Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
So you're back to saying they'r stupid players? We get it, you've made your disdain obvious. No one within the organization is above criticism, and this board is often accused of having a negative outlook, but your posts point to an agenda. That's unfortunate. Nothing destroys productive conversation faster than arguing in bad faith.

Agree to disagree. The main topic between these games is how to fix the shorties. My opinion is the power play is what it is. It can’t be fixed but that’s ok because in the end it’s more of a positive than a negative. It was the only thing keeping us in contention the first two months.

I can criticize certain aspects of a player’s game but still enjoy other aspects of their game. Both Letang and Malkin will never get the accolades their talent deserves because they’re just so inconsistent. I have
already stated why I think that is.

An agenda was people trashing the coach the last two months or overrating a prospect.

I’m just giving my opinion on the power play. Phil Bourque agrees. That’s good enough for me.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I honestly don't even agree with that. I think Riikola is just a clearly better hockey player, at least for what our team needs.

Yeah but you can dress a guy who can protect our Stars without losing too much. I might play Riikola when it counts over Oleksiak but this is the regular season and against the west.

I wouldn’t mind trading Oleksiak at the deadline for a solid vet number 6. I think Riikola is little overrated here and a work in progress.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
42 goals, 76 points last year. Even at his age, there is no way he is worse than Brassard.

And we thought there'd be no way that Brassard would be as bad. Then we put an attacking 2C in a two-way 3C role and found out different.

I'm not so fond of the idea of doing this gamble again.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
And we thought there'd be no way that Brassard would be as bad. Then we put an attacking 2C in a two-way 3C role and found out different.

I'm not so fond of the idea of doing this gamble again.

I agree I think. But if Staal can win face offs and puck battles then maybe a lateral move would be worth it.

I would hope there’s something better than Staal out there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah but you can dress a guy who can protect our Stars without losing too much. I might play Riikola when it counts over Oleksiak but this is the regular season and against the west.

I wouldn’t mind trading Oleksiak at the deadline for a solid vet number 6. I think Riikola is little overrated here and a work in progress.
eh I just don't really buy in to the idea of a guy protecting our stars. And I certainly don't see him doing much of it. Sure, he'll fight guys to avenge our stars, but that's not the same thing as protecting them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree I think. But if Staal can win face offs and puck battles then maybe a lateral move would be worth it.

I would hope there’s something better than Staal out there.

Cheaper too probably. Someone will offer a good price for Staal.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Let’s be honest even Sid is a train wreck defensively on the PP.

He doesn't play high in the zone all that much tho atm and when he does how often does he cough it up in that area of the ice vs the other 3?
Like i said, they like to play with the puck high. The main culprits of turning it over are extremely evident.
They should simply have a touch more structure and play with the puck down low more. Keep the PK guessing vs gambling with the top of the ice and planned pressure there from the opponent.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Because he has Brassard written all over him.

Why give up assets for a player that likely can at most put up a 40 pt pace and not provide the defensive edge we want from a 3C?

I doubt he'd be as bad.

But I don't want to pay much asset ot salary to find out. If there were a tweet that it happened I'd be interested to see it play out.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Other than actual fighting, I'd even say Riikola is more physical than Oleksiak. Oleksiak could do with a bit more of a mean/nasty streak, to be honest. More Chara, less Tyler Myers.

Oleksiak does use his strength to push guys out the way around the net. He’s so freaking strong. He just doesn’t always react quickly or even averagely (think that’s a new word :laugh:). He really hasn’t been terrible in the last 2 games but Riikola is better and not being terrible shouldn’t be the aim here.

Seems like it’s a bit a direction for Sully to play him from above since Riikola plays more than him and Oleksiak is playing below his average the last 5 games particularly since coming back from concussion. Around 14:30 in the last 3. Usually if a D man gets those minutes his scratching is imment. Seems weird.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Other than actual fighting, I'd even say Riikola is more physical than Oleksiak. Oleksiak could do with a bit more of a mean/nasty streak, to be honest. More Chara, less Tyler Myers.

This. I think Oleksiak is better at pinning people to the nets, but Riikola hits harder and clears the net at least just as well.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Because he has Brassard written all over him.

Why give up assets for a player that likely can at most put up a 40 pt pace and not provide the defensive edge we want from a 3C?
Granlund makes Staal look good like Ray Whitney used to.

I'm hoping for Frolik. He'll do some things that Hags left behind. Always wanted him on Malkins wing.

The Jets were after Brassard until the Pens stepped in. I wonder if they're still interested.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
The Jets were after Brassard until the Pens stepped in. I wonder if they're still interested.

It was mentioned part of the reason VGK helped the Pens by taking on $2mil of Brassards salary from OTT was to keep him out of the Western Conference.

It'd be a real jerk move for JR to send Brass to WPG, the team he was kept from going to in the first place.

Reactions: Burn

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It was mentioned part of the reason VGK helped the Pens by taking on $2mil of Brassards salary from OTT was to keep him out of the Western Conference.

It'd be a real jerk move for JR to send Brass to WPG, the team he was kept from going to in the first place.
Think it was more about the "future considerations" thing as part of the Fleury transaction. Just one GM honoring his word to another GM.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Yeah. I just think you can rule out any WPG trade and seriously debate ruling out a western trade for Brassard.

JR is a cutthroat businessman. But I don't think he's that bold.

But what team on the east wants him? Despite skill and cheap cap hit, he's almost impossible to move.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah. I just think you can rule out any WPG trade and seriously debate ruling out a western trade for Brassard.

JR is a cutthroat businessman. But I don't think he's that bold.

But what team on the east wants him? Despite skill and cheap cap hit, he's almost impossible to move.

I don't think Winnipeg would have scouted as extensively as they have if there was no chance of Brassard going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad