Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Laver Cup has been fun. Amazing how involved these guys get in an even contrived team competition. But invested they are. Anderson, playing clutch tennis throughout, just upset Nole in a third set tie breaker (third sets here are expanded tiebreakers) to make the Cup a contest again, 7-3

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kontaveit comes from a set down to defeat Sloane Stephens in the first round at Wuhan. I really like Anett's game, so this kind of win against a quality opponent is good to see.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix ended up getting into Chengdu as a LL and took advantage by winning his first round match and getting another tour victory!

Tough matchup though in R2 against Chung.

Vasek is also there and won his first round match in straight sets.

Denis is in Shenzhen and is leading his first round match in the 3rd set but it's suspended at the moment.

Denis finished off his match in the 3rd.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Vasek lost in a 3rd set tiebreak.

Both Felix and Denis are just underway in their 2nd round matches.

Really bad loss for Denis against Nishioka. Should not have lost that match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix in God mode defeats Hyeon Chung 6-4 in the third set. Yes, folks, this is the future #1 tennis player in the world, barring catastrophe. I only saw the third set, but Felix's groundies were deep, powerful and precise, and he was serving with real authority. Adding preternatural quickness in the backcourt to the mix along with ease of execution, and you get one jaw-dropping tennis player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix in God mode defeats Hyeon Chung 6-4 in the fifth set. Yes, folks, this is the future #1 tennis player in the world, barring catastrophe.

He's big, strong, athletic, big serve, defends well and attacks. He has all the tools. Health is the only thing that can hold him back.

He's got Tomic next in the QF, so a real chance at an ATP SF.

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not the performance today that Felix was looking for.

But still a successful week to take advantage of the LL and move closer to the top 100.

Challenger event next for him.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sabalenka beats Kontaveit in straight sets in the Wuhan Open final. Can't complain; that makes sense. Aryna is rising up the charts.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Denis serves it out against Stan! Held his nerve this time :laugh:

Raonic also won today, so both into the QF. They could potentially meet in the SF.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Last night in a match between comparables, de Minaur came back from one set and eventually four match points down to defeat Gilles Simon. Alex continues to look like a potential tier-two elite.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Shapovalov into the SF!

Raonic lost though to Medvedev. So that's Denis has next. Should be a good one.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I stayed up and watched Denis' match. The quality from both players was fantastic. Somehow Denis is really toughing it out after digging himself in a hole.

I watched a couple of Milos' games but it was pretty late and pretty boring. I hope Denis' match is on at 11 again.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Awful first set from Denis as he commits 21 unforced errors in a 6-3 loss. With Medvedev serving very well and Denis in a funk, the next set does not look promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad