Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 3 [Impact coming to AXS in October]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I saw a clip of the Ryan segment from NJPW World, its so heavily pixelated :laugh:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yup, that's exactly what happened

I had to watch it lol.

I have to say, I get that it's a joke, but I can't exactly disagree with Cornette's assessment that it's kind of embarrassing to the product. If he did the lollipop thing alone that's fine, but the penis of death thing is kinda ridiculous.

Reactions: TNT87

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I had to watch it lol.

I have to say, I get that it's a joke, but I can't exactly disagree with Cornette's assessment that it's kind of embarrassing to the product. If he did the lollipop thing alone that's fine, but the penis of death thing is kinda ridiculous.
I get that perspective.

But I'd say at least 90% of the people in that building knew who Joey Ryan is. And the show had 10,000 people. The first time anyone's done that outside of WWE since WCW. And way better comedy than we're used to seeing.

Reactions: sabremike

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I had to watch it lol.

Cornette hates anything that isn't exactly like old school southern wrestling. He hates the Bucks, he hates Omega, he hates Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn, he hates damn near everyone that doesn't do wrestling the way he thinks it should be done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Joey Ryan but I also don't take a thing Jim Cornette says seriously.

Reactions: Raymondo316

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Cody also helped in making Aldis look very good. Had no issue with Cody "booking himself to win". It made sense

Obviously he wins if the match takes place, the match just shouldn't have taken place. The cringe comes from him going out of his way to book a match against the NWA champion when the NWA title has been completely irrelevant for years. He used the show as an opportunity to get himself his father's title even though the title is irrelevant now and his opponent wouldn't be particularly good. It wasn't even like there was a real build to the match. It was needless.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
I had to watch it lol.

10,000 chanting REST IN PENIs....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I seriously doubt the NWA has an issue with making the title the most relevant it's been in a couple decades. The fact that it's Dusty's kid doesn't hurt matters, either.

I said nothing about the NWA having an issue with it. It's the equivalent of Charlotte Flair in the future booking herself to win a sixteenth world title, but the belt is some low level world championship. It's Honkytonk Man's son booking himself to win an intercontinental title and hold it for as long as his father did. It's tacky. In his first opportunity to make his own show he gave himself his father's title even though the title is irrelevant and his opponent wouldn't be particularly good.

To say there was no real build to the NWA title match is to say you really weren’t paying attention, it’s been going since before Wrestlemania

You'll have to explain the build for me then, as all I know about is Rhodes challenging him and then crying about how he is going to be the family's saviour by booking himself to win the belt and how he is doing it for his father.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
So we went to Warrior Wrestling 2 last night (it was a scholarship fundraiser for Marian Catholic High School) and we got to do the meet and greet with Rey Mysterio, David Arquette, Austin Aries, Pentagon, Fenix, Cage, Tessa Blanchard, Matanza/Jeff Cobb, Veda Scott (who had her giant cat mascot head), and a few others. Everyone was super cool, and Tessa and Fenix are so good with younger fans, they deserve all of the good things that will happen in life.

Sam Adonis gets himself into a lot of trouble, but... he’s got IT. Can’t speak for him as a person or how much is a character vs. how much is a natural un-likability, but if he stays out of trouble and gets a larger platform, he could be something.

RJ City has insane comedic timing, so he was perfect with David Arquette against James Ellsworth and Frank the Clown (who was a little rough in his debut, but his pre-match video was excellent). David Arquette was pretty great, and I’d legitimately love to see his tag team with RJ City continue.

Love the concept of the main event, which started as a 4 vs. 4, then the winning team split into 2 vs. 2, then the winners split again into 1 vs. 1 for the championship. Gave us the opportunity to see sequences of Mysterio vs. Fenix, Mysterio vs. Pentagon, Pentagon vs. Fenix, Cobb vs. Cage, and everyone vs. Aries who ended up getting a 619 from teammate Mysterio because he kept running his mouth. As Cage said at the end of the night, if All In was one of the greatest nights in professional wrestling, Warrior Wrestling was the perfect after party.

Just a crazy weekend. I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck.

Reactions: ColePens

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Marty-Okada match was fantastic.

Also enjoyed the street fight and marked for Black Machismo. Amell also didn't look terribly out of place.

Stream was kinda crapping out during the Omega match so I'll go back and watch that again at some point. Saw the finish and after match stuff though.

Only thing I was a bit disappointed in was hoping there was some time of swerve or something at the end. It just went off the air. If they had nothing planned (Neville or Firing Squad run in) they should have just had either the Omega match or NWA title go on last.

Reactions: ColePens

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I said nothing about the NWA having an issue with it. It's the equivalent of Charlotte Flair in the future booking herself to win a sixteenth world title, but the belt is some low level world championship. It's Honkytonk Man's son booking himself to win an intercontinental title and hold it for as long as his father did. It's tacky. In his first opportunity to make his own show he gave himself his father's title even though the title is irrelevant and his opponent wouldn't be particularly good.

You'll have to explain the build for me then, as all I know about is Rhodes challenging him and then crying about how he is going to be the family's saviour by booking himself to win the belt and how he is doing it for his father.

You're going to have to decide whether the title is irrelevant or it's a shame he's booking himself to win it. If it doesn't matter to you, then so what?

The fact of the matter is Cody is probably the biggest name to hold the title in quite a while, and if he tours the country and world with it he can bring a certain amount of prestige to it. I'm sure the NWA was happy to put it on him.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Only thing I was a bit disappointed in was hoping there was some time of swerve or something at the end. It just went off the air. If they had nothing planned (Neville or Firing Squad run in) they should have just had either the Omega match or NWA title go on last.

i mean.... we almost thought we wouldnt be able to see it.
they did what they could so fans get a chance to see this. cant blame them..

jericho had a show in another city, they had to go. and it would had suck to see Cody win and cut it.
it does suck for the Bucks, as producers, couldnt go longer but i doubt they feel bad after the tremendous succes of the show.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Anyone know the best site to buy a sub to and watch this ppv in full? I'll take any advice before I buy.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You're going to have to decide whether the title is irrelevant or it's a shame he's booking himself to win it. If it doesn't matter to you, then so what?

The fact of the matter is Cody is probably the biggest name to hold the title in quite a while, and if he tours the country and world with it he can bring a certain amount of prestige to it. I'm sure the NWA was happy to put it on him.

My statements are in no way contradictory, so it isn't an either or proposition. The title is irrelevant, and it is cringe inducing that he booked himself to win his father's title in such a manner. The irrelevance of the title is a big part of why it induces eye rolling from me. I don't doubt that Corgan was happy to hitch his title (basically a zombie NWA title) onto Rhodes. That has nothing to do with what I said, despite multiple people irrelevantly stating it, as the opinions of the NWA owners or stakeholders were never mentioned. With a better opponent for Rhodes than Aldis and a less cringe inducing angle the show would have been better.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
How anyone can complain about the NWA title thing is beyond me. It was built up fantastically, was a story that everyone got behind and lead to a memorable moment and the highlight of the whole show. Isn't that the whole point of a show?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I had to watch it lol.

The biggest crowd to see non WWE pro wrestling in this country in nearly 20 years ate it up like Scott Darling at a Golden Coral so who gives a crap? And Corny grew up on Memphis wrestling which did plenty of silly and absurd stuff which is why I find his complaints ironic.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Was a decent show but nothing really blew me away and there was some odd stuff going on. The match layouts sometimes didn't make sense (Amell dominating Daniels and being both face/heel, or the Cody injury/DDP run in) and someone should of stepped in to get Scrull/Okada under control.

Most surprised by the production. The set looked great, the commentary was pretty decent, camera work and video packages very professional.

There was just something missing to give it that really big buzz. Jericho was neat but it makes sense since he was promoting his cruise.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I honestly don't know what more you want. This build has been going on for months, and that show was the perfect show for Cody to win the title.

I really don't understand how this has been so difficult to grasp. I would want a better wrestler for Rhodes to face than Aldis and an angle that isn't Rhodes giving himself the lowly NWA title so that he can indulge himself in his efforts to emulate his father. Honestly the way Rhodes has carried on with regard to Dusty since leaving WWE leaves a bad taste in my mouth and this is part of it, though it isn't really the purview of this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad