Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Interesting booking choice to put them in the same group and not just set a possible meeting in the final where Ibushi wins the G1 and faces him again at Tokyo Dome for the belt. B Block is loaded with Kenny, Ibushi, Naito, Sabre, Goto and Ishii. Naito-Ibushi in Night 1 last year was probably the best match of the entire tournament...excited for a rematch.

Seems pretty well set up for Okada to win A Block but I think the winner comes out of B Block. Okada-Omega can't happen again for quite a while.

Solid field overall...was hoping for Cody to be in but nice opportunity for Hangman. Curious to see if Juice wins the US title in San Francisco...how does that affect the booking for Jay White in A Block. Switchblade vs. Okada is an intriguing match considering.

Curious to see how the schedule sets up...do they tip their hand with the matches in the final day of block action.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Okada-Omega can definitely happen again, Kenny needs to beat him in the Tokyo Dome

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Okada-Omega can definitely happen again, Kenny needs to beat him in the Tokyo Dome
Why? He pinned Okada twice. The pay off was if Kenny could hit Okada with that OWA, it’d be over for Okada and he did it twice in one match. He doesn’t need to beat him in the Tokyo Dome.

And honest question, but you said pushing Gargano vs. Ciampa in a title match to NXT Takeover before Wrestlemania is pushing that story too long, at nearly two years, but if you push Kenny vs. Okada to the Dome AGAIN, that’s stretching it to 2.5 years.

Aside from the names, it’s very similar. Two programs that got you emotionally invested in the ride and had a huge pay off. Omega/Okada had their huge pay off. Gargano/Ciampa hasn’t — a title change would have that huge pay off. I’m just curious as to what is different here in terms of length now that you said Okada vs. Omega can happen again.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Okada-Omega is the best in-ring rivalry while Ciampa-Gargano is the best overall feud. There's no grudge or heat between the guys (Okada-Omega)...it's just the two best guys vying to be the better man. Omega's best feud is with Cody.

You can always go back to Okada-Omega...there will always be magic but the big moment was Kenny finally beating Okada and ending the title reign. That was a moment. It can be one of those great rivalries they can draw upon like they've done with Okada and Tanahashi. Can't run it into the ground like the WWE did with Orton and Cena.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why? He pinned Okada twice. The pay off was if Kenny could hit Okada with that OWA, it’d be over for Okada and he did it twice in one match. He doesn’t need to beat him in the Tokyo Dome.

And honest question, but you said pushing Gargano vs. Ciampa in a title match to NXT Takeover before Wrestlemania is pushing that story too long, at nearly two years, but if you push Kenny vs. Okada to the Dome AGAIN, that’s stretching it to 2.5 years.

Aside from the names, it’s very similar. Two programs that got you emotionally invested in the ride and had a huge pay off. Omega/Okada had their huge pay off. Gargano/Ciampa hasn’t — a title change would have that huge pay off. I’m just curious as to what is different here in terms of length now that you said Okada vs. Omega can happen again.
Because he has to do it in the Tokyo Dome. That’s how it works over there. Same thing Okada had to do with Tanahashi.

New Japan knows how to spread it out. They send everyone off their seperate ways until it’s time to come back to it. With Gargano and Ciampa and WWE, it’s just not what they do. And they’re not fighting for a championship.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
OMFG the ending to the new Being The Elite my body is not ready

I really do wonder if they’ve cut a deal for a one off on neutral ground. Maybe Jericho’s cruise?

I wonder if they’d also do a one off trade: New Day vs. The Elite at an NXT, and NJPW gets whoever they want from WWE in a one-off (I’ve seen people suggest Jericho vs. Rollins in the battle of IC champs but WWE would never let their champion lose unless WWE gave The Elite the win in this hypothetical scenario).

Because he has to do it in the Tokyo Dome. That’s how it works over there. Same thing Okada had to do with Tanahashi.

I think Omega has had him dead to rights quite a few times that they don’t immediately have to follow up with yet another title match. Do a year long program with Okada admitting he took Kenny for granted and not training like he should have for the match. Have him lose the G1 by a single point, or even in the finals. Have him beat Jericho for the IC Title eventually after getting serious about putting in the work. Have him come back with a G1 win next year and do Kenny vs. Okada again at WK14 with a more serious, better trained Okada.

I think Kenny should have a fresh opponent at WK13. Whether it be Tanahashi, Ibushi, whoever. Do a longer build for an Okada who takes training for Kenny more serious if you must do it again within the next 18 months.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I really do wonder if they’ve cut a deal for a one off on neutral ground. Maybe Jericho’s cruise?

I wonder if they’d also do a one off trade: New Day vs. The Elite at an NXT, and NJPW gets whoever they want from WWE in a one-off (I’ve seen people suggest Jericho vs. Rollins in the battle of IC champs but WWE would never let their champion lose unless WWE gave The Elite the win in this hypothetical scenario).

I feel like if NJPW made a match trade, they would want one of WWE's guys to face one of theirs (im not really counting Jericho as a "NJPW guy")

Cena v Tanahashi would be lit, or Rollins v Okada

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I feel like if NJPW made a match trade, they would want one of WWE's guys to face one of theirs (im not really counting Jericho as a "NJPW guy")

Cena v Tanahashi would be lit, or Rollins v Okada
If NJPW loaned WWE The Elite, Cena vs. Tanahashi is a must in return lol. At a WK ideally.

What a world we’re in where we’re literally discussing the two top companies loaning talent.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
If NJPW loaned WWE The Elite, Cena vs. Tanahashi is a must in return lol. At a WK ideally.

What a world we’re in where we’re literally discussing the two top companies loaning talent.

Vince: "we'll give you THE BIG DOG Roman Reigns"
Gedo "ehhh were alright"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t see both companies actively working with each other

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
wwe promoted the shit of the capcom match. so not surprised to let them do a little thing on BTE.
we've had Sami, AJ and Owens appear before (in the background. on the same episode_)

Not the biggest new day fan but i would love see all this happen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
wwe promoted the **** of the capcom match. so not surprised to let them do a little thing on BTE.
we've had Sami, AJ and Owens appear before (in the background. on the same episode_)

Not the biggest new day fan but i would love see all this happen.

The promos alone would be amazing considering what they did at E3. Plus we know all 6 guys can go.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's their own domain, so there probably isn't anything anyone can do to stop them from appearing.

Xavier Woods has appeared on stuff with Kenny in the past as well.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't see them being able to make anything happen. What's the payoff for WWE? A bunch of WWE fans who haven't been exposed to the Bucks and Kenny will be like omg these guys are awesome and want to watch more of them which is basically what the WWE don't want.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I don't see them being able to make anything happen. What's the payoff for WWE? A bunch of WWE fans who haven't been exposed to the Bucks and Kenny will be like omg these guys are awesome and want to watch more of them which is basically what the WWE don't want.

I think it's clear that Wwe is trying to to butter up the Elite to make a push to sign them in November. Promoting tyeir E3 match, uploading Omega matches on the network. Letting ethem work the New Day which they have wanted to for a while might just be part of it. Still think there's Zero chance they sign though lol

Reactions: Morozov

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The actual G1 schedule is released...Suzuki-Tanahashi and Okada-White are the openers in A Block on July 14. B Block opens July 15 with a couple snoozers...Omega-Naito and Sabre-Ibushi.

As I wondered...they booked Tanahashi-Okada for the last day of A Block (August 10) and Omega-Ibushi for the last day of B Block (August 11). The finals on the 12th. This'll be great.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
ALL IN twitter: 100% this event will be broadcasted in some capacity, We want as many people to see it.

Details to come.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I just saw the Okada-Omega match. I am 40 right now and hopefully I get another 2 score and 10 years before I meet my maker. If that happens and I ever see another match this good I will feel blessed. This is the greatest match ever and I just can't imagine it ever being topped. The incredible attention to detail and history were unbelievable. For example having Okada win the first fall without the rainmaker to make you think he "has" to win another fall because the move is being saved. Omega winning the second fall with the one winged angel to make you think he already used it so he won't use it and thus won't win the third fall. One neat touch was when the table was on the outside and Omega teased a dragon through it off the table. He gestured to the young boy to move the guardrail even though he knew he wasn't going to hit the move but he wanted to make the crowd think it would happen. That one small detail is an example of why this match was so beyond great.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They actually never paid off the table spot, which I thought was interesting because you always do. And I wasn’t putting it past then to do the dragon suplex just because I know these guys are nuts.

Wonder if these guys will do a ladder match, Omega wanted one with Tanahashi, but Tana got hurt so they put Elgin in it.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
In total a really good card for San Francisco...Goto vs. Cobb for the NEVER openweight belt and Hiromu vs. Dragon Lee for the junior belt were added to the show. This is going to be another AXS event, right? We're not getting Kelly and Cyrus on the call...as much as we all love JR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad