Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Whoa, Wawrinka has to qualify in Toronto

They already gave a WC to Murray, so Stan was out of luck. Apparently he requested one, but was denied. Stan looked bad against Young last night, so I'd be surprised if he even qualified.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
No surprise but the MD draw WC's are going to be Murray, Auger-Aliassime, Pospisil and Polansky.

QWC's go to Wawrinka, Schnur, Peliwo and one yet to be named.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
No surprise but the MD draw WC's are going to be Murray, Auger-Aliassime, Pospisil and Polansky.

QWC's go to Wawrinka, Schnur, Peliwo and one yet to be named.

Wow gees. I have tickets to the Monday session, but now even though I already have plans Sat and Sun I'm tempted by the propect of watching Wawrinka in qualies.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Zverev vs. Zverev tonight in Washington.
Their first match against each other on the tour. They have met twice during qulifiers (Mischa won both of those).

When asked about playing his brother, Sascha was joking that he doesn't know him that well, because they've never played against each other.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Damn, against Kei I think Denis just hit the first 1000 mph backhand for a winner.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
While Denis really fell apart in the first set breaker (7-1), Kei very much earned that set with patience and hard work.

2nd set: Easy set for Kei as Denis loses concentration and mopes about. Lots to work on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The qualifying starts tomorrow, and the draw isn't even out yet. Is that standard?

Yeah, the draw will be tonight.

Speaking of qualifying...

Could be a few things...Murray will get SE into the MD, so doesn't need the WC or maybe Murray with withdraw. Could mean Stan is getting a Murray's WC or not playing at all in Toronto. We'll know soon.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Stan gets Andy's WC and is rewarded with a 1st round matchup against Krygios. Djokovic/Chung should be fun as well.

As for the Canadians the first round matchups are as follows (copied from a Twitter feed):

(26) Denis Shapovalov v (43) Jérémy Chardy
(30) Milos Raonic v (11) David Goffin
(92) Vasek Pospisil v (21) Borna Coric
(122) Peter Polansky v (50) Ebden
(134) Felix Auger-Aliassime v (19) Lucas Pouille

Wonder how many of these matches I'll get to see on Monday.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tough match-up for Felix. Could be one and done.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lots of Canadians in qualifying at both events, including a bunch of teenagers. One on the women's side is 15 year old Fernandez. She's our top prospect at the junior level. She's had some success at the futures level and is ranked 730. We'll see what she can do.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not counting top ten players, who has a more closely matched pair of ground strokes than Rublev? (in other words, backhand and forehand are equally good)

Who has a greater discrepancy between ground strokes than Klizan?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A (albeit small) sign that the Next Gen is on the rise: the four ATP semifinalists in Washington this weekend are on average 20 years old.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
33-year-old, #128 ranked Kuznetsova, looking like she is in the best shape of her life, is having quite a time of it in Washington where she has now made the finals (from ESPN):

1stKristie AhnW6-2, 6-1
2ndAna BogdanW6-2, 6-1
Quarterfinals(8) Yulia PutintsevaW6-2, 6-2
SemifinalsAndrea PetkovicW6-2, 6-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Not absolutely sure, but I think we might draw Shapovalov in the evening session.

Indeed. As quoted from the Rogers Cup tournament website the headliners are as follows:

"Rafael Nadal will play Wednesday night, Novak Djokovic Tuesday day, as well as Canadian stars Denis Shapovalov on Tuesday night and Milos Raonic Monday night."

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Did anyone go for qualies today? I heard that Peliwo won.

Also in Montreal, if Rebecca Marino wins her qualy match tomorrow I think she plays Bouchard first round.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Rublev/De Minaur semi in Washington was thrilling from start to finish, with De Minaur outlasting Rublev, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4. De Minaur saved four match points in the breaker down 6-2, then the Rublev saved three match points in the back and forth third set before running out of steam having played a quarterfinal match against Kudla earlier in the afternoon.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Did anyone go for qualies today? I heard that Peliwo won.

I was there in the afternoon. Didn't watch any matches but did see Nadal, Cilic and Djokovic practice (and finally got Djokovic's signature on my tennis bag lol). Given a lot of these older guys are paring their schedules in order to extend their careers who knows how many more times they'll be back in Toronto.

Reactions: MsMeow and kihei
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad