Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I still can't get over that Canada's into the QF, and have only used Shapovalov and Pospisil so far.

They get a days rest, which theyll need. I think this run matches Canada's best ever showing in the Davis Cup, and I think they've got a shot at keeping it going.
If FAA can come back healthy for the semis, that would be a massive boost for the team as well. I don't think they play tomorrow so there's a chance we'll see Felix in the final four. All this and Milos Raonic isn't even participating!

I hope we play Russia and not Serbia though; with the Serbs, you have additional pressure to win every non-Djokovic match or else you're pretty much out

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just heard the great news about Canada! If Milos had been healthy he would have been playing instead of Vasek and I don't think Canada would be in the semis.

Reactions: kihei and discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Looks like it's Russia in the SF as Canada's opponent.

Russia has taken a similar strategy as Canada and have leaned exclusively on a pairing of Rublev and Kachanov this tournament.

With Canada having a rest day, we probably have a small advantage in terms of rest.

Not having someone like Djokovic or Nadal as an opponent is probably best case scenario. Both singles matches are winnable right now (although definitely not gimmes).

On doubles, I think it's probably pretty close as well.

Reactions: Tuggy

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pospisil loses the first match. Rublev just to strong in the rallies.

Canada is still in this. Shapo can be competitive with Khachanov, and the douvkes remains a coin flip. But, first tie that Canada has lost the first match, so facing a big uphill battle.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Is everyone sleeping in this morning?

Denis wins in three sets.

Doubles match to decide it. Plan seems to be to go with Denis and Vasek again. They're likely near their limits, but as this is thr end of the season, barring injury, it doesn't make senses to rotate someone else in.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is the first match I've seen all week. I am so happy to see this! Vasek was looking a bit tired but they gutted it out even though they were down a mini break right off the bat. Rublev's play picked up after the first set but it wasn't enough.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't know. Unless either Vasek and Denis express concerns on their stamina, go with the guys that brought you here.

They have the benefit of finishing early compared to winner of the next SF.
Yeah, we'll see how they feel tomorrow. That would be a ton of pressure on Felix.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
England-Spain heading to the doubles for the deciding rubber.

With it already past 10pm local, regardless of opponent, that plays to Canadian advantage, as rest is an issue. Nadal and Lopez doing double duty for Spain, so they'll be tired if they get through, but betting against the fitness of Nadal seems like a risky bet.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
England-Spain heading to the doubles for the deciding rubber.

With it already past 10pm local, regardless of opponent, that plays to Canadian advantage, as rest is an issue. Nadal and Lopez doing double duty for Spain, so they'll be tired if they get through, but betting against the fitness of Nadal seems like a risky bet.
Nadal’s been on fire this week, but his teammates are ailing a bit though. This is probably the weakest Spain DC team Rafa has been apart of. Those Spanish teams from the mid 2000’s-early 2010s were LOADED!

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Don’t think I’ve ever been so torn over a match before. Nadal has been one of my all time favourite players for as long as I can remember and the way he’s carried Spain this week, at age 33.5, after an amazing, but surely exhausting year is beyond incredible. I’d love to see him complete this LeBron-like carry job to lead both himself and Spain to yet another DC title.

However, I am Canadian and winning a Davis Cup title would’ve never been on my radar when I first started watching tennis. Canada simply wasn’t a talented tennis nation back in those days...boy have things changed for the better since.

Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Don’t think I’ve ever been so torn over a match before. Nadal has been one of my all time favourite players for as long as I can remember and the way he’s carried Spain this week, at age 33.5, after an amazing, but surely exhausting year is beyond incredible. I’d love to see him complete this LeBron-like carry job to lead both himself and Spain to yet another DC title.

However, I am Canadian and winning a Davis Cup title would’ve never been on my radar when I first started watching tennis. Canada simply wasn’t a talented tennis nation back in those days...boy have things changed for the better since.
Roger is my fave but not against Canadians.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Match begins 10:45 eastern.

Apparently, Felix is warming up. Some speculation that Pospisil may be struggling a bit with his shoulder.

First match is pretty close to a must win, however, I'd argue that Denis may be the toughest opponent for Nadal this week.

Canada is the clear underdogs here, but I think they're used to that by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad