Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v16.0

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Demidov is strong on his skates. It won't be a problem at the NHL level.

But I also don't think it's exceptional. And Kyle is looking for exceptional level skating.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The scouting report was written by Bill Placzek for the lines.com website and has been publishing prospect evals for over 30 years. Take him or leave him but he's been around the block more than most of the better known NHL prospect evaluators.

Does this timestamp look like a player who can not cutback or use his outside edge?

I wouldn't call his skating elite either. He's not an elite skater. But he's a really good skater and dynamic/explosive with it. But like pull away from guys? No.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Does this timestamp look like a player who can not cutback or use his outside edge?

I wouldn't call his skating elite either. He's not an elite skater. But he's a really good skater and dynamic/explosive with it. But like pull away from guys? No.

I've seen all the Demidov highlight videos and he looks great - no doubt. I wouldn't draft him because of the "Russia fear" he wont come over but if he were a N.A. player I would put him squarely in the top-5 mix - but I'm not a good evaluator of the technical things like "outside edge" skating so I rely on others who I trust know more than me about such things. Whether this evaluation is right or wrong I don't know but I thought it worthy of note.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Feels really easy to discredit when you pull up game tape and he's on his outside edges and using cutbacks. I guess because he does a lot of heel to heel stuff its easy for someone to say he doesn't use outsides? Idk.

Either way, Demidov is playing in MHL because he wants to come over. Even his agent said so. He will be in NA in 2025. 1 year wait. Its worth it in my opinion.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The concerns mentioned in that scouting report are concerns I came away with watching his highlights. He's over reliant on mohawks, which works when you're more talented and stronger than all of your competition. But that's not going to work in the NHL. It's a very situational tool, and he uses it literally every time he has the puck. It's extremely easy to knock someone off the puck when they're doing that. I don't know why he referred to it as "outside edges" but I know what he's saying.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Davidson is going to have to sign a few college free agents for the blueline soon . Still bitter about the Hillbillies signing Jake Livingstone .

• Wow
Reactions: Pez68

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Davidson is going to have to sign a few college free agents for the blueline soon . Still bitter about the Hillbillies signing Jake Livingstone .
Why do you say that? They were pretty oversaturated before last year's Draft so that's why they didn't draft any (until 7th round). They have a lot of picks for '24 and '25 so they'll likely add to the D list in the draft.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The concerns mentioned in that scouting report are concerns I came away with watching his highlights. He's over reliant on mohawks, which works when you're more talented and stronger than all of your competition. But that's not going to work in the NHL. It's a very situational tool, and he uses it literally every time he has the puck. It's extremely easy to knock someone off the puck when they're doing that. I don't know why he referred to it as "outside edges" but I know what he's saying.
To me, the scouting report is acting like he can’t turn with his outside edges. He can. His edges are elite. Whether the way he chooses them will translate or will he have to change? To be determined, but he definitely can use his edges correctly.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
To me, the scouting report is acting like he can’t turn with his outside edges. He can. His edges are elite. Whether the way he chooses them will translate or will he have to change? To be determined, but he definitely can use his edges correctly.

It's worded very poorly, and I don't think the guy knows enough of the technical terminology for skating mechanics to convey his point.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Why do you say that? They were pretty oversaturated before last year's Draft so that's why they didn't draft any (until 7th round). They have a lot of picks for '24 and '25 so they'll likely add to the D list in the draft.
Yes it possible we draft enough in the next couple drafts , still we will have empty spots on Ice Hogs blueline due to these guys graduating or possibly trading in stead of losing on waivers .

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Can't think of a single free agent college blueliner that is better than what we already have in the system
No I'm not complaining about the guys we have but Ice Hogs will soon need young guys to replace existing guys and If we draft a guy this year its 2 years until he plays pro . Decision time on Phillips soon .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No I'm not complaining about the guys we have but Ice Hogs will soon need young guys to replace existing guys and If we draft a guy this year its 2 years until he plays pro . Decision time on Phillips soon .
Rockford can sign established AHLers to fill depth

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They can use AHL non-prospects, and possibly add Taige Harding, Connor Kelley, Sam Rinzel at some point.

Reactions: Idionym

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Zayne Parekh did not play for Saginaw in the 4-0 loss to the Soo tonight ...was in thepre-game lineup but was scratched just prior to the game.. perhaps nursing some injury ..I doubt they scratched him for other than medical reasons...but you never know...

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Good decision.. top line with Eiserman perhaps? He could sign and get in games once his season ends next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad