Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Has anyone seen much discussion on Coronavirus impact on the tennis schedule. Things are evolving rapidly, and with speculation of some drastic impacts on the NHL and NBA schedule, I have to think that tennis is also very vulnerable. California is among the more volatile regions in the US right now, and tennis being such an international sport is likely to contribute to the risks.

I'm seeing a lot of media attention on the major North American sports, but surprised there hasn't been much discussed outside of some rudimentary precautions they are taking (ie ball boys to wear gloves).

Reactions: Hadoop

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I was just coming to post. I felt it was a possibility. Miami is also having a number of cases, and the shift to the clay court season is also near a lot of hot zones.

Pretty unprecedented times.

I wonder if there was extra pressure to cancel this due to very high average age of the attendees there. Its tons of retirees from Palm Springs and Arizona

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wonder if there was extra pressure to cancel this due to very high average age of the attendees there. Its tons of retirees from Palm Springs and Arizona
Could well have been a factor in this case, but no doubt cancellations of sporting events and other populous events will now ramp up quickly.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It sucks, and you gotta feel like this is just the beginning.

Curious how they are going to handle points dropping off from last year into next year and things like that.

Also, this isn't like cancelling NHL games. Tennis players might have sponsors, but they don't have contracts.

And I'm also reading that many players found out about this on social media.

What a mess.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It sucks, and you gotta feel like this is just the beginning.

Curious how they are going to handle points dropping off from last year into next year and things like that.

Also, this isn't like cancelling NHL games. Tennis players might have sponsors, but they don't have contracts.

What a mess.

The tennis industry does seem highly vulnerable. Players are flying into different countries constantly. There's no guaranteed income for players.

It's also really hard to get a handle on how long this will stretch out. Containment efforts are likely to be maintained for a while.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

What a mess.

To be honest, at the time the tweet came out, with tennis being heavily european, that's no surprise.

But yeah, it seems the decision was taken really quickly.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I'm not surprised. This thing is in over 100 countries and growing exponentially in too many spots in the world. I suspect we won't be seeing much if any professional tennis for the next little while.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, the tournament got cancelled. Got to think the French Open is in jeopardy as well. I think Wimbledon is fine for now as that tourney is still 4 months away.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Tour cancelled for 6 weeks. I don't know if it applies to challengers (which is run by ITF). Unlike decisions happening in NBA and NFL, the players absorb this much more directly.

I have doubts that things will improve by 6 weeks, especially in Europe. Some tough decisions still ahead.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It seems quite likely that the French Open and probably Wimbledon won't be played this year.
Very likely not. This is the absolute least of our worries right now, but that could impact the GOAT race, not so much for Nole but for Rafa. French Opens are his bet bet and he's not getting any younger.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Very likely not. This is the absolute least of our worries right now, but that could impact the GOAT race, not so much for Nole but for Rafa. French Opens are his bet bet and he's not getting any younger.

Yup, he must be hating this. Djokovic just has to bide his time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
How about a joke:

This sandwich walks into a bar and tries to order a beer. The bartender comes over and says, "you will have to leave." The disappointed sandwich asks why. The bartender replies "We don't serve food in this bar."

Reactions: QueerGirrl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad