Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pospisil beats Opelka in 2 hard fought sets.

He's really on a hot streak. Shapovalov can win this for Canada, which would makes the doubles match fully unnecessary for Canada, but based on format, they may make Canada play it, as it would impact the US potentially for round robin points.

They're really leaning on their two guys heavily. Shapovalov plays Fritz next, which is the first singles match they've had where the Canadian is the higher ranked player.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Boy the live scoring 'app' on the Davis Cup finals page is really bad. It's currently 3-all in the first it seems.

It's ridiculous. Especially the regular ATP app works so well. If you are unable to create a functioning app, then partner with the app that is already on every tennis fans phone.

I suspect there's politics preventing that, but that's part of the whole problem.

Shapovalov won the tiebreaker. I snuck away from my desk to watch it.

One set away from winning the pool.

Reactions: Loosie

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Canada wins!

On to the QF.

There's still pool play tomorrow, so Pospisil and Shapovalov can get some rest. We'll find out if this format makes Canada play a match when they're have zero to play for. Yesterday's double still had some stakes as it could have been part of a tie breaker for qualifying, but there's zero upside for Canada to risk anything at this point.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
So, they thankfully let Canada skip their doubles match, but they record it as a 6-0, 6-0 loss. Makes no impact on Canada, but, in the battle for the two wildcard spots, the US has a big advantage if they win against Italy. I believe set records and game records would be the tiebreakers.

In something like the ATP Finals, round robin wins at least count for money and points, so there's motivation there. This is really a poorly thought out tournament structure.

Reactions: Tuggy

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, they thankfully let Canada skip their doubles match, but they record it as a 6-0, 6-0 loss. Makes no impact on Canada, but, in the battle for the two wildcard spots, the US has a big advantage if they win against Italy. I believe set records and game records would be the tiebreakers.

In something like the ATP Finals, round robin wins at least count for money and points, so there's motivation there. This is really a poorly thought out tournament structure.

Some players from other nations (Djokovic, Murray, Struff) are not happy with the decision by Canada to forfeit the doubles match.
It is definitely unfair to those nations that might have to compete with the US for the wildcard spots, but from Canada's perspective it makes perfect sense and they "earned" this by winning all their other matches. They definitely have to make some changes to this tournament to avoid stuff like this in the future.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Australia beat Belgium, so they'll face Canada tomorrow.

Canada had the day off today, so that's an advantage.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Some players from other nations (Djokovic, Murray, Struff) are not happy with the decision by Canada to forfeit the doubles match.
It is definitely unfair to those nations that might have to compete with the US for the wildcard spots, but from Canada's perspective it makes perfect sense and they "earned" this by winning all their other matches. They definitely have to make some changes to this tournament to avoid stuff like this in the future.

With zero on the line for Canada, people's would complain regardless. If I was Canada, and was forced to play, I would have tried having the captain Frank Dancevic play with Schnur or something, but a farcical match like that is more harmful to the integrity of the tournament.

Even just the nature of the small rosters seems inadequate for this tournament. Some one getting injured puts a lot of strain to put viable matchups without overpaying players.

Everything seems so poorly designed about this.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Matchups for today

No Kyrgios. Still no Felix, but that could be by choice rather than health concerns with the play of the others. Both are winnable matches for the Canadians.

Millman hasn't played yet this week, and De Minaur has had relatively short matches, so Australia is coming in pretty fresh.

Reactions: Tuggy

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Matchups for today

No Kyrgios. Still no Felix, but that could be by choice rather than health concerns with the play of the others. Both are winnable matches for the Canadians.

Millman hasn't played yet this week, and De Minaur has had relatively short matches, so Australia is coming in pretty fresh.

No Kyrgios is very interesting.

The complaining about Canada not playing the doubles match makes sense, but it was in Canada's best interest to not play, and that's all that really matters. If they want to blame someone, blame the people that decided on this format for the tournament (not commenting at you, just in general).

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pospisil wins first set in a tiebreaker.

Tough fought set,that Pospisil never gave up on. Tiebreaker was all over the place, with a lot of rallies ending in some razor thin line margins.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Denis holds off 4 break points at 4-4 in the deciding set. Currently at 5-5.

Denis still goes for broke a lot, but when he digs himself a hole, he's much better at focusing and getting out.

And he's now down 0-40 on serve again.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Denis lost.

Doubles match in the 2nd set. Canada won the first set and just broke to get back on serve at 2-3.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I still can't get over that Canada's into the QF, and have only used Shapovalov and Pospisil so far.

They get a days rest, which theyll need. I think this run matches Canada's best ever showing in the Davis Cup, and I think they've got a shot at keeping it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad