All-Purpose News Thread Part II

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I would strongly disagree that they are a lot better on the mic than Cena. The guy has always been able to talk and cut great promos. In ring ability obviously very mediocre but most legends are mediocre.

I also disagree about Cena not making wrestling more popular. The guy's merchandise sales and international marketability relative to his longevity is unreal. Look at how many young kids grew up die hard Cena fans, akin to the young Hulkamaniacs of the 80s.

I think a lot of people dislike Cena because of how management shoved him down our throats for years on end without caring about any other wrestler. That taints the image of him imo.
To each their own but Cena's promos have always horrible to me. They're lame, corny and his delivery sucks.

Cena sold lots of merchandise but wrestling's popularity declined during his days at the top while it did the opposite when those other guys were the top dogs. I wouldn't put that all on Cena but he didn't help the situation.

I do agree with your last paragraph and that causes him to get more hate than he deserves but nonetheless I still can't view him as anything more than a mediocre talent who Vince had a hard on for.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I would strongly disagree that they are a lot better on the mic than Cena. The guy has always been able to talk and cut great promos. In ring ability obviously very mediocre but most legends are mediocre.

I also disagree about Cena not making wrestling more popular. The guy's merchandise sales and international marketability relative to his longevity is unreal. Look at how many young kids grew up die hard Cena fans, akin to the young Hulkamaniacs of the 80s.

I think a lot of people dislike Cena because of how management shoved him down our throats for years on end without caring about any other wrestler. That taints the image of him imo.
Never the best in the ring, but his ability to read a crowd and pace a match to get the desired reaction, at the right time, second to none. He knows exactly when to push it, exactly when to let the heel get momentum, exactly when to put the rests and the higher spots in. Maybe his athleticism was never the greatest, but I think he gets the most out of more matches than almost anybody else. I think it also helps that in terms of building hype before the match starts he's the best to do it.

Hated what his character became, but massive respect for his contributions. It was awesome to see him briskly scamper down that Wrestlemania ramp lol, and get a few moves in. His Raw appearance was equally fun.

To each their own but Cena's promos have always horrible to me. They're lame, corny and his delivery sucks.

Cena sold lots of merchandise but wrestling's popularity declined during his days at the top while it did the opposite when those other guys were the top dogs. I wouldn't put that all on Cena but he didn't help the situation.

I do agree with your last paragraph and that causes him to get more hate than he deserves but nonetheless I still can't view him as anything more than a mediocre talent who Vince had a hard on for.
The hokey promos with the kiddie jokes became painful to listen to, but when he would get serious he was excellent. I think the problem was that he was asked to be the hokey jokester WAY MORE than he was asked to be serious

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Never the best in the ring, but his ability to read a crowd and pace a match to get the desired reaction, at the right time, second to none. He knows exactly when to push it, exactly when to let the heel get momentum, exactly when to put the rests and the higher spots in. Maybe his athleticism was never the greatest, but I think he gets the most out of more matches than almost anybody else. I think it also helps that in terms of building hype before the match starts he's the best to do it.

Hated what his character became, but massive respect for his contributions. It was awesome to see him briskly scamper down that Wrestlemania ramp lol, and get a few moves in. His Raw appearance was equally fun.

The hokey promos with the kiddie jokes became painful to listen to, but when he would get serious he was excellent. I think the problem was that he was asked to be the hokey jokester WAY MORE than he was asked to be serious
Fair enough, he was definitely good at the pacing aspect of wrestling and he did have some great matches albeit generally with guys like AJ Styles and Sami who can put on great matches with anyone. I'll never consider Cena to be an all-time great on the level of Bret, Shawn, Macho, Flair, Angle, Jericho, Danielson or Punk amongst others but at the end of the day it's all subjective anyhow.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Fair enough, he was definitely good at the pacing aspect of wrestling and he did have some great matches albeit generally with guys like AJ Styles and Sami who can put on great matches with anyone. I'll never consider Cena to be an all-time great on the level of Bret, Shawn, Macho, Flair, Angle, Jericho, Danielson or Punk amongst others but at the end of the day it's all subjective anyhow.
As a total package, he's very much in that mix imo. Like you said, super subjective

Punk is real hit or miss and tends to be really sloppy. Always been that way too.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
1712782679572.png

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As somebody who has seen about a year of rapper Cena in a Smackdown rewatch, he was incredible early in his career on the mic when the company didn’t have him pander to children

In re: to the above screenshot….lmfao

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Suddenly have a bad idea thought:

Vegas: June 28/29 - NHL Draft
NYC: June 30-July 5 - Forbidden Door + vacation

There's a Smackdown on June 28 from Madison Square Garden, so I wonder if that would take a bite out of potential sales for Forbidden Door just two days later.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Suddenly have a bad idea thought:

Vegas: June 28/29 - NHL Draft
NYC: June 30-July 5 - Forbidden Door + vacation

There's a Smackdown on June 28 from Madison Square Garden, so I wonder if that would take a bite out of potential sales for Forbidden Door just two days later.

Oh you know that Smackdown card is going to be absolutely LOADED if Forbidden Door is 2 days after.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Giulia is now officially finished in Stardom

Also I hate the autofill

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
And this week's " Angry Old Man " award goes to Mark Henry. Believe it or not he's mad at Kairi Sane because she didn't get out of the ring at WrestleMania fast enough. :amazed:

from sescoops.com:

Dakota Kai has shared her support for her Damage CTRL ally Kairi Sane following criticism by WWE Hall of Famer & AEW correspondent Mark Henry.

At WWE WrestleMania 40, Kairi Sane, Dakota Kai, and Asuka lost to Bianca Belair, Naomi, and Jade Cargill. During the entrance for the faces, Sane remained in the ring a few seconds longer than Asuka and Kai.

On Busted Open Radio, Mark Henry shared that he was livid watching WrestleMania 40 when he saw Sane taking slightly too long to exit the ring for his liking. The World's Strongest Man even went as far as to say the Pirate Princess had shown a level of disrespect to the wrestling business.

"She should have got out the f*cking ring. I was so mad. You got to respect the business first. And she didn’t, but she would if I would have been in the ring.”

In a tweet, Dakota Kai didn't address Henry's comments directly but made it clear that she supports Sane who has a deep respect for the wrestling business. The former WWE NXT Women's Champion responded by she loves and respects Kai and was thankful for everything her Damage CTRL ally has done for her.

Ultimately, Sane would not have intended to have come across as disrespectful and it appears only Henry felt her actions at WrestleMania were out of line. In the comments, many supported Sane and some pointed out times that Henry has remained in the ring during the entrance of opponents.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And this week's " Angry Old Man " award goes to Mark Henry. Believe it or not he's mad at Kairi Sane because she didn't get out of the ring at WrestleMania fast enough. :amazed:

from sescoops.com:

Dakota Kai has shared her support for her Damage CTRL ally Kairi Sane following criticism by WWE Hall of Famer & AEW correspondent Mark Henry.

At WWE WrestleMania 40, Kairi Sane, Dakota Kai, and Asuka lost to Bianca Belair, Naomi, and Jade Cargill. During the entrance for the faces, Sane remained in the ring a few seconds longer than Asuka and Kai.

On Busted Open Radio, Mark Henry shared that he was livid watching WrestleMania 40 when he saw Sane taking slightly too long to exit the ring for his liking. The World's Strongest Man even went as far as to say the Pirate Princess had shown a level of disrespect to the wrestling business.

"She should have got out the f*cking ring. I was so mad. You got to respect the business first. And she didn’t, but she would if I would have been in the ring.”

In a tweet, Dakota Kai didn't address Henry's comments directly but made it clear that she supports Sane who has a deep respect for the wrestling business. The former WWE NXT Women's Champion responded by she loves and respects Kai and was thankful for everything her Damage CTRL ally has done for her.

Ultimately, Sane would not have intended to have come across as disrespectful and it appears only Henry felt her actions at WrestleMania were out of line. In the comments, many supported Sane and some pointed out times that Henry has remained in the ring during the entrance of opponents.

Yeah this was covered like a week ago already. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad