Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fog and his lucky hair-do (corn rows, more accurately corn squares, with little coloured doodads) defeat Del Potro in straight sets in Los Cabos. Looking his most blase, Fabio went down love-3 in the first set and then, inexplicably, went 6-1, 6-2 the rest of the way. Juan Martin got a lot of practice on his backhand but to no avail.

Fabio's Fabulous Hairdo Proving A Lucky Charm In Los Cabos | ATP World Tour | Tennis

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Easy 2 and 4 win for Zverev over an overmatched De Minaur still likely recovering from yesterday's marathon. Sascha proves convincingly that despite Grand Slam woes, he is still the biggest fish in the Next Gen pond.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Vekic takes the first set from Kuznetsova, and it is even in the second set. Svetlana is the absolute queen of three setters, so I kind of like her chances in this set, 4-3 on serve....and she does take it, as usual, the hard way. She saves four match points, two of them in the breaker, which she eventually takes 9-7. She's as dependable as a Swiss watch. Anybody's match now, though.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great for Svetlana. She never gives up and is rewarded with a well-deserved championship. She has been wonderful to watch play over the years.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The Nestor roast sounded pretty funny. Hope it's available online.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Stan gets Andy's WC and is rewarded with a 1st round matchup against Krygios. Djokovic/Chung should be fun as well.

As for the Canadians the first round matchups are as follows (copied from a Twitter feed):

(26) Denis Shapovalov v (43) Jérémy Chardy
(30) Milos Raonic v (11) David Goffin
(92) Vasek Pospisil v (21) Borna Coric
(122) Peter Polansky v (50) Ebden
(134) Felix Auger-Aliassime v (19) Lucas Pouille

Wonder how many of these matches I'll get to see on Monday.

That seems like a pretty harsh draw for the Canadians I thought they may have rigged it to give them a few gimmes to get them further along in the draw.

I mean it wouldn't be a huge shock if everyone of them lost their first match. Obviously based on seeds Denis would be an upset but I think he is so inconsistent (especially lately) it certainly wouldn't be a massive shock.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That seems like a pretty harsh draw for the Canadians I thought they may have rigged it to give them a few gimmes to get them further along in the draw.

I mean it wouldn't be a huge shock if everyone of them lost their first match. Obviously based on seeds Denis would be an upset but I think he is so inconsistent (especially lately) it certainly wouldn't be a massive shock.
I completely agree with your estimation of Denis' recent play, but he should beat Chardy fairly easily as hard courts are Jeremy's least favourite surface. I also agree Canadian players are significant underdogs in the rest of the matches.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky won in straight sets. He played well but Ebden was pretty poor.

Denis/Felix playing doubles soon.

Raonic and Pospisil play singles tonight.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I was hoping to go tonight but I'm kind of glad now that the rain drops are falling and there may be more. Milos up a break early in the first.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
So Jimmy Arias speculated that Andy Murray may be done playing because of the way he was crying after his match the other day.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Raonic looking really solid tonight.

So Jimmy Arias speculated that Andy Murray may be done playing because of the way he was crying after his match the other day.

Maybe, but I saw it more as a very emotional moment considering all the circumstances. Coming back from injuries, very long match, 3am (mentally exhausted) and obviously took it out of him physically.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Utterly dominant win for Milos over Goffin, who just got completely overpowered every which way you can. Milos lost a total of only seven service points in the match, and, get this, zero first serve points in the 6-3, 6-4 contest.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Utterly dominant win for Milos over Goffin, who just got completely overpowered every which way you can. Milos lost a total of only seven service points in the match, and, get this, zero first serve points in the 6-3, 6-4 contest.

Goffin and Sock have really crashed this year.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Raonic looking really solid tonight.

Maybe, but I saw it more as a very emotional moment considering all the circumstances. Coming back from injuries, very long match, 3am (mentally exhausted) and obviously took it out of him physically.

I agree with you. I was surprised he made this comment on TV, I know it's his opinion but I think he should have kept it to himself.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A steady Coric has minimal problems against an error-prone Pospisil, 6-4, 6-3.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Just got back from the day session which went past 8 pm due to the thundershowers this afternoon. Sat in the grandstand and saw two matches: Ferrer vs Klahn and FAA/Shapo vs Djokovic/Anderson. Quick thoughts are as follows:

- Sad to see what I think may be the final stretch of a very good career for Ferrer; had he been born in a different era there's a decent chance he'd have won a French Open. It was obvious watching close to court-side that he's lost a step and with no way to get easy points his days on the ATP are numbered

- Never heard of Klahn but apparently he's a former NCAA champion; that would explain the surprisingly good game management and composure for a guy outside the top 100.

- Djokovic really deserves more adoration than he gets; this is an all-time-great who's charitable with fans (signed virtually everything after the match), not to mention he has more variety in his game than people realize. His volleying is well above average too (which wasn't the case earlier in his career) and both his singles (obviously) and doubles court senses are fantastic.

- Anderson is NOT comfortable at doubles. At. All. Whatever.

- FAA is still very raw. Good court sense and the talent is there but his serve is not at Shapovalov's level this year or even last year. I don't think he's a sure thing like some people; he can be really great, better than Shapo even but it's too early to tell.

- Shapo was not good at volleying; worse than FAA I would say. He played a relatively poor match but I'm sure it's not easy trying to replicate his 'birth-of-a-star' moment last year here in his hometown. He also needs more consistency on his ground strokes to get to the next level, but that will come with time.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
First set to Felix!

Served for it at 5-3 but got broken. Felix broke the next game to take it 6-4. He looks good so far.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix is looking pretty good, eh? I just got home early in the 2nd set.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Awesome performance from Felix!

Cool and composed to serve it out. Pushed Pouille around with ease most of the match.

Future GOAT :D

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Genie is down 0-5 in the first.

Edit: She lost the first set but won a couple of games after her coach talked to her. Now she's playing way better but has called for medical because it looks like she has a blister on the bottom of her foot.

And she lost in straights.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Just picked up tickets for Thursday day session. I was considering tomorrow night but the weather forecast scared mean off. If there is rain tomorrow it should push off a lot of matches to the morning.

I was prepared to go solo, as I find it hard to find buddies that are willing to take a day off from work to go (and pay premium prices), but my dad is in town so I'm going with him.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just picked up tickets for Thursday day session. I was considering tomorrow night but the weather forecast scared mean off. If there is rain tomorrow it should push off a lot of matches to the morning.

I was prepared to go solo, as I find it hard to find buddies that are willing to take a day off from work to go (and pay premium prices), but my dad is in town so I'm going with him.
Lucky, I had hoped to go tonight but it was a no go.

Great job by Denis to win in straights!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nice win for Abanda. Good results are few and far between for Canadian women's tennis lately.

Tough match against Stephens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->