Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

No easy matches today. But, both Felix and Shapovalov have the ability to deliver big matches. It will be the first pack stands. The team comraderie is high, so hopefully that can help them over the hump.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think it's a good decision to put Felix in. Vasek was getting his shoulder worked on yesterday and he's played a ton. The only worry is that Felix will be rusty. He definitely has more weapons than a tired Vasek.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think it's a good decision to put Felix in. Vasek was getting his shoulder worked on yesterday and he's played a ton. The only worry is that Felix will be rusty. He definitely has more weapons than a tired Vasek.

You also don't want Vasek to sacrifice his health. Yes, there's a long break coming, but Vasek still needs to be healthy to start 2020 to get his ranking up. He's always been dedicated to the team. If he's not fully confident on his shoulder, it's the correct call.

The depth for Canada is a nice luxury, and a sign of things to come hopefully. In the future, it could be Canada that has two top 10 players and experienced doubles options for other teams to overcome.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No wonder this is such a reasonable tennis site as these things go. It looks like almost all of us regulars are Canadian. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Hadoop

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Who've have thought at the beginning of this year that a Canadian teenager would win the US Open while two other teenagers would be representing Canada in the Davis Cup Finals!?
Next thing you are going to tell me is that the Raptors could be NBA champions.

Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix just has to make minor adjustments. Almost all of his unforced errors are long, not in the net which is great.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Felix loses in straights. Call me crazy but I have a good feeling about Denis.

Tough loss, but good on him to step in there. Hard to walk into a match with that much pressure after time off.

You may be a bit more optimistic than me on the next match, but, it feels within the realm of the achievable.

It's probably going to be Nadals toughest match this week. But, man, Nadal is going to be motivated. Playing in front of a home crowd in the first year of a new format. He's battled all week to get his country here, and his teammate delivered a huge win for them coming back during an emotional time. Any fatigue factor is countered by Shapovalov being equally as drained.

You're basically playing Nadal on the toughest difficulty settings.

Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Oh boy. 5-2 Rafa and he's having no trouble at all on his service games.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
While it didn't end the way Canadians may have wanted, this is such a pleasant gift on top of an already tremendous season tennis season.

Everything with Bianca is the stuff people will remember, but the year started with Felix still outside the top 100 looking for his breakout. Denis got the first men's title outside of Raonic. Pospisils comeback from his injury has him looking as good as when he was top 30.

Theres been success from some of the journeyman type, and maybe a guy like Schnur may string some success to get back into top 100.

On the women's, Leylah Fernandez may not he far off from a breakout either.

Not bad results from a winter sports country.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Well the end of the season is finally upon us, which means it's time to look back at my predictions from the beginning of the year:

Hadoop said:
It's always a shock to me now short the off-season is in tennis. Anyways 12 predictions for 2019 (the two big story-lines for me will be 1) how the GOAT generation adds to their legacy and 2) how much better the next gen will become and whether or not one or more of them will make a GS breakthrough)

- Djokovic will win the AO (Yup)
- Rafa and Nole will meet in 2 of the 4 GS finals (They took all 4 slams, but only met once)
- Not sure how he'll do, but Father time will not be kind to Father Fed this year (he's still ranked 3rd in the world though)
- Zverev will reach the semis at both the French and Wimbly, but will still be searching for his first slam (so off)
- At least two of Khachanov, Coric, and Tsitsipas will be in the top 10 by the end of the year (Tsitsipas is ranked 6th, but the other two took a few lumps)
- Shapovalov will reach his first QF at the USO and will end the year just outside the top 10 (he finished 15th)
- FAA will have a big season and will end the year inside the top 25 (yes)
- Raonic will still be made of glass (YES)
- Serena finally wins her 24th GS (almost; but glad she didn't win at the USO)
- Svitolina will become world #1 at some point during the year (no)
- Sabalenka will prove to be the 'next big thing' and despite inconsistent results will finish the year in the top 5 (NO)
- Venus will retire at the USO (nope)

Hit and miss on individual predictions (which I think is definitely a good thing as it speaks to the non-linear paths players' careers take). But I'm pleased the overall narrative was not too far off.

Of course the big story north of the border was Bianca's win and the rise of Felix and Denis. You never know, but here's hoping that this is just the auspicious beginning of a golden generation for Canadian tennis.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad