Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 3 [Impact coming to AXS in October]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Probably just a mark, but Okada/Scurll was my favorite match. Great storytelling. I thought the over the budget rumble was fun, but not as good as all the reviews made it out to be. Okada/Scurll was my favorite.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The show was fun but it seemed like a giant inside joke for BTE viewers. The Page/Joey Ryan thing is strictly a bit from YouTube and obviously the "Book Flip" gimmick was an ongoing joke as well.

Again, I'm curious to see what Cody does with that NWA belt. There wasn't any shocking in-ring results but they had some fun surprises after the matches though. Entertaining show but I'd rather get back NJPW stuff. The Destruction tour is about to start.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Everything I've read about the show has it coming off looking like an amazing event, and something they're going to try and build on.

As mentioned earlier, though, I'll agree that it a bit odd for Cody to book himself to win the NWA title for his big emotional in-ring moment. A tad self-serving, no? I guess there's shades of that in every promotion (HHH and his shovel, for starters, or Jeff Jarrett), but it came across as too "fairy tale"-ish, even for a scripted show. :dunno:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
It’s like nwa had nothing to do with the desicion to put the belt on Cody.

Plus they’re finally talking about it again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The show was fun but it seemed like a giant inside joke for BTE viewers. The Page/Joey Ryan thing is strictly a bit from YouTube and obviously the "Book Flip" gimmick was an ongoing joke as well.

Again, I'm curious to see what Cody does with that NWA belt. There wasn't any shocking in-ring results but they had some fun surprises after the matches though. Entertaining show but I'd rather get back NJPW stuff. The Destruction tour is about to start.
The entire show was promoted through BTE, though. That's where the initial promotion took place, it's where match announcements happened, it served as their platform to discuss it.

Sure, storylines from the show were incorporated and some are extremely goofy (Page/Ryan) but it's pretty normal for me. BTE leading up to All-In for me is like Raw leading up to a PPV.
Everything I've read about the show has it coming off looking like an amazing event, and something they're going to try and build on.

As mentioned earlier, though, I'll agree that it a bit odd for Cody to book himself to win the NWA title for his big emotional in-ring moment. A tad self-serving, no? I guess there's shades of that in every promotion (HHH and his shovel, for starters, or Jeff Jarrett), but it came across as too "fairy tale"-ish, even for a scripted show. :dunno:

The NWA title is more prominent today than it has been in decades. That alone makes the decision for Cody to win it worthwhile IMO.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I think that's what made this event unique. It's not really backed by a single promotion. The show seemed to be born out of BTE since the main cast of characters have been on the show. They did have a nice blend of wrestlers across promotions.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s like nwa had nothing to do with the desicion to put the belt on Cody.

Plus they’re finally talking about it again.
As a casual indy fan, I honestly didn't even know the belt was still around until this feud/idea came up. So... it got more eyes/attention on it. That's a great thing.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Oct 18, 2011

Cody winning the title was the logical outcome because the fans wanted to see it. For a night it mattered because of his family connection to that championship

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cody winning the title was the logical outcome because the fans wanted to see it. For a night it mattered because of his family connection to that championship

Yeah I agree. I thought about if Cody booked himself to lose. It would have been dumb. He deserved to have that moment and I didn't find it selfish at all. If he booked himself to lose, it would have made the title go back to doing nothing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There was no way for Rhodes to lose the match given how low his opponent was. The cringe aspect (selfish isn't exactly the word I would use, but it isn't far off) is making the match itself. That the NWA agreed to it doesn't make it any less tacky. Gordie Howe playing a shift for the IHL's Detroit Vipers was something that the team and league agreed to, and it even brought them some desperately desired attention, but it was something needless just so Howe could say that he played hockey in six different decades. Rhodes wanted to win the NWA title to be like his father, whom he is desperately trying to emulate. If the NWA title was actually a prestigious title, as it was when Dusty competed for it, that would be one thing, but it isn't. I can also assume that Rhodes did a Shawn Michaels in the middle of the ring after winning as if it had been some hardship for him to attain the prestigious title, even though that is clearly not true given that the recent champions range from "not bad" (Tenzan) to "didn't I see you wrestling for food behind Walmart?" (Tim Storm). But now Rhodes can call himself his family's "saviour" I guess, so that's that. It was a masturbatory angle that I certainly had no interest in but if others enjoyed it then that's fine as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There was no way for Rhodes to lose the match given how low his opponent was. The cringe aspect (selfish isn't exactly the word I would use, but it isn't far off) is making the match itself. That the NWA agreed to it doesn't make it any less tacky. Gordie Howe playing a shift for the IHL's Detroit Vipers was something that the team and league agreed to, and it even brought them some desperately desired attention, but it was something needless just so Howe could say that he played hockey in six different decades. Rhodes wanted to win the NWA title to be like his father, whom he is desperately trying to emulate. If the NWA title was actually a prestigious title, as it was when Dusty competed for it, that would be one thing, but it isn't. I can also assume that Rhodes did a Shawn Michaels in the middle of the ring after winning as if it had been some hardship for him to attain the prestigious title, even though that is clearly not true given that the recent champions range from "not bad" (Tenzan) to "didn't I see you wrestling for food behind Walmart?" (Tim Storm). But now Rhodes can call himself his family's "saviour" I guess, so that's that. It was a *********ory angle that I certainly had no interest in but if others enjoyed it then that's fine as well.
What exactly is so wrong with that, though?

The NWA was a legitimate competitor to WWE during his father's time. Who is to say that isn't what Cody wants to do? Obviously, he's a LONG way from ever being able to compete with WWE along with his friends, but this was a start and it showed that maybe, just maybe, it can be done.

He's not going to do it with NJPW. He's not going to do it with Impact Wrestling, and chances are he isn't going to do it with ROH. Maybe this is his next best bet.

And again, I just don't know what you're expecting from that match. It's not like the NWA title PRIOR to the match was highly sought after, so of course his opponent wasn't going to be some high profile star.. But I'd be willing to bet that after All-In, that title will be defended by Cody against some pretty big names as he tries to bring legitimacy back to it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
All In was the most celebratory moment in wrestling that I can remember in a long time. The fact people can even poke holes in it is laughable to me. What they accomplished is nothing short of amazing and every wrestler/worker deserve the utmost praise for putting it together.

I'm sure the work is still ongoing for Cody/Bucks as they are probably still getting payout/paying bills/etc. That stuff is not easy and they are full time wrestlers. :laugh:

There is not enough praise to give, IMO. People take things for granted. What happened on 9/1 was a wrestling moment that should live forever. It's a way to celebrate the world of wrestling outside of WWE.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its f***ing crazy. it was such a huge party. hopefuly it becomes a tradition in different cities anualy.
would love to have been part of it as a fan.

Reactions: ColePens

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What exactly is so wrong with that, though?

The NWA was a legitimate competitor to WWE during his father's time. Who is to say that isn't what Cody wants to do? Obviously, he's a LONG way from ever being able to compete with WWE along with his friends, but this was a start and it showed that maybe, just maybe, it can be done.

He's not going to do it with NJPW. He's not going to do it with Impact Wrestling, and chances are he isn't going to do it with ROH. Maybe this is his next best bet.

And again, I just don't know what you're expecting from that match. It's not like the NWA title PRIOR to the match was highly sought after, so of course his opponent wasn't going to be some high profile star.. But I'd be willing to bet that after All-In, that title will be defended by Cody against some pretty big names as he tries to bring legitimacy back to it.

My issue with it (his attempts to emulate Dusty) is how he has carried himself with regard to Dusty since joining the independent scene. I like Rhodes so I actually don't want to trash him, but the way he talks and acts about Dusty strikes me as very odd. Dusty was a better performer than Cody has been to this point, so if he can emulate that then that's a good thing. Things like getting your father's moniker tattooed above your heart, throwing a tantrum when people don't say that your father created Starrcade (when he actually didn't) and booking your own show largely around you winning your father's belt, even though that belt lost its prestige a long time ago, are things that make Rhodes look worse to me than he should. It's all a bit much from him, and I have long liked and supported Rhodes.

As far as what I wanted, I already said it. A better opponent with a better angle than Cody wanting to be like his father by winning a title he is way above and after basically no chase. Unfortunately the NWA ceased to be relevant roughly 30 years ago and carries on in little more than name. I like the NWA product and still watch it today from time to time. That era isn't coming back though, and seeing a spectacle made about winning the NWA title doesn't impress me. I think all of this was pretty clear in my comments from before though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My issue with it (his attempts to emulate Dusty) is how he has carried himself with regard to Dusty since joining the independent scene. I like Rhodes so I actually don't want to trash him, but the way he talks and acts about Dusty strikes me as very odd. Dusty was a better performer than Cody has been to this point, so if he can emulate that then that's a good thing. Things like getting your father's moniker tattooed above your heart, throwing a tantrum when people don't say that your father created Starrcade (when he actually didn't) and booking your own show largely around you winning your father's belt, even though that belt lost its prestige a long time ago, are things that make Rhodes look worse to me than he should. It's all a bit much from him, and I have long liked and supported Rhodes.

As far as what I wanted, I already said it. A better opponent with a better angle than Cody wanting to be like his father by winning a title he is way above and after basically no chase. Unfortunately the NWA ceased to be relevant roughly 30 years ago and carries on in little more than name. I like the NWA product and still watch it today from time to time. That era isn't coming back though, and seeing a spectacle made about winning the NWA title doesn't impress me. I think all of this was pretty clear in my comments from before though.

Well, he's getting over, so he's doing it right.

This, like most of the other matches on the show, culminated and paid off with what the crowd wanted.

Billy Corgan bought the NWA rights for something exactly like this, because he wants the NWA title to mean something.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well, he's getting over, so he's doing it right.

This, like most of the other matches on the show, culminated and paid off with what the crowd wanted.

Billy Corgan bought the NWA rights for something exactly like this, because he wants the NWA title to mean something.

I don't know what "it" you are talking about. The Ultimate Warrior was tremendously over, I don't know that what he was doing was actually good. I also don't see that doing exactly what the crowd wants is inherently a good thing either. Countless crowds wanted Dusty Rhodes to walk away with the NWA title instead of Flair, but thankfully Flair usually came away with it. Older crowds always wanted the face to win no matter what, and that would have been a debacle. Of course in this instance Rhodes was so far above his opponent that there was only one possible outcome, but that itself is part of the issue. I am mystified by why some people either cannot understand or accept why a guy crowning himself with a relic of the past and selling it as a huge moment may be offputting to some.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Meltzer's ratings

Briscoes vs SCU- 3.75*
Over Budget Battle Royal- 4*
Cross vs MJF- 2.75*
Daniels vs Amell- 2.75*
Women’s four way- 3.25*
Cody vs Aldis- 4*
Page vs Janela- 4.25*
Lethal vs Flip- 3.5*
Omega vs Penta- 4.5*
Okada vs Scurll- 4.25*
Golden Elite vs Mysterio/Fenix/Bandido- 4.5*

seems super generous for some matches. heres mine

Briscoes vs SCU- 3.5*
Over Budget Battle Royal- 4.25*
Cross vs MJF- 2.5*
Daniels vs Amell- 3*
Women’s four way- 3.5*
Cody vs Aldis- 3.25*
Page vs Janela- 4.25*
Lethal vs Flip- 3.75*
Omega vs Penta- 4.25*
Okada vs Scurll- 4.5*
Golden Elite vs Mysterio/Fenix/Bandido- 3.5*

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
He was there live, so you were watching different things.

fair enough but I heard him calling the main event possible the best tagn team match of the year and that feels like a huge stretch

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Is the Meltzer driver the stupidest move ever or what? I mean Nick(or Matt) barely touches the opponent so the whole spring board portion of it makes zero sense.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is the Meltzer driver the stupidest move ever or what? I mean Nick(or Matt) barely touches the opponent so the whole spring board portion of it makes zero sense.

Had to look it up but yes, that did look pretty dumb.

Almost as bad as the Canadian Destroyer, or rather, "hey y'know what'll be great? If I gave myself a piledriver!"

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF

I mean if were picking apart nonsense moves we will be here all year

Reactions: Morozov

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.

Believe that's kind of the point of it. The initial move was just a springboard to aid in a piledriver. Then I believe Meltzer complained about something so they added a flip into the move and renamed it the Meltzer Driver ("for 5 stars"). Supposed to be nonsensical.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yup. But at least it makes (wrestling) sense in that it's an assisted pile driver (even if it can look bad some times). It's not like Del Rio's tree-of-woe stomp, that doesn't even make wrestling sense at all.

But Corbin's self Rock Bottom is probably my fav for things like this still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad