Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 305909

One other thing on that cartoon. If she were white NOBODY would consider that racist at all.

I don't think she would have acted the way she did if it weren't the US Open. Unlike the rest of the world which considers Wimbledon the most prestigious tennis-tournament Americans no doubt consider winning the US Open as the most cherished title.

Had she won she would probably had announced retirement from international tennis. Now she has to save that announcement for another time.

Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think she would have acted the way she did if it weren't the US Open. Unlike the rest of the world which considers Wimbledon the most prestigious tennis-tournament Americans no doubt consider winning the US Open as the most cherished title.

Had she won she would probably had announced retirement from international tennis. Now she has to save that announcement for another time.

I'd love to see her try that at Wimbledon, Melbourne or the French Open. The crowd would have been throwing things at her.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Roger beat Medvedev in 3. I only caught the last part of the last set. Wasn't sure he could pull it off but Medvedev cracked.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yeah, I think Denis needs a vacation. First full year on tour and I think it's showing menatally and physically.

As for Felix, he's playing a CH in Tashkent this week. He didn't sign up for the main draw, so he had to go through qualifying.

Well he did that and just had a big win over Istomin in the QF to reach the SF! He's up to 107 in the live race. Getting very close to direct entry for the Aussie Open.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix into the final! Up to #105 in the live race for the moment.

His 5th CH final (3-1 record). First on hard courts.

He's scheduled to play qualifying at the 250 in Antwerp (which starts Sunday), so we'll see what he does. That's a big workload over 10 days.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Scintillating second set between Roger and Kei with Fed prevailing in a result that was at times in doubt. A couple of interesting GOAT Gen/Next Gen match-ups on tap in the semis as well with Federer/Coric and Djokovic/Zverev.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Djokovic into the Shanghai final and will officially move into #2 in the world come Monday. Inching closer to YE #1. He just destroyed Zverev today.

He'll play the winner of Federer/Coric but I don't see him losing this title.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
And Felix wins his 4th CH title!

Is this his first hard court title?

I was wondering why he was in qualifying. Was he pushing for Shanghai qualifiers and fell short? Either way, I'm hoping he can break 100 before years end. Does he have any points to defend? I recall him winning some challengers last fall, but his point totals match his race totals so that would imply he has nothing to defend, unless I'm misinterpreting.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Is this his first hard court title?

I was wondering why he was in qualifying. Was he pushing for Shanghai qualifiers and fell short? Either way, I'm hoping he can break 100 before years end. Does he have any points to defend? I recall him winning some challengers last fall, but his point totals match his race totals so that would imply he has nothing to defend, unless I'm misinterpreting.

Yup, his first on hard court.

Yeah, seems like he doesn't have anything left to defend but I see 9 points left based on his 2017 activity.

He's still on the list for Antwerp qualifying next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew. The draw should be out soon, so we'll have our answer.

Not sure what his plans are for the rest of the season.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yup, his first on hard court.

Yeah, seems like he doesn't have anything left to defend but I see 9 points left based on his 2017 activity.

He's still on the list for Antwerp qualifying next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew. The draw should be out soon, so we'll have our answer.

Not sure what his plans are for the rest of the season.

Draws is out and he's in the qualifying draw, with his first match against a wild card. Not sure if he'll have the stamina to make a push or not.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draws is out and he's in the qualifying draw, with his first match against a wild card. Not sure if he'll have the stamina to make a push or not.

Yup. At least he's up last. Despite the 8 matches at the CH, he did win fairly easily.

We'll see tomorrow. So close to top 100!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Expected result today. Even if Nadal plays again this year (still up in the air), Djokovic will get YE #1.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Expected result today. Even if Nadal plays again this year (still up in the air), Djokovic will get YE #1.
Expected result and ordinary looking set scores (3 and 4), but Coric really made him earn it. Now, that's pretty close to the Nole I remember. Nole could have a giant year next year if he stays healthy.

Reactions: MsMeow and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix wins today in Antwerp qualifying but it was a tough, long match. We'll see if he has anything left tomorrow.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie got through qualifying in Luxembourg. She's very close to getting back into the top 100.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix was forced to retire from his final round qualifying match today in the second set. It was like his 10th match in 10 days, so I'm hoping it was just fatigue and not something serious.

Update: It was nothing serious, just a blister.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Put Anastasia Potapova down as a another young player to keep an eye on. In Moscow, she lost to Kontaveit 7-5 in the third after losing a 4-2 lead in the set. Among the most competitive and nerve-wracking matches that I have seen this year.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
A couple of all Canadian matchups today...Raonic/Pospisil in Antwerp and Shapovalov/Polansky in Stockholm.

Genie also up in R2 in Luxembourg today in tough against Suarez Navarro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad