Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Very likely not. This is the absolute least of our worries right now, but that could impact the GOAT race, not so much for Nole but for Rafa. French Opens are his bet bet and he's not getting any younger.
Tbh I think Rafa still has the French on lockdown for a couple more years plus this break is better for the older guards given how much mileage their bodies have been through over the years.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tbh I think Rafa still has the French on lockdown for a couple more years plus this break is better for the older guards given how much mileage their bodies have been through over the years.
Agree on your last point, not on the first. The older Rafa gets the better both Nole's and Thiem's chances are against him at Roland Garros, and there could be others capable of an earlier round upset to boot.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not tennis news but a piece of information that should be widely circulated:

"French minister says patients should take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen or cortisone"

The Guardian UK
has an important article that everyone should read. According to French doctors, anti-inflammatories may make the virus worse once contracted. Stock up on Tylenol in other words, not aspirin.

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Tennis: Bianca/Bencic on TSN now, followed by Bianca/Serena.

Not tennis: One of my friends flew from Toronto to Vegas yesterday. 28 people on a plane that takes 280 and the flight back Wednesday is overbooked.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tennis: Bianca/Bencic on TSN now, followed by Bianca/Serena.

Not tennis: One of my friends flew from Toronto to Vegas yesterday. 28 people on a plane that takes 280 and the flight back Wednesday is overbooked.
Man, that could be such horrible timing. Major announcement is coming from the government tomorrow. Could be they shut the country down, possibly including borders.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Man, that could be such horrible timing. Major announcement is coming from the government tomorrow. Could be they shut the country down, possibly including borders.

They knew what they were getting into. Even if they change their flight and go to Buffalo and rent a car, it could be a problem crossing back in to Canada.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

That's a bold move, and if it does come to fruition (big if), could actually alter the all time GS race. Given US is behind Europe in stage of crisis, it's still on jeopardy, while things could be stable in France by then (I have my doubts, but it's possible). Unless Wimbledon or US Open can similarly defer, but hard to fit that into the calendar without running risks of weather issues in both.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

That's a bold move, and if it does come to fruition (big if), could actually alter the all time GS race. Given US is behind Europe in stage of crisis, it's still on jeopardy, while things could be stable in France by then (I have my doubts, but it's possible). Unless Wimbledon or US Open can similarly defer, but hard to fit that into the calendar without running risks of weather issues in both.

Interesting...not sure what to think about that.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Interesting...not sure what to think about that.

Vasek, in his player council role, doesn't seem to be a fan

I'm a little surprised that he's against it, but not checking with players does seem offside. Anything that potentially salvages a big money tournament is good for players.

But, I'm still skeptical this will happen.

Reactions: Tuggy

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Makes sense as the French Open was suppose to start on May 24th, and there is no way the pandemic will be over in France, Europe or the world before then.

The Sept date is also a good landing spot as it very likely the pandemic will be fully under control by then, and announcing it without consultation means they can reserve that time before the other tournaments move/postpone as well.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think a lot of players will choose one or the other. I also expect players who are stronger on clay than hard will tank matches to focus on the French.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
ATP and WTA Tour officially cancelled up to June 7th.

Not a surprise, but interesting to see how quickly things move. Indian Wells wash the first big North American sporting event to cancel, and was pretty shocking at the time. People still felt Miami was going happen.

We'd only be at the QF at IW by now if it was happening. It's amazing how quickly the world has changed in a littlest over a week.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
How is everyone holding up? I'm still working a bit but nothing like before. Staying in tonight to watch the first Raptors playoff game from last year and that's the extent of my ambition!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
How is everyone holding up? I'm still working a bit but nothing like before. Staying in tonight to watch the first Raptors playoff game from last year and that's the extent of my ambition!

Working from home and it's been really busy trying to switch all of my processes to online. It's federal government, so we have involvement in new program I'm trying to operationalize, while also trying to keep kids engaged out of school, and periodically yelling at my elderly high risk parents to not go out for no reason.

I'd welcome some down time to catch up on Netflix. I did managed to finally getting around to seeing Uncut Gems, which was good.

It is disorienting to not have any distraction from this crisis though. No sports, no movies, and no social activities.

But, I'm one of the fortunate ones. Both my wife and I have relative job security. We have a large enough house to have two people working from home. The kids are young enough that missing a chunk of school isn't going to create long term issues.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm retired so day-to-day is pretty similar to what it was--minus freedom to roam the city. I have an endless supply of old tennis matches to watch, and lots of music, movies and books. Partner and elder daughter are home and they will likely get antsy before I do. Let's face it, we are all under house arrest.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm retired so day-to-day is pretty similar to what it was--minus freedom to roam the city. I have an endless supply of old tennis matches to watch, and lots of music, movies and books. Partner and elder daughter are home and they will likely get antsy before I do. Let's face it, we are all under house arrest.

It's funny because I'm a dog walker and a birder and I have no desire to be outside even though spring migration is here and it's what we all dream of in winter. Dog walks are my outside time and I'm basically just walking my 2 groups and coming home. I've got enough groceries for a week or more and at least Sportsnet and TSN are showing some things I want to see.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
It's funny because I'm a dog walker and a birder and I have no desire to be outside even though spring migration is here and it's what we all dream of in winter. Dog walks are my outside time and I'm basically just walking my 2 groups and coming home. I've got enough groceries for a week or more and at least Sportsnet and TSN are showing some things I want to see.

Oh cool I'm a birder too. Picked up the hobby from my uncle a few years ago. Not as deep into it as my tennis fandom but I do have a 'life list' of birds (and mammals) I've seen in the wild.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Oh cool I'm a birder too. Picked up the hobby from my uncle a few years ago. Not as deep into it as my tennis fandom but I do have a 'life list' of birds (and mammals) I've seen in the wild.

I'm so bad with lists. I use ebird but tend to forget. I have a ton to catch up on from my trip to BC...last November!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
According to The Guardian, Wimbledon will be canceled on Wednesday and there is mounting "fury" over the French Open's unilateral decision to postpone the tournament until just after the US Open.

Wimbledon 2020 'to be cancelled on Wednesday' as French Open fury grows | Wimbledon | The Guardian

I think the fury of French Open is going to be moot when it gets cancelled in September.

Tennis is a tough sport to get back to any sense of normalcy. Hundreds of players flying in from every corner of the world. As long as the virus is active anywhere, whatever city is hosting becomes at risk very easily.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it feels like the road back to something normal seems a lot longer to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see things cancelled for the year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think the fury of French Open is going to be moot when it gets cancelled in September.

Tennis is a tough sport to get back to any sense of normalcy. Hundreds of players flying in from every corner of the world. As long as the virus is active anywhere, whatever city is hosting becomes at risk very easily.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it feels like the road back to something normal seems a lot longer to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see things cancelled for the year.
That's pretty much my read on the situation, too.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That's pretty much my read on the situation, too.

The one thing I could see happen in a few months if things start easing up is a televised exhibition match. Most of the top players live near each other in Europe. A Federer/Nadal/Djokovic mini tournament just for TV could be feasible, and TV networks would be so desperate for any televised sport, that it could be a big moneymaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad