Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In total a really good card for San Francisco...Goto vs. Cobb for the NEVER openweight belt and Hiromu vs. Dragon Lee for the junior belt were added to the show. This is going to be another AXS event, right? We're not getting Kelly and Cyrus on the call...as much as we all love JR.
You can probably get it on New Japan World after the show.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone happen to watch Rise? Maybe @quoipourquoi or @Natey? Their plan is to have a weekly show on Wednesdays but their promotor has been pretty open about the fact that they're in a dire situation and are right now planning for their July 7 tapings to be the final ones.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Anyone happen to watch Rise? Maybe @quoipourquoi or @Natey? Their plan is to have a weekly show on Wednesdays but their promotor has been pretty open about the fact that they're in a dire situation and are right now planning for their July 7 tapings to be the final ones.

I feel bad, because they usually have shows on Fridays before Shimmer and I never go - when it’s such an affordable ticket. I’ll have to see if I can make it to Naperville next week. Kevin Harvey is a super cool dude, so I’m hoping for the best. Some good content on their streaming service too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel bad, because they usually have shows on Fridays before Shimmer and I never go - when it’s such an affordable ticket. I’ll have to see if I can make it to Naperville next week. Kevin Harvey is a super cool dude, so I’m hoping for the best. Some good content on their streaming service too.

I feel like the two should be pooling their resources especially if they rely on the same market. Rise sounds like they have a bit of a different model and goals but ultimately the same target audience.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I feel like the two should be pooling their resources especially if they rely on the same market. Rise sounds like they have a bit of a different model and goals but ultimately the same target audience.

I think part of it is that Rise is as reliant on wrestlers attending the afternoon seminars as they are fans attending the evening shows - which after ~10 shows in 2 years might have been too many too quickly (Monday morning quarterback here). Pretty legit names at the seminars - Aja Kong, Saraya Knight, Madison Eagles, Nicole Matthews, etc. - so if you want to get some polish from someone, the only better option might be Sara Del Rey in NXT.

I think they’ve sold out each of the four shows paired with Shimmer weekend - which I would guess also saves money for flying in talent - so I’d like to think they’ll find a way to hang in there even if it’s more Berwyn than California.

Makes it even more impressive that Shine found a foothold.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I can say I had never heard of Rise. I always just thought Shine was the development stomping grounds for Shimmer.

I read Mr. Harvey's plea and I almost feel guilty not knowing about it or what it was. I'm sure Rise was probably mentioned in some of the Shimmer e-mails I received, but I generally just delete them. I watch as much Shimmer as I can, as well as Stardom (Mayu <3). Shine I used to catch on occasion, but haven't recently.

I'll tell you if Rise ran close to where I lived, I'd be there every show. But it's hard to support a product you don't know about and that runs so far from where I reside.

But I watch NJPW, WWE, NXT, Stardom, Shimmer, sometimes IMPACT, LUCHA when it's on. I even watch some AAA, CMLL, or Noah from time to time. There's just so much damn wrestling.

I agree with @quoipourquoi ... 10 seminars with talent like that seems pretty crazy. This might have been much more achievable if they ran a few less seminars or only paired seminars with other shows (Shimmer, Shine, RoH, etc). Or if Kevin Harvey was actually one of those women.

I've followed them on Twitch for now.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, I can say I had never heard of Rise. I always just thought Shine was the development stomping grounds for Shimmer.

I read Mr. Harvey's plea and I almost feel guilty not knowing about it or what it was. I'm sure Rise was probably mentioned in some of the Shimmer e-mails I received, but I generally just delete them. I watch as much Shimmer as I can, as well as Stardom (Mayu <3). Shine I used to catch on occasion, but haven't recently.

I'll tell you if Rise ran close to where I lived, I'd be there every show. But it's hard to support a product you don't know about and that runs so far from where I reside.

But I watch NJPW, WWE, NXT, Stardom, Shimmer, sometimes IMPACT, LUCHA when it's on. I even watch some AAA, CMLL, or Noah from time to time. There's just so much damn wrestling.

I agree with @quoipourquoi ... 10 seminars with talent like that seems pretty crazy. This might have been much more achievable if they ran a few less seminars or only paired seminars with other shows (Shimmer, Shine, RoH, etc). Or if Kevin Harvey was actually one of those women.

I've followed them on Twitch for now.

I really only know about it because Rosemary tweets about it a bunch since she isn’t written off there.

I think with these seminars is that there probably doing them again too soon in a given market. Most of the women interested likely already participated and they need time to build up more interest

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
pentagon jr

-mask on the line vs Sami Callihan at Impact's Slammiversary
-mask on the line vs L.A. Park/Fantasma/Psycho Clown at TripleMania
-mask on the line vs Caristico (original Mistico/original Sin Cara) at CMLL's anniversary

(that cmll match should be fire)

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
pentagon jr

-mask on the line vs Sami Callihan at Impact's Slammiversary
-mask on the line vs L.A. Park/Fantasma/Psycho Clown at TripleMania
-mask on the line vs Caristico (original Mistico/original Sin Cara) at CMLL's anniversary

(that cmll match should be fire)

If Pentagon loses his mask, I would be devastated.

Reactions: Disclose

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
pretty confident he's winning all 3.

(maybe not TripleMania, but he's not losing his mask. only one does and most of the time is the veteran. in this case la parka)

but yes. he's one of the best in mexio. the most known today outside WWE guys. he needs to keep the mask as long as he can.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
im dumb.

yeah so Chicano Power died.
means only Misterioso and Konnan are the only to surviving members of Gringos Locos in Mexico:

Eddie Guerrero
Love Machine (Art Barr)
Black Cat
Madonna's boyfriend (Louie Spicoli)
Chicano Power (El Broncas)

:(

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Did I see All-In has Okada vs. The Villain?!?! f***ing eh I have to watch. Scurll might be my #1 favorite wrestler in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad