Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix lost a tough one yesterday against Rublev. FAA went toe-to-toe with him but just couldn't keep up the level in the 3rd. Both guys were hitting the ball hard.

Serve still remains a weakness for Felix. Some free points on his serve would go a long way.

Either way, he's close IMO to being a regular on the main tour.

Qualifying for a 250 in Gstaad next week, then back to NA for the hard court season. Nothing announced yet, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get a WC for Toronto.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I saw "my android" come of age at the Canadian Open in 1973. That was really special. Up and coming Borg, just barely 17-years-old, had worked himself into the top 40, oozing massive potential, but had yet to make a really big splash against a top player. In the round of 16, he ran up against the ultra-dangerous 38-year-old Ken Rosewall, still #6 in the world, who won the Australian Open the previous year and was a Wimbledon finalist the next year. It was the only match that these two legends played against each other. Borg lost the first set 2-6 as Rosewall schooled him, but then quick learner Bjorn won the next two sets 6-1 and 7-5. The quality of tennis in the third set was brilliant on both sides, with most games going to deuce and numerous break points being saved by both players. That was the most memorable match I ever witnessed live, and also quite likely the best played single set.

Favourite matches that I saw on TV would include several contenders: ...

… Borg over McEnroe at the US Open in 1980 (the match that included the epic 18-16 fourth set tie breaker which Borg actually lost, only to win 8-6 in the fifth having surrendered only 3 points on serve in the set)
Ilie Nastase over Arthur Ashe in the US Open in 1972 (Ilie the Artist)
Arthur Ashe over Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon in 1975 (Greatest strategical win that I have ever seen, bar none)

But my favourite tennis match would be: …
Thanks for posting. Connors (I'm from IL also) and Evert were my first 2 favorite players, but they were quickly surpassed in my heart. I loved McEnroe's (I don't agree with all his behavior) and Martina's serve and volley style. I may have just remembered an old post where you said you like Borg, but I had a feeling you would like the Nordic Iceman better than my Mercurial American. ;) Have a great day!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie had to retire today in her SF after a first set tiebreak. Groin injury. She was playing well.

Felix actually got another WC for next week. Hopefully he can make a run.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I saw "my android" come of age at the Canadian Open in 1973. That was really special. Up and coming Borg, just barely 17-years-old, had worked himself into the top 40, oozing massive potential, but had yet to make a really big splash against a top player. In the round of 16, he ran up against the ultra-dangerous 38-year-old Ken Rosewall, still #6 in the world, who won the Australian Open the previous year and was a Wimbledon finalist the next year. It was the only match that these two legends played against each other. Borg lost the first set 2-6 as Rosewall schooled him, but then quick learner Bjorn won the next two sets 6-1 and 7-5. The quality of tennis in the third set was brilliant on both sides, with most games going to deuce and numerous break points being saved by both players. That was the most memorable match I ever witnessed live, and also quite likely the best played single set.

Favourite matches that I saw on TV would include several contenders:

Rafa over Roger at Wimbledon in 2008 (tweedle dee)
Roger over Rafa at Wimbledon in 2007 (tweedle dum)
Roger over Rafa at the Australian Open in 2016 (best fifth set comeback that I have ever seen)
Borg over McEnroe at the US Open in 1980 (the match that included the epic 18-16 fourth set tie breaker which Borg actually lost, only to win 8-6 in the fifth having surrendered only 3 points on serve in the set)
Ilie Nastase over Arthur Ashe in the US Open in 1972 (Ilie the Artist)
Arthur Ashe over Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon in 1975 (Greatest strategical win that I have ever seen, bar none)

But my favourite tennis match would be:

Marat Safin over Roger in five superb sets in the semifinals of the Australian Open in 2005 (just an incredibly high level of play and a wonderfully suspenseful match between two gifted players)
Wimbledon, he lost to John at the U.S open in 80.

Cool you got to see Borg live against another great like Rosewall, Borg was one of my sports heroes growing up, have his autograph but never got to see him play live being so young and living where I was.You're a lucky guy.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wimbledon, he lost to John at the U.S open in 80.

Cool you got to see Borg live against another great like Rosewall, Borg was one of my sports heroes growing up, have his autograph but never got to see him play live being so young and living where I was.You're a lucky guy.
Thanks for the correction. Dumb of me. I'll fix it.

Yeah, I am an insanely lucky guy.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Thanks for the correction. Dumb of me. I'll fix it.

Yeah, I am an insanely lucky guy.

Such a shame he retired so young still in his prime. He could never win that U.S Open and it seemed like he started to believe he never would be able to with having to run into Macs game there but I think his reasoning was very faulty.

Mcenroe stumbled there in the coming years, and he very well may have ended up meeting Connors in a finals instead, a guy who he was beating regularly the last few years and had soundly beaten at the open in 81.No reason at all he could not have gotten that u.s open title.He barely lost to mac in 80 in a five setter.

He still had at least a couple of more french open titles in his future too, He might have even been able to squeeze out another Wimbledon.

He just left way too early, it still bothers me to this day.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Borg was also my favourite when I first got into tennis. Never liked Connors because his temper didn't seem genuine like McEnroe's did, I always felt he was putting on a show.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Borg was also my favourite when I first got into tennis. Never liked Connors because his temper didn't seem genuine like McEnroe's did, I always felt he was putting on a show.
Connors working the crowd and no one could do it like him, he was the best at it.Some of it was contrived no question. Like they said on that charlie rose interview he had with Mcenroe, they should write a book..............Connors on "crowd control"

But there were times he was genuinely pissed off for sure, he was a volcanic guy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Connors working the crowd and no one could do it like him, he was the best at it.Some of it was contrived no question. Like they said on that charlie rose interview he had with Mcenroe, they should write a book..............Connors on "crowd control"

But there were times he was genuinely pissed off for sure, he was a volcanic guy.
I hated Connors but he is certainly among the most intense athletes that I have ever seen play, maybe in a tie with Rafa, Pete Rose and Lawrence Taylor.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I hated Connors but he is certainly among the most intense athletes that I have ever seen play, maybe in a tie with Rafa, Pete Rose and Lawrence Taylor.
Jimbo absolutely took no prisoners, he left it all out there.

You never left watching a connors match saying............"god, did he ever dog it out there today"

His run at the 91 U.S Open at 39 was classic Connors all around.

Jack Lambert gets a mention from me along with those guys you mentioned here.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm not a good judge of court speed on TV or the internet at the best of time, but Gstaad, which once had the reputation of being a fast clay court, looks slower to me this year, especially when it dries out after a hosing. Anyone else with an opinion?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Chung over Fritz 4 and 6 in an entertaining straight setter between two guys who should both make the top ten someday, though Taylor is going to need to put on about 15 pounds before he is likely to get there. Hyeon showed no sign of any lingering effects from the ankle injury that plagued him in the spring.

Reactions: Tuggy

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
https://www.tsn.ca/serena-repeat-drug-testing-is-discrimination-1.1147343

Serena's upset because her success means she gets tested more than the others. Same system that caught Sharapova, I guess.

Calling it "discrimination" - and I certainly hope she isn't implying anything race-related - seems a tad myopic though. If she's clean, she has nothing to fear. :dunno:

Also, five tests this year, as of June. Basically once per month.

Man, what a hardship that must be for her. :laugh:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix lost his R2 match today at Gstaad.

He was cruising along at 6-3 4-4 in the second when things fell apart. Still has a lot to work on with the mental side of his game.

That's it for the Europe clay season. Nothing announced yet, but I would expect a WC for Toronto in a couple weeks.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, Felix is in good company as both Coric and Fognini were eliminated in Gstaad as well. Fog got zapped by Zopp and Borna got jeered by Djere

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Murray won a match last night in Washington. Definitely looked up and down, but a step in his comeback.

Shapovalov and Pospisil are also there.

Vasek will take on the young gun de Minaur today.

Still no words on WC's for next week in Toronto. But they are promoting Felix, so safe to say he'll likely get one.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm going to four sessions now over four day. I'd love to see Felix if the fates allow.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Whoa, Wawrinka has to qualify in Toronto, Felix is probably going to play doubles with Denis! And I think this is Nestor's last tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad