Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Who knows when tennis tournaments will start back up again, could be done for months if not the rest of the year.

That said couldn't the powers that be organize one or more one-off head-to-head charity (or mostly charity) matches via live-broadcast or live-streamed with the following conditions?

- no fans
- players arrive via private jet with private accommodations
- the players each have one designated ball-kid/adult to retrieve the balls/towels/etc. or they do it themselves
- an umpire but no line-judges, players call the lines themselves but can always defer to hawk-eye (hawk-eye would need to be installed if the court doesn't have it)

The problem of course is a) whether someone like Federer or Nadal would accept this, and b) all the logistics including where the venue would be since every country has a pandemic now save for the most remote islands in the pacific and other oceans.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The problem of course is a) whether someone like Federer or Nadal would accept this,
can you imagine how long a match would be if Rafa has to go and retrieve his own sweat towel after every point, as he normally does?

Reactions: MsMeow

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Who knows when tennis tournaments will start back up again, could be done for months if not the rest of the year.

That said couldn't the powers that be organize one or more one-off head-to-head charity (or mostly charity) matches via live-broadcast or live-streamed with the following conditions?

- no fans
- players arrive via private jet with private accommodations
- the players each have one designated ball-kid/adult to retrieve the balls/towels/etc. or they do it themselves
- an umpire but no line-judges, players call the lines themselves but can always defer to hawk-eye (hawk-eye would need to be installed if the court doesn't have it)

The problem of course is a) whether someone like Federer or Nadal would accept this, and b) all the logistics including where the venue would be since every country has a pandemic now save for the most remote islands in the pacific and other oceans.

That would never happen. They are extremely conservative in England and everything has to be the same every year.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
can you imagine how long a match would be if Rafa has to go and retrieve his own sweat towel after every point, as he normally does?
I don't think they will have much choice. I can see such a rule being created really easily now. Makes sense anyway--why should anyone handle someone's else's sweaty towels? Rafa will have to adjust or pick up a ton of time violations.

Reactions: Hadoop

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think they will have much choice. I can see such a rule being created really easily now. Makes sense anyway--why should anyone handle someone's else's sweaty towels? Rafa will have to adjust or pick up a ton of time violations.
I always found that gross. They wipe their faces in the towels and sometimes blow their noses.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Women's Rogers Cup in Montreal was cancelled today and it's expected the men's will be as well since it's on at the same time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I assume tennis tournaments and most sporting events will require a vaccine for Covid 19 before going back to normal. Who is going to want to watch their favourite players if there is even a slight chance that it could infect you or worse? Closed circuit, no crowd tennis--I could see that happening, though, at some point in the future.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't know if it really fits in here, so mods feel free to move or delete it if it doesn't.

Any interest here in the "Virtual Madrid Open" from April 27th to 30th?

16 ATP and 16 WTA players are supposed to play in this event. Some names that are confirmed so far include Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, John Isner, Lucas Pouille, Kiki Bertens, Carla Suárez Navarro, Fiona Ferro and Angelique Kerber. They will compete in the video game "Tennis World Tour". The winners in both events (men and women) will win 150,000 Euros that will then be used to support tennis players whose careers are threatened by the pandemic. Another 50,000 will go to other charities.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know if it really fits in here, so mods feel free to move or delete it if it doesn't.

Any interest here in the "Virtual Madrid Open" from April 27th to 30th?

16 ATP and 16 WTA players are supposed to play in this event. Some names that are confirmed so far include Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, John Isner, Lucas Pouille, Kiki Bertens, Carla Suárez Navarro, Fiona Ferro and Angelique Kerber. They will compete in the video game "Tennis World Tour". The winners in both events (men and women) will win 150,000 Euros that will then be used to support tennis players whose careers are threatened by the pandemic. Another 50,000 will go to other charities.
Well, it beats Tiger King in terms of class anyway, but it means about as much to me as, say, Vasek Pospisil's recipe for lasanga.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Well, it beats Tiger King in terms of class anyway, but it means about as much to me as, say, Vasek Pospisil's recipe for lasanga.

I've seen similar things done in other sports and actually tried watching some of it in an absence of any real competitions going on, but it hasn't worked for me so far.
I may give this a shot as well, assuming it is streamed somewhere, just because I don't have anything that much better to do right now. But I don't have high expectations.

Hmm ... Lasanga, now there's an idea.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I've seen similar things done in other sports and actually tried watching some of it in an absence of any real competitions going on, but it hasn't worked for me so far.
I may give this a shot as well, assuming it is streamed somewhere, just because I don't have anything that much better to do right now. But I don't have high expectations.

Hmm ... Lasanga, now there's an idea.
ATP Tennis TV has literally hundreds of old matches to screen on its various files (Replays, Rivalries; Classics; Players, and so forth); these matches are certainly helping me eased the pain cause by the lack of tennis right now. The site doesn't cover GS events or Davis Cup, but they do cover everything else on the men's side.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Laver Cup announced cancellation for 2020. Will still play Boston in 2021.

Roland Garros still scheduled for that slot. I still think that's doubtful, but there's lots of talk of getting sports back underwayr(mainly in US, but Europe as well) , that I don't think you can rule it out.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Maybe a French Open in September without spectators? Not much fizz in that soda.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a way to make the front page of CNN.

Nole and Medvedev seem to be quoted a lot during the layoff. Daniil has been funny and insightful for the most part, basically praising other players who have influenced him or whom he admires. Nole's been fine, too...until this. When you are in demand, it must sometimes be hard to realize that every thought that runs through your head doesn't necessarily have to come out of your mouth. Cat out of the bag on this one.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like Rafa had a great debut on Instagram with guests Roger and Andy.

Same with Nole and Stan in a different chat. Stan asked a great question: how do you handle the crowd bias when playing Roger? Nole gave a thoughtful response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->