may be the first men's match I've watched on TV not involving a Canadian or big 3 in a long time.

I can't explain it, but I actually really like watching Medvedev. His matches have a very different rhythm to them that seems to capture my interest. I'm hoping he can keep this play up and be a regular contender against the top 3.

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The final turned on another choke job from Zverev. In an even set to that point, Sascha at 4-5, 30 all hit a pair of bad double faults to decide the set. Then he blew a 40-love lead in his first service game of the second set and that was that. Medvedev didn't exactly dominate from the backcourt, but he was clearly the superior player. Great win for a player who has become the tennis equivalent of the Energizer bunny.

Last edited:
Reactions: discostu

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can't explain it, but I actually really like watching Medvedev. His matches have a very different rhythm to them that seems to capture my interest. I'm hoping he can keep this play up and be a regular contender against the top 3.
I love watching Medvedev play. I agree that his matches have a different rhythm. He also has a different way of controlling points, a combination of ball placement, patience and cunning. With now six straight final appearances, this guy is no fluke.

Reactions: Hadoop and discostu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad