OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread II (NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I only turned on the game in the 2nd half and it was 1-1, Croatia was holding on, but every call was going against Croatia and i was'nt surprised when Brazil were awarded the penalty, then to rub it in Croatia equalised but the ref disallowed it. The 3rd goal was week and a foul could have been called against the Brazilians.

This game was ruined by the ref, a draw would have been a good result.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
So that's where Andi Petrillo went. Anchoring CBC's WC coverage. Neato, good for her.

Italy loses Buffon for tonight. That's bad. Mkay.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Holy crud, Portugal is in death throes right now.

Ze Deutschland up 3 nill.

Also, this happened...

Ejection for the headbutt. Portugal playing down a man. All over but the crying.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Holy crud, Portugal is in death throes right now.

Ze Deutschland up 3 nill.

Also, this happened...

Ejection for the headbutt. Portugal playing down a man. All over but the crying.

Unbelievably stupid move by Pepe.

Was a weak headbutt, but a headbutt nonetheless I guess.

Also fairly surprising, there hasn't been a draw yet so far in the tournament.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
RIP, Tony Gwynn.

One of Baseball's truly legendary gentlemen, most selfless players, and probably the best pure hitter MLB has seen in the last 40 years.

You will be missed.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Gutsy 2-1 victory for the US over Ghana today despite getting owned on possession for much of the match. Ghana with no finish, no discipline.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Mueller with the hat trick today, awesome!
I actually liked the fact that on the first penalty kick he drew - he played through the tackle rather than diving like players for some other countries might do.

littleD

Mueller with the hat trick today, awesome!
I actually liked the fact that on the first penalty kick he drew - he played through the tackle rather than diving like players for some other countries might do.

Too bad he had a ridiculous dive 25 minutes later after. Pepe gave him a headbutt for that one. :D

It's too bad FIFA has zero balls. In that situation, Muller should be the one with the much longer suspension.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
WOW.

This is Huge!

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

littleD

There will be a new World Cup champion. Spain, seven goals against and two losses, have been eliminated for the World Cup.

It's the second World Cup in a row where the defending champion did not get out of the group stage. Italy crashed out in 2010, with a "famous" tie against New Zealand, after winning the 2006 title.

Australia was also eliminated today. They put up a good fight against the Netherlands, but fell 3-2 in the end. Tim Cahill had an all-world goal for the Aussies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Too bad he had a ridiculous dive 25 minutes later after. Pepe gave him a headbutt for that one. :D

It's too bad FIFA has zero balls. In that situation, Muller should be the one with the much longer suspension.

Haha... I don't think that was that bad a dive though? I'd have to rewatch replays with some of the other camera angles - but it did look like he got a hand in the face (eye?).

As far as Spain goes... do their club teams allow a lot of imports? Surprised with the Champions league result that they had such a poor showing.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Golf time
PGA tournament Travelers Championship

Only 2 Canadians entered DeLaet and Fritsch

Fritsch -5 65 currently tied for 9th
DeLaet even 70 currently tied for 76th

LPGA

US Womens Open

5 Canadians entered

*HENDERSON, Brooke M +1 tied for 14th, at one stage she was -3 and leading the tournament

Web Com

Air Capital Classic

7 Canadians entered top Canadian
Albin Choi -5 tied for 5th

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Massive melt down from Fritsch in the 2nd round today after a 5 under yesterday 65 tied for 9th, he ended up with a 6 over 76 and is tied for 94th and will miss the cut.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Costa Rica... wtf man.
With the group their in you'd expect them to be eliminated already. Great showing by them so far, I hadn't even heard of any of their players besides Ruiz before this tournament.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Costa Rica... wtf man.
With the group their in you'd expect them to be eliminated already. Great showing by them so far, I hadn't even heard of any of their players besides Ruiz before this tournament.

And I think Uruguay will give Italy a run for its money for Game 3...
Can you imagine if Italy and England both eliminated, to go with Spain, Portugal (likely)... European nations just getting knocked off the board left right and center.

littleD

I've heard Costa Rica's win today described as a shock. Anyone who says Costa Rica beating Italy is a "shock" result is being pretty dismissive of a very good team.

Italy played awful today, it was hardly a shock result. What did the Italians have, 13 offsides or something. They just seemed completely uninterested.

They are also fading in the heat. Reports after the England match were that several Italian players were so overheated, they suffered from hallucinations.

With the way Chiellini was fumbling around defensively today, the way Paletta and Barzagli fumbled around versus England, I hate to think what a fit Luis Suarez could do to this Italian defence in the Uruguay game.

I can see nothing but both European teams heading home in this group.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Italy is nothing without Pirlo. Pirlo is their Zidane but not as good, thus Italy won't go anywhere anytime soon. Italy needs to start getting younger with stronger approach to the game like the French have been doing. Balotelli is a good start.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Hope it's just broken skin and nothing serious with Mueller at the end of the game...

Also don't think that yellow card to Muntari at the end of the game was deserved, sucks he'll miss against Portugal now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad