All-Purpose News Thread Part II

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't see why Cena would face Cody? Would Cody be a heel at that point? Because Cena has GOAT status with fans at this point, he doesn't get booed anymore.

Cody has said in the past he wants to wrestle Cena before he retires. Could do an old guard va new guard. Cena chasing the title record (if its for the title) vs Cody trying to prove he can be the new face of the company. Cena retirement match maybe

I'd go Rhea vs Jade.

Also, if Cena doesn't return until after December (which I hate bringing back old wrestlers for one-offs), I'd rather it build to SummerSlam.
They most likely want Jade vs Charlotte as that was the rumored Mania match before Charlotte got hurt

Reactions: dahrougem2

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Cody has said in the past he wants to wrestle Cena before he retires. Could do an old guard va new guard. Cena chasing the title record (if its for the title) vs Cody trying to prove he can be the new face of the company. Cena retirement match maybe

They most likely want Jade vs Charlotte as that was the rumored Mania match before Charlotte got hurt
Jade v Bianca seems like a logical Summerslam program. If Jade ever learns to work a match. She looked super robotic her entire WM appearance. Even just walking to the ring was really robotic, like she had somebody in an ear piece giving her cues to take every step

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You also just do Cena vs. Cody because you can. Why would there need to be a reason? Wouldn’t Cena be going for the all time record of title reigns? Might be difficult to convince people that it would happen, but HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA. Insert that at the top, hand them mics, spend more time making the rest of the card even better.

Reactions: PBandJ

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If Cena has one more good run left in him, say for a year or so, even just Summerslam to Wrestlemania, there's a lot they can do there. Punk, Cody, Seth all make a lot of sense and would be very easy builds. Cody probably works best in this spot, especially since Punk v Seth to headline next Wrestlemania probably has to happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t see them revisiting Punk vs. Cena. Whatever time Cena has left should not be put on revisiting the past.

Reactions: Jussi

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t see them revisiting Punk vs. Cena. Whatever time Cena has left should not be put on revisiting the past.

If the Saudi's want Punk vs. Cena, my guess is they will pony up and get Punk vs. Cena.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Saudi's want Punk vs. Cena, my guess is they will pony up and get Punk vs. Cena.
I'm not sure they could get either. Punk would be selling off a lot of his moral credibility if he did that. Of course, some people think he doesn't have any, but that's not what he thinks. I don't know that they can get Cena either with his schedule. He was only able to do the last one because of the strike.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure they could get either. Punk would be selling off a lot of his moral credibility if he did that. Of course, some people think he doesn't have any, but that's not what he thinks. I don't know that they can get Cena either with his schedule. He was only able to do the last one because of the strike.

Cena's schedule if the biggest hurdle. I have no idea about Punk.

Probably just as well. I'm not sure how good the match would be considering Cena would be trying to fix his hair to cover that bald spot every two seconds.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cena's schedule if the biggest hurdle. I have no idea about Punk.

Probably just as well. I'm not sure how good the match would be considering Cena would be trying to fix his hair to cover that bald spot every two seconds.
I was told in the chat of the previously mentioned Harloff's show that Cena mentioned later on McAfee's show that Peacemaker season 2 filming should be done by December/end of the year. So after that, provided he doesn't have another project, he could be available.

Reactions: BruinDust

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I can't believe any fans actually want Cena back. He's the reason a lot of people my age quit watching wrestling 15 years ago.
Not just Cena...I have zero interest seeing these one-off returns from old wrestlers. I'd rather a promising, young NXT guy get elevated with a great storyline like Ilja or Trick than Cena return, or Goldberg return, or Taker or whoever....again.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Not just Cena...I have zero interest seeing these one-off returns from old wrestlers. I'd rather a promising, young NXT guy get elevated with a great storyline like Ilja or Trick than Cena return, or Goldberg return, or Taker or whoever....again.
I definitely agree with that. Even the ones like Taker and Angle that I was a big fan of aren't guys I wanna see now for the most part. Same reason I'd like AEW to move Jericho to the broadcast booth full-time and wasn't excited that they signed Edge. I was a huge RVD fan back in the day but I don't really want them to bring him in for more matches either.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The way he was booked is what turned you away.

Cena is a great performer when used right. Which, as a nostalgia act, he has been.
The booking was definitely the worst part but I certainly don't think Cena has ever been great. He's had some great matches but I'd only consider his in ring work to be solid. He has charisma but his delivery and corniness make it hard for me to listen to him. Obviously, that's just my opinion and maybe it would be different if he had been booked differently or wasn't the clean cut all American babyface.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Cena is obviously one of the all time greats. He was no ring general by any means but neither were guys like Austin and Rock. He also showed he was capable of having great matches.

Believe me I couldn't stand the guy when he was shoved down our throats especially as "marine Cena" but IMO ever since the guy became a meme on social media with the whole "we can't see him" joke plus his always great promo ability he's been accepted a lot more.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
No issue with how Cena has been used the last few years. He's putting guys over and still draws.

Cena/Rhodes for the belt next Wrestlemania just makes too much sense. Cena breaking the title reign frequency would obviously be the biggest story.

Reactions: CDJ

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Dave seems convinced that Rock/Cody will end up being their Mania plan.

They obviously want to do that match and schedule wise it does seem like the only places it can happen is the Rumble or Mania

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dave seems convinced that Rock/Cody will end up being their Mania plan.

They obviously want to do that match and schedule wise it does seem like the only places it can happen is the Rumble or Mania
All depends on Dwayne’s schedule and if he thinks he can go another two years I guess.

Kinda feels like that Seth match needs to happen too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All depends on Dwayne’s schedule and if he thinks he can go another two years I guess.

Kinda feels like that Seth match needs to happen too.

They really fell into a pile of money with this build as long as Rock can find time in his schedule and doesn't break down.

You got enough runway for a 3rd Roman/Cody match. Cody/Rock. Seth/Rock. Set up for another Seth/Roman feud and obviously eventually Rock/Roman.

Reactions: TD Charlie

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Cena is obviously one of the all time greats. He was no ring general by any means but neither were guys like Austin and Rock. He also showed he was capable of having great matches.

Believe me I couldn't stand the guy when he was shoved down our throats especially as "marine Cena" but IMO ever since the guy became a meme on social media with the whole "we can't see him" joke plus his always great promo ability he's been accepted a lot more.
He's obviously one of the biggest names in wrestling history but he's nowhere near one of the all time greats in my books. He's a mediocre talent at best. Like @JackSlater said a year or two ago it's like some fans have Stockholm syndrome when it comes to Cena. They watch the guy so much that they've actually convinced themselves he's good.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's obviously one of the biggest names in wrestling history but he's nowhere near one of the all time greats in my books. He's a mediocre talent at best. Like @JackSlater said a year or two ago it's like some fans have Stockholm syndrome when it comes to Cena. They watch the guy so much that they've actually convinced themselves he's good.
I mean people consider guys like Hogan, Rock, Austin, etc some of the all time greats. What is different about them compared to Cena?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I mean people consider guys like Hogan, Rock, Austin, etc some of the all time greats. What is different about them compared to Cena?
Well, it depends what you mean by all time great. All those guys are absolute legends but wrestling is a thing where the most talented guys aren't necessarily the biggest stars. I would call The Rock and Austin all-time greats partly because they're two of the best ever on the mic(a lot better than Cena) and they made wrestling more popular which Cena certainly did not do. Austin was also excellent in the ring prior to f***ing his knees up and even then he generally put on better matches than Cena has. Cena is better than Hogan in every way possible but Hogan made wrestling a lot more popular. Those two are legends but not all time great wrestlers to me.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, it depends what you mean by all time great. All those guys are absolute legends but wrestling is a thing where the most talented guys aren't necessarily the biggest stars. I would call The Rock and Austin all-time greats partly because they're two of the best ever on the mic(a lot better than Cena) and they made wrestling more popular which Cena certainly did not do. Austin was also excellent in the ring prior to f***ing his knees up and even then he generally put on better matches than Cena has. Cena is better than Hogan in every way possible but Hogan made wrestling a lot more popular. Those two are legends but not all time great wrestlers to me.
I would strongly disagree that they are a lot better on the mic than Cena. The guy has always been able to talk and cut great promos. In ring ability obviously very mediocre but most legends are mediocre.

I also disagree about Cena not making wrestling more popular. The guy's merchandise sales and international marketability relative to his longevity is unreal. Look at how many young kids grew up die hard Cena fans, akin to the young Hulkamaniacs of the 80s.

I think a lot of people dislike Cena because of how management shoved him down our throats for years on end without caring about any other wrestler. That taints the image of him imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad