Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I thought I read on here that the team would stop banking cap space once they put Schultz on LTIR? Can anyone clarify?

Possibly but calling up another will eat away at our cap space and once Schultz returns we will be tight again.

Once the deadline has passed (assuming we don’t get any cap savings in trade) we will need that for call ups if we are hit with a bunch of injuries. JR’s first year we had to play with 5 D men for some of the end of the season because we had no cap room to bring guys up.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I'll be at both as well :thumbu:

The Honda Center has a few options surrounding the arena, but it's got a more suburban vibe than city vibe there (not a ton of walkable stuff, but the stuff close to the arena will be filled to the brim with Pens fans). Of course you're all of 2.5 miles from Disneyland and across the street from the baseball stadium, so there's plenty of options, but everything is very spread out and surrounded by parking lots the size of downtown Pittsburgh. I've honestly spent less time around the Staples Center so I don't have any specific recommendations for a 13 year-old now that the ESPN Zone is gone, but L.A. Live is filled to the brim with food and entertainment options.

Enjoy your trip. My pre-game routine involves grabbing a burger & beer at breweries near the venues. The JT Schmid's across from the Honda Center has become an annual ritual for me, in part because it gets overrun by Penguins fans every time. It's nothing special, but it's right across the street and that many fans of the opposition team in one venue makes for an interesting environment.
Thanks for the insight! We will hit up JT Schmid's, it is always so good to see how well Pens (and Steelers, though I am not a fan) fans travel, or have relocated, or whatever... If you see a dorkish looking dad wearing a Orpik Winter Classic sweater, with son sporting home #87 colors, give a shout and a pint is on me. I'm going to need a beer or two at a minimum as the kid talked me into Knott's Berry Friday morning/afternoon. You are lucky to live here. Did usual LA tourist stuff today, Universal and Griffith Park/Observatory, and we're staying at a sweet AirBnB in Long Beach. Cali is pretty amazing, the ladies are just spectacular, but can't figure out how to afford it! Yes, that means both California, and the ladies...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Thanks for the insight! We will hit up JT Schmid's, it is always so good to see how well Pens (and Steelers, though I am not a fan) fans travel, or have relocated, or whatever... If you see a dorkish looking dad wearing a Orpik Winter Classic sweater, with son sporting home #87 colors, give a shout and a pint is on me. I'm going to need a beer or two at a minimum as the kid talked me into Knott's Berry Friday morning/afternoon. You are lucky to live here. Did usual LA tourist stuff today, Universal and Griffith Park/Observatory, and we're staying at a sweet AirBnB in Long Beach. Cali is pretty amazing, the ladies are just spectacular, but can't figure out how to afford it! Yes, that means both California, and the ladies...

Not sure if Noble Ale Works is kid friendly, but I'd suggest that spot as a pregame before the event. You can park there and walk over to the arena. Killllller beer.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Not sure if Noble Ale Works is kid friendly, but I'd suggest that spot as a pregame before the event. You can park there and walk over to the arena. Killllller beer.
Got a parking pass already, but open to anything. My son presents as much more adult than does his father, in any case... Are you going to either game, Pixies? Would enjoy a debate as to Kim D's best bass lines in person..

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Don't look now, but the Pens have a 1 point lead on the BJs for second place in the Metro, and the BJs no longer have a game in hand. 4 points back from Washington.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Matt Murray loves the Pacific division
22 career games: 16-4-2
SV% .938
GAA 1.95

So does Casey De Smith
7 career games: 4-2-1
SV% .952
GAA 1.58

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I mean, it's 'Hey' and sadly not. My girl is working so I'm on one year old duty.
Bummed to hear it, but all for a worthy cause. I'll look forward to the Deal debate in the future. 'Hey' is an interesting call, I'm more old school, 'Here comes your man', maybe, but I dunno, need to think more. Got a great Breeders story for you sometime.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i'm happy for him.
And well, it just means another trip to nice weather like the previous 2 ASG's in Tampa and LA.
Go, have some fun. Have some laughs. You deserve it man.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yea, i'm happy for him.
And well, it just means another trip to nice weather like the previous 2 ASG's in Tampa and LA.
Go, have some fun. Have some laughs. You deserve it man.

I'm happy for him for the recognition, but we desperately need him healthy...I wish he would pull an Ovie and not go..

Reactions: Peat

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I mean, it's 'Hey' and sadly not. My girl is working so I'm on one year old duty.
Bummed to hear it. I'll look forward to the Deal debate in the future. 'Hey' is an interesting call, I'm more old school, 'Here comes your man', maybe, but I dunno. Got a great Breeders story for you sometime.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Meh at Letang going to ASG. I never watch it anymore, it's too boring. Wont be watching it again.

I'm imagine Letang's pretty meh about it too, I imagine for the vets they'd rather have the time off with their families.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I say it’s time to split the PP into 2 units. First unit has zero interest in back checking (unless it’s Hornqvist) so split it up and get 2 defensemen on each unit. (And get Rikola back in..). The carelessness and complete lack of effort or sense of urgency is embarrassing. The kopitar goal was a killer and NEVER should have happened.

On a positive note, Sid and Jake playing the PK makes me so happy. It’s too bad we waited this long to use Sid like this.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad