All Purpose Stastny Thread

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Quotes from Stastny and Roy.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25288955/paul-stastny-pleased-remain-avs-after-nhl-trade-deadline

I hate hearing talks about continuing contract talks after the season when it comes to UFA's. Uhh.
All of that sounded pretty encouraging, to be honest. Stastny has said he wants to be here, wants to win, may take a discount. Roy and Sakic said they want him here, understand the fans like him and want him here.

This deal is going to get done and our core is pretty set for the next few years.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
"To me, this is like playing on a new team than it was the last couple of years. So to me, this is kind of a new start and I'm excited where it was going."

Joe Sacco was never the problem here.

He was the solution. Thanks for Landeskog and Mackinnon Succo!

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Duchene should get paid the most until Mackinnon hits his prime. RoR should get the same as Duchene. Stastny should get $5.x. Anything else is overpayment. $5 million is a bit low so maybe $5.5 million. Nothing over $6 million. At this point, though, Stastny has the Avs over a barrel.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duchene should get paid the most until Mackinnon hits his prime. RoR should get the same as Duchene. Stastny should get $5.x. Anything else is overpayment. $5 million is a bit low so maybe $5.5 million. Nothing over $6 million. At this point, though, Stastny has the Avs over a barrel.

I think he will get 6 milly atleast with that NTC that all players love.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/three-periods--stastny-stays-with-avs--flip-flopping-thoughts-on-st-louis-swap--surreal-trade-for-legwand-214432661-nhl.html
“I’m excited obviously,” Stastny said. “I think we have something special here. We have a good group of guys that feel they can do something impactful – not just now but down the road.”

Patrick Roy, the coach and vice-president of hockey operations, said “it would have been tempting” to turn Stastny into assets. The Avs are trying to build their organization. Their affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, is second-to-last in the American Hockey League.

But even though they didn’t sign Stastny to an extension, they held onto him for two reasons: One, Stastny made it clear Colorado was his first choice. “I have faith that Paul will stay with us,” Roy said. Two, the Avs don’t want to mess up the good thing they have going, especially if they want the fans to come back. “I think we showed them we care about this season,” Roy said.
“Obviously I want to stay,” Stastny said. “We have a good group of guys here. The grass isn’t always greener. It’s about winning. It’s about a winning culture, playing a fun style. To me, this is like playing on a new team.”
Also some good quotes from Duchene on their shot quality over quantity.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
6m for all of ROR, Stastny, and Duchene seems fair, and allows a lot of flexibility. Of the 3 to refuse that, ROR seems the most likely with him and his agent's past.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I'd think Duchene was spinning a little but Babcock pretty much said the same thing.

I really will not lose sleep if Stastny or O'Reilly get more than 6 million. It's a new year, cap going up, Stastny will be all UFA years, O'Reilly might be more. Duchene will get another big contract, it will be massive. If it takes 6+ on our core that's what it takes. Some people wouldn't blink at 6+ to overpay for a decent UFA.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Any news on Staz
Is he daughter 2 day?

seriously.. I did not type that!!!
What is so funny is that I did not catch it, and it was day2 day and somehow got corrected to daughter....
weird.. I was reading the quotes saying to myself; " What the F is Daughter to day" ??? WTF? IT was me!!!
Holy mother of typos.. that guy needs help! lol
so.. Staz is so good that; " He even made Wolski look like a winner"

Go ahead make my typo, ur .. day
try to top that one.. its the new "Staz is so good" add on!

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think it's OK to be officially worried about Stastny and St Louis though. It's gonna be a few headaches untill he is re-signed (hopefully)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it's OK to be officially worried about Stastny and St Louis though. It's gonna be a few headaches untill he is re-signed (hopefully)

St. Louis may not have the cap space in the end. They will re-sign Miller, Sobotka, and Schwartz. Berglund and Ott are more than likely going to get re-signed. Miller is going to cost around 7.25m+ per to re-sign (this one could very easily be much more, he is rumored to want King Henrik money). Schwartz is ~3.5+. Berglund ~3.75+. Ott ~4.5m+. Sobotka ~2.5m.

Right now they have 46.3m committed to 16 players (9F, 7D). Add in the signings above and they are at 67.8m with 21 players signed (missing an extra forward/D and a backup goalie). The backup goalie will take ~1.25m, putting them at ~69m (~2m in space). They could do without the extra forward, but say they have one for .750 (~1m in space). They then have nearly 70m tied up. So... say they decide to let Ott go to get Stastny, well Stastny cannot get paid over $5.5m (or 6.5m staying down one forward) and still comply with the cap.

This does not take into account their potential bonus penalties, with could be 0-~1m depending on their structure, nor does it take into account the potential drop in the cap (which has been re-stated to be ~1m at the most).

St Louis has a limit on how much they can pay, and the Avs can easily match it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I thought the cap was likely 68 million? Above estimations has them at 69 million with 2 players left to sign.

There were rumors around the deadline that it was going to be 68. At the GM meetings they showed the projections staying at the same 71.1m that they were told early in the season with a caveat that it may go down upto a million with the drop in the Canadian dollar. Seems pretty safe to say the cap will likely be in the 69-71 range. St. Louis is in a really tight situation with the cap if they want to retain the strength of their team (depth and now goaltending).

They could also run with Allen as a backup which would save ~400k over signing another backup. They have some options, but they won't be able to pay Stastny anymore than the Avs can.

Honestly the team that is the biggest competition for Stastny is probably Anaheim. They have a more forgiving cap situation than St Louis, have a better chance to win than the Avs, and the need for a #2C.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I am a huge Staz fan, but I do not see him pulling in a huge winfall in free agency. PErhaps what he is making now extended, but certainly not 7 mill/ year....

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
All the blues fans were being so assured that Stastny would sign that they were putting him in line-ups in a topic unrelated to Stastny. The feeling that they could just take our player for certain disgusts me.

I know St Louis was his childhood home, but it's not like Avs fans would just assume that Ben Bishop would sign to any deal at a moments notice to come back to Denver.

It also builds this fear in me that everything we have told ourselves is wrong and Stastny will happily sign with our division rivals for the league minimum.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the whole "home town" thing is overblown anyway. Hasn't he been in Denver since he was 18 years old? If anything, this is his "home town". That doesn't guarantee anything, I know. But the thought that he desperately wants to play in St Louis is a bit much.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think the whole "home town" thing is overblown anyway. Hasn't he been in Denver since he was 18 years old? If anything, this is his "home town". That doesn't guarantee anything, I know. But the thought that he desperately wants to play in St Louis is a bit much.

Everyone reasonable realizes that, plus his future wife is from Denver and she owns a business there.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Don't know if anyone saw this, but from @Hope_Smoke, who does some transcription of live stuff from various TV and radio appearances:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 12h
Kypreos "Colorado is prepared to pay Stastny $5 million this summer. If he wants more, he's going to go somewhere else"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad