Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Here were the actual lines at practice...didn’t see this before but yeah, my guess was right...as expected, big teams in So Cal so Olek playing with Maatta again...a disaster in waiting as it usually is

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As expected, the Penguins are going to be running with Oleksiak and Riikola situationally. They're going to be the 7A and 7B once Schultz is healthy, and which one goes in depends on who they're playing and who they're replacing. I don't know why anyone is surprised or mad with that, it makes perfect sense that they'd do that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As expected, the Penguins are going to be running with Oleksiak and Riikola situationally. They're going to be the 7A and 7B once Schultz is healthy, and which one goes in depends on who they're playing and who they're replacing. I don't know why anyone is surprised or mad with that, it makes perfect sense that they'd do that.

Because Olek is a worse D man and Olli has played better with Riikola lately... he has size but doesn’t use it well, he’s actually not more physical than Riikola

Reactions: domaug and wheelz87

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Pearson - Malkin - Simon sounds cool.
Yeah, I like that one.

The 3rd line seems rough. I'm not sure what to think there but all 3 of those guys have a tendency to struggle defensively. I think it depends on if Good Sheahan or Bad Sheahan shows up.

I don't like the 4th at all though. Grant playing on his backhand, with Wilson as the other wing, seems like a bad idea on the road. I hope they don't get hemmed in too much.

Also, can't really afford to sit the 4th much on back to backs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I like that one.

The 3rd line seems rough. I'm not sure what to think there but all 3 of those guys have a tendency to struggle defensively. I think it depends on if Good Sheahan or Bad Sheahan shows up.

I don't like the 4th at all though. Grant playing on his backhand, with Wilson as the other wing, seems like a bad idea on the road. I hope they don't get hemmed in too much.

Yeah agree...it’s going to be tough sledding against ANA and LA in any event... hopefully they brought their tight, simple road game and Murray/CDS can continue playing well...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
aq788868888888888888888888888666666666666666qw29
Is the trend "recalling players who are playing well" or "recalling old veterans over young guys"? Why did McKegg start last year over Blueger? Because McKegg had a fantastic training camp, saying anything else is pure revisionist history. Why did Rowney play for the Penguins as long as he did? Because he had 2 really strong years with WBS and basically forced the Penguins to trade Fehr. When the team starts playing scrubs like Glass and Adams over talented young guys, then I'll be concerned. But the Penguins have neither any Glass and Adams types of players or talented young guys in positions of open spots. If guys perform like Glass and Adams under Sullivan, they don't stay on the team.

People just cherrypick examples where it is true but ignore situations where it's not, to blow up a nothing problem into something. I really feel like this website has a serious problem with confirmation bias. They'll make some asinine conclusion based on an overreaction, and ignore all things that prove it false and only focus on the stuff that proves it to be true. The whole idea that the team has somehow turned away from youth is a textbook example of this. ZAR, Simon, Riikola and Pettersson? Those guys don't matter, this team doesn't like playing young guys because Sullivan doesn't like Sprong or the team isn't calling up Blueger. I can't wait to see in 2 years when people are going to argue that playing DeSmith over Jarry this year is an example for how the Penguins were favoring veterans over young guys.

People on this site constantly attribute decisions they don't like as a symptom of a bigger problem, it happens literally all of the time. Even you did it in your post. A crazy thought: maybe Wilson got called up because he's the most logical replacement for ZAR on the roster and they're rewarding a journeyman veteran who has played well this year. Why can't it be that simple, why does there always have to be some nefarious situation behind every decision that people here don't like? Remember when people were complaining about ZAR and/or Simon playing above Sprong? That wasn't "the Penguins don't trust young players anymore", that's "the Penguins don't trust the young guy I like over the other young guys". Yet people still screeched about how Sprong's usage shows that Sullivan doesn't trust young guys anymore.

Ironically, I think you're allowing your confirmation bias full rein here. You're constantly reading the most negative possible explanations into what I and some others are saying to try and prove its nothing. I feel like I'm repeating the same points over and over just in slightly different ways because you're expecting to read "No kids everything sucks" and addressing that rather that what is actually being said. But lets go again.

The trend can be both "Giving call ups to players playing well" AND "Giving call ups to guys without much offensive skill and no real future here". These things are not mutually exclusive.

Just like it can be that Wilson is the most logical replacement for ZAR who deserves it AND a maybe over conservative choice that's part of a a mildly concerning trend.

Yes the team is still giving kids a go. Yes there's been some pretty over the top reactions to occasions they haven't been. But I think you're starting to gallop off in the other direction. And, honestly, with his 7 point pace, Wilson isn't too far off being Glass/Adams. If any off.

And if he really truly is our best option then what are they doing down in WBS? As I said, either the management have it wrong, or the kids in WBS aren't getting coached well enough. Neither is good.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
aq788868888888888888888888888666666666666666qw29

Ironically, I think you're allowing your confirmation bias full rein here. You're constantly reading the most negative possible explanations into what I and some others are saying to try and prove its nothing. I feel like I'm repeating the same points over and over just in slightly different ways because you're expecting to read "No kids everything sucks" and addressing that rather that what is actually being said. But lets go again.

The trend can be both "Giving call ups to players playing well" AND "Giving call ups to guys without much offensive skill and no real future here". These things are not mutually exclusive.

Just like it can be that Wilson is the most logical replacement for ZAR who deserves it AND a maybe over conservative choice that's part of a a mildly concerning trend.

Yes the team is still giving kids a go. Yes there's been some pretty over the top reactions to occasions they haven't been. But I think you're starting to gallop off in the other direction. And, honestly, with his 7 point pace, Wilson isn't too far off being Glass/Adams. If any off.

And if he really truly is our best option then what are they doing down in WBS? As I said, either the management have it wrong, or the kids in WBS aren't getting coached well enough. Neither is good.

Or theyre literally just looking to plug a spot as the 13th firward with someone theyboth KNOW wont hurt them, and the KNOW wont hurt any possible development of riding pine or getting 6 minutes.

And that it has absolutely nothing to do with either being wring or wbs development.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pearson - Malkin - Simon sounds cool.

Yeah that really suits that line better. Pearson has a good hard shot and Simon, Malkin are the playmakers. Simon and Pearson don’t shy away from the puck battles either.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
terrible news on Horny. A third concussion in a short period of time, he should be out for a while. I can't believe that he got concussed from that puck hit with a short trajectory...

He just keeps getting hit in the head area with the puck..that’s like three times already this year...there’s something in there that attracts rubber...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or theyre literally just looking to plug a spot as the 13th firward with someone theyboth KNOW wont hurt them, and the KNOW wont hurt any possible development of riding pine or getting 6 minutes.

And that it has absolutely nothing to do with either being wring or wbs development.

They've given kids (including Blueger) 13th forward duty/really low ice time before so that's not necessarily an issue. And if the guy they've been grooming as a shut down guy for two and a bit years is going to hurt them, maybe there is a problem with WBS development.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They've given kids (including Blueger) 13th forward duty/really low ice time before so that's not necessarily an issue. And if the guy they've been grooming as a shut down guy for two and a bit years is going to hurt them, maybe there is a problem with WBS development.

Or maybe hes a center not a winger and Wilson is good enough in the role that it doesnt matter a lick.

Also known vs unknown.

Also even if Blueger sucked it might very well just be Blueger.

Every minor non issue move doesnt have to be a referendum on something.

Also for a thought exercise, give one good reason why the should choose Blueger. Other that your personal curiosity.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Looking at that line up I only see three right handed shooters. Which means half our RW's and 2/3 of our right defense play a good bit on their backhand in the D zone.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
terrible news on Horny. A third concussion in a short period of time, he should be out for a while. I can't believe that he got concussed from that puck hit with a short trajectory...
Each time you get a concussion, it makes the next one easier to get. Especially if it's been within a year. Hope it's a minor one, but at this rate he's going to get one just by looking at the puck.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or maybe hes a center not a winger and Wilson is good enough in the role that it doesnt matter a lick.

Also known vs unknown.

Also even if Blueger sucked it might very well just be Blueger.

Every minor non issue move doesnt have to be a referendum on something.

Also for a thought exercise, give one good reason why the should choose Blueger. Other that your personal curiosity.

Higher scoring potential, more important to the organisation going forwards, better skater, better playmaker with the puck on his stick in space (based on what little I've seen), belief that there's a strong chance he's just a better player. There we go. Does that mean he should be there? Dunno. But its not an open-shut case that they made the right decision.

At no point did I indicate my personal curiousity have anything to do with it. Stop inventing stuff about my posts to satisfy your own biases.

Also, since people are making me think about Wilson, its pretty frustrating that in their quest to get more physical, every player they've brought in to do so is just... alright. At best. And none of them really use their physicality all that well and most of them have made us one of slower or stupider. It's why the guy who's really hard done by here imo is Angello who, while raw, actually hurts people when he hits them and is fast enough to catch them when its useful.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Higher scoring potential, more important to the organisation going forwards, better skater, better playmaker with the puck on his stick in space (based on what little I've seen), belief that there's a strong chance he's just a better player. There we go. Does that mean he should be there? Dunno. But its not an open-shut case that they made the right decision.

At no point did I indicate my personal curiousity have anything to do with it. Stop inventing stuff about my posts to satisfy your own biases.

Also, since people are making me think about Wilson, its pretty frustrating that in their quest to get more physical, every player they've brought in to do so is just... alright. At best. And none of them really use their physicality all that well and most of them have made us one of slower or stupider. It's why the guy who's really hard done by here imo is Angello who, while raw, actually hurts people when he hits them and is fast enough to catch them when its useful.

First of all while all of those things maybe be true, were talking about a short term injury call up that will be in the pressbox after this road trip. How much is Blueger going to add in those area in the 6 minutes a night and is that small improvement worth the risk that not only will it fail to show in such a small sample but also not be a detriment because hes never played at the level.

Also lets not pretend the only reason prospect x, y or z isnt always being talked about is that people want to see what they can do. Which is never a legit reason for a hockey team to make a move.

Calling Blueger up to play wing has minimal upside, bigger downside both from a team performance stand point and a development standpoint because all of this will be irrelevant in 5 games anyway. There nothing real anyone is going to learn about the player in that small of a sample as well.

So the only legitimate reason i can see for someone wanting Bleuger or anyone else for that matter is to satisifu there own personal curiosity and see the new toy. But thats not a real reason to do anything.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
First of all while all of those things maybe be true, were talking about a short term injury call up that will be in the pressbox after this road trip. How much is Blueger going to add in those area in the 6 minutes a night and is that small improvement worth the risk that not only will it fail to show in such a small sample but also not be a detriment because hes never played at the level.

Also lets not pretend the only reason prospect x, y or z isnt always being talked about is that people want to see what they can do. Which is never a legit reason for a hockey team to make a move.

Calling Blueger up to play wing has minimal upside, bigger downside both from a team performance stand point and a development standpoint because all of this will be irrelevant in 5 games anyway. There nothing real anyone is going to learn about the player in that small of a sample as well.

So the only legitimate reason i can see for someone wanting Bleuger or anyone else for that matter is to satisifu there own personal curiosity and see the new toy. But thats not a real reason to do anything.

If you think the reasons I'm setting out are just pretend and not legitimate, there's no need to respond.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If you think the reasons I'm setting out are just pretend and not legitimate, there's no need to respond.

Its not pretend its that they ... Dont matter, not worth the risk for multiple reasons and completely irrelevant for the whole 5 games or so Wilson might be in the lineup.

I mean its really is completely this simple. You KNOW Wilson will be just fine in that role. There is zero incentive to risk otherwise in this specific situation.

If you just need something to not fall apart for a week duct tape gets the job done. No need to try something else just for the sake of trying something else.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Damn. Sucks i was wrong about Horny. Guy can't catch a break this season.
I wanna see what that 2nd line looks like on the ice. In theory it should be good with how Pearson is going.

On the non 13th F callup, are they trying to save as much cap as possible for the TDL while having the option to play Rig @ F if an injury occurs(or dressing 11F's 7D)? I suppose thats possible? They're out west with 8 healthy D.
Yet another obstacle blocking Bluegs, carrying 8 D. Sucks for him.
They probably would've called up Dea tho. Heh.

Reactions: EightyOne

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Damn. Sucks i was wrong about Horny. Guy can't catch a break this season.
I wanna see what that 2nd line looks like on the ice. In theory it should be good with how Pearson is going.

On the non 13th F callup, are they trying to save as much cap as possible for the TDL while having the option to play Rig @ F if an injury occurs(or dressing 11F's 7D)? I suppose thats possible? They're out west with 8 healthy D.
I thought I read on here that the team would stop banking cap space once they put Schultz on LTIR? Can anyone clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad