Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v9.0: IceHogs/Fuel/NCAA/Jr./Int'l - Too Many Cooks in Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Iacopelli even project to make it to the NHL? Know he had a decent year but he's also almost 23.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
We need to restock Rockford and develop. I am happy with our draft picks being signed no matter where they project at the moment.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Agree. Pretty excited for this next wave. Wish Sikura signed but other than that they look to be reloading.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
My money is on Iacopelli becoming this generation's Steve Maltais.

And that's no disrespect to Steve in the least. Great guy who carved out a great niche for himself with the Wolves. Iacopelli will score in the AHL but I do not see him ever being able to do much at the NHL level and would be surprised if he sees anything past a cup of coffee, quite honestly.

I would like a waiver for him to be able to partake in NHL Skills Competition shooting contests, however.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

And that's no disrespect to Steve in the least. Great guy who carved out a great niche for himself with the Wolves. Iacopelli will score in the AHL but I do not see him ever being able to do much at the NHL level and would be surprised if he sees anything past a cup of coffee, quite honestly.

I would like a waiver for him to be able to partake in NHL Skills Competition shooting contests, however.

lol his shot is literally insane

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
lol his shot is literally insane

It's incredible. In another era he might have had a shot at sticking. In this era where you have to be able to move? I have heavy doubts, especially because he doesn't have the intelligence to make up for a lack of mobility.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Loved watching Maltais , Brown , Leblanc , Young , etc as a Wolves fan in 90's/early 00's

Was a hell of a lot more enjoyable then watching Hawks most years

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The ck of the media coverage talking of his signing not mentioning his direct drafting from the Bolig trade pick is disappointing to me.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Matt Highmore with game tying goal late in the 3rd period then primary assist on GWG so Saint John complete comeback to win the game in regulation 4-3 over Rimouski..and sweeps series 4-0.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
John Dahlstrom has 3g2a in 4GP and is +5 for Medicine Hat in their playoffs so far...they swept Brandon.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I have posted before on the pipeline thin areas...Goalies ...need more ....gonna lose either Darling or CC (my bet is they trade CC ..but only if Darling gives a sweet hometown Discount to sace cap $$$..gotta save at minimum $2 million from Crow pay.Besides probably is our only way to move up in draft ...more on those ideas in another post but hope plays outstanding I playoffs..Sell High and win win).

NEXT in pipeline depth need are Right Shot d-men..

Next need are more C's who can both win draws and score to make 3C spot or 4C spot really strong ..They may need to trade Anisimov down the line again as we will have recurring cap issues given the aging of our plentiful high paid geezers..Hossa is at 5 million+ per on cap for 4 more years after this season ..7 more years of Seabrook and the $6.8 ...yikes!

Even if Darling takes a hometown Discount of $4 per for 4 years. .when that comes due if he has been a top goalie over the period (top 5-10) he would then demand the big payola..so relief from CC $6 per is only gonna be a few short years.Andcso it goes..always with the raises and guts have to go to make room for such.

ANYWAY ..so when Anisimov is moved 2-3 years out fir cheaper we gotta have pipeline C's challenging for spots on any vacant line C (but Mr. 58 points has his 1 C spot locked even if he only plays 30-35 games of the grind hard till playoffs.

Thus mire C's is an area Stan needs to fill up with such challenger prospects.

NOW Matt Highmore plays RW though he takes a lot of draws and key draws too for Saint John amd has has seasons between 54% and 58% ..so we coukd use him either at C or at RW bit taking draws for a C who is not so proficient..Nathan Noel is also aroundc52-53% on draws ..but whether he is a challenger for a C position at tge show level tempi s to be found out.

IF we are going to draft a C with our first rounder ..I am now very intrigued by Kevin Hancock...one of the Fab Five
draft eligibles from the Owen Sound Attack ..Owen Sound was not one of the teams thought by experts to be a contender for the OHL Championship this season...but they have had a spectacular success of hardly losing in the 2nd half and the FaB 5 consisting of 17 and 18 year Olds first time eligibles Suzuki Gadjovich Phillips Hancock and Petrus Palnu plus the fantastic year of free agent over ager Santino Centorame have led this team to now be a strong contender to possibly upset the pre -season favourites (Erie ,Sault Saint-Marie ,London or Windsor) ..Everyone knows how deep Erie is in talent ..but they are loaded with older 19,20 and 21 year Olds ..One Sound has a top line of Gadjovich Hancock and Suzuki of 18 and turning 18 year Olds ...

WE WILL NOT draft Suzuki the highest rated of the Fab 5 unless we make a deal to another team's first rounder and move up to get him ..Hancock is tge center for the line and Gadjovich is the LW.. Petrus Palmu plays a wing spot 9n tge 2nd line ..he is a smurf but has come in big time too scoring goals in big bunches in the 2nd half ..

IF we draftxaxd-man I woukd consider Markus Phillips who is only 6'0 in height but a solid thick 207 lbs ..He is expected to be a first rounder and rated next after Nick Suzuki. .But Hector will be gone off the board before we draft late in the first .So if we do go for a D-man it probably is Swedish D-man Erik Brannstrom ..the thing is . Both Phillips and Brannstrom are LDs and we have lots of thise in the pipeline ..

Thus it coukd be a tough decision between best D-man prospect on the board even if not a RD or stockpile more C's...the difference between selecting 29-31 'and 32-40 is probably difficult with a whole bunch of good possibilities ..but whether you Did not rank Gadjovich Hancock or Palmu as first rounders ..the fact is they probably are a lit better prospects than several "consensus " first rounders whose play fid not elevate in the 2nd half ..All of the
Owen Sound guys elevated ..got even better as tgey matured through the season.

Anyway ..why Hancock ..well..not sure about faceoffs ..I will need to watch closely on that because I cannot find stats for faceoffs of OHL guys. .

But very good scoring and goodbplus/minus..an the Owen Sound guys pkay a 200 foot game ..good on the forecheck and back'check tremendous puck pursuit ..close on puck carrier's can't take away and quick transition..They are dangerous on the pk ..in addition to good kills they get a lot of shorty goals ..well above normal..Hancock and Suzuki are very dangerous killing because they are threats to take then puck rush the other way and finish .
In my opinion..no yr team drafting any of the FaB 5 will be picking a dud ..but while I was very familiar with Suzuki abd his talent and drive..and with then potential of Phillips von D ..both legit first rounders. I was less familiar with how good Hancock and Gadjovich
could be for late first rounder consideration ..Palmu too turned out really well thus season though his smurf size might deter a pick onto the early 2nd .. (Sort of like DeBrincat size issue caused hom to go 39th in hisdraft) ..

Kevin Hancock is not a smurf..5'11 and 183 starting the season
.so he will probably hit the pros at 195-200 lbs..

But aside from his scoring. .excellent non pk and a danger to score shorty goals.. All in all we xoukd do a lot worse than draft an excellent prospect with all those attributes.

Kevin Hancock: 30g 55a +30 ...
He is also having a strong playoffs so far ...4GP 3g 3a +6 ...You coukd say playing with Gadjovich and Suzuki on their top line explains his stat line..bit like chicken and egg,he has helped his wingers a lot to score too..Just saying he was not on my Radar at the beginning or even midfde of the season. But really watching Owen Sound closely in the spring now..I have noticed and Iam impressed.

I also saw that OHL coaches voted
Hancock 3rd in the Best Defensive forward category..I have no faceoff stats to back-up.my impression,but
it but from what I have seen ,he looks very good in the dot too.

.He was I believe only ranked about mid-rounds in the draft..but clearly all the Owen Sound guys are going to be risers ...big risers or ought to be in the first al rankings gs.If this is a "walk draft"..well there bis plenty to.like at the crop from Owen Sound ..they ALL should be ranked much much higher ..Even other guys who are rankrd mid or later rounds ...I started noticing RD Sean Durzi ...could be a steal I'm the mid to late rounds if he has not risk to a 3rd or 4th rounder by now.

While all these kids have some talent ..it is tge coach and culture instilled in Owen Sound that should get credit. .the drive and hardbound the puck pursuit in addition to will and want..I really am impressed ..not just talent but when you add hustle and wanting that puck and getting it back. .that combo is a winning formula.The good stats follow.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Rockford have a try-out to 24 year old William Pelketier from Norwich College Div III...Smurf
...5'7 173 but scored about 2 pts a game pace this season.. The poor man's Johnny Gudreau?

Trying for an alk-smurf alk star line in the Rick next season?DeBrincat Pelletier and Louis ...on a line together would be I believe the shortest line ever ..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's incredible. In another era he might have had a shot at sticking. In this era where you have to be able to move? I have heavy doubts, especially because he doesn't have the intelligence to make up for a lack of mobility.

Patrick Maroon figured it out...somehow that guy has been able to keep up with McDavid on his wing, so there is always hope for Iacopelli!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I also don't see a draft thread so figured I drop this here- wouldn't mind seeing the Hawks go with a bit more size on their first round pick and go with Jason Robertson from Kingston OHL.

I like that kid a lot and he brings a ton of grit and skill - 6'2 200lbs LW with over 40 goals this year as a 17 year old..

With all the little guys we have, wouldn't mind reaching maybe a few picks and land this kid as he seems to be ranked anywhere from 25-40 from what I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad