OT: All purpose NCAA thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This Oklahoma line can't keep up in pass pro. Who could have seen that coming?

Bobby Evans is completely lost. Also a shock. I love this rep.

Reactions: Asnito

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Four best teams...

As long as we don't have too many teams from one conference and we can milk the ratings. I would have rather watched UCF get a shot than watch ND's slow athletes get run off the the field. OU without Murray is not even a top 15 team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only interesting angle on this whole night to me is whether Lincoln Riley should take an NFL job. His stock is never getting higher and the right org can provide him with a Schwartz equivalent.

He could always come back & land a big college job if things don’t work out. Unlike Chip he’s actually a pretty good recruiter.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Four best teams...

As long as we don't have too many teams from one conference and we can milk the ratings. I would have rather watched UCF get a shot than watch ND's slow athletes get run off the the field. OU without Murray is not even a top 15 team.
I wish UCF got a chance. So they could be down 35 after the first qaurter and we'd never have to f***ing hear from them again

Lol 28-0 17 minutes into the game.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I wish UCF got a chance. So they could be down 35 after the first qaurter and we'd never have to ****ing hear from them again

Lol 28-0 17 minutes into the game.
Perhaps, but at least there would have been intrigue. Stop me if you're shocked by this outcome. You only have to take one look at our own pick em' pool to see how much people though these two games would end in a blow out.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
This Oklahoma line can't keep up in pass pro. Who could have seen that coming?

Bobby Evans is completely lost. Also a shock. I love this rep.

They actually won the Joe Moore award for best offensive line

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Josh Jacobs absolutely trucked that safety

Sheesh knocked the guy out of the game:eek:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I see they made it somewhat respectable. Literally watched 2 minutes of that game
Respectable on paper. Bama got bored and started playing unhinged. They kept OK in the game, but when OK started to threaten, Bama just turned the switch back on to keep the distance. The spread may have been between 18 & 11 points for a majority of the game, but it didn't have to be.

Prime examples of Bama just going through the motions, the personal foul on a touchback kickoff, the lineman not finishing the play and taking his helmet off during the not-sack unsportsmanlike penalty. Saban made a plea earlier in the year to the media not to salivate and slob too hard over the team. His biggest competition is complacency. Maybe Clemson does something on the field, but OK was glorified window dressing justifying the players swag bags and vaca to NOLA.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I agree and that's why I'd like to see the playoffs expanded to 8 teams with the 5 conference champions getting an automatic bid plus 3 at large.

As ridiculous as it would be you would've had Northwestern and Pitt fans engaged until the end of the season. Heck the only way some teams will ever make the playoffs is if they go on a run and win the Conference. Plus IMO a conference championship should matter.

As far as Bama goes I really can't see the committee putting a 12-1 Oklahoma in over a 12-1 Bama. I think win or lose Bama was in unless they got smoked.

The great thing about college football is every week is a must win. 2 losses and a team is essentially out of the national championship hunt. I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the 4 team format. The format as it stands now needs some tweaking of selecting the teams. For example, SOS should be weighed more when selecting teams, like college basketball does. Go to an 8 team playoff and you run the risk of a 3 or 4 loss team getting in due to conference auto bids, thus diluting it. No matter what kind of system college football has in place, there will always be complaints.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The problem with the 4 team format is there is no standard for which 4 teams make it. Some years SOS matters, some years it doesn't. Sometimes you need to win your conference, others you don't. The only consistent things in the playoffs are Bama and a two loss cut-off. If one can't begin the year with an idea of how to make the playoffs besides being Bama, then it's a sham.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Four teams seem to be enough. Who was snubbed this year? Georgia? Alabama took them down in the SEC championship. OSU? Lost to a lousy Purdue team and had other lackluster games where they could easily have lost. Why add more teams to the PO? So that they can be embarrassed like ND was last night? Alabama toyed with Oklahoma. When the game got a wee bit close, the Tide flipped the switch and scored at will. Clemson and Alabama are just heads and shoulders above the rest. Most people knew that back in August.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
The great thing about college football is every week is a must win. 2 losses and a team is essentially out of the national championship hunt. I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the 4 team format. The format as it stands now needs some tweaking of selecting the teams. For example, SOS should be weighed more when selecting teams, like college basketball does. Go to an 8 team playoff and you run the risk of a 3 or 4 loss team getting in due to conference auto bids, thus diluting it. No matter what kind of system college football has in place, there will always be complaints.
There's arguments for both sides but the one thing that is almost impossible in college football is strength of schedule. Too much of the strength of schedule is assumptions as you don't have anywhere near the overlap that BB has.

A good example of a flaw of strength of schedule is Arizona. Even when they were a .500 team a night game in Tucson can be a very tough game as they a run of like 4-5 years where they beat a top 15 team but teams going there get no credit for it.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Just respectable enough to give my buddy who went to Oklahoma an L on his OU Moneyline bet and me an L on my Bama -12.5.

Was a thing of beauty to watch.

Also, the O/U closed at 80/80.5, final score 79.
I was thinking about the people who laid money on Bama and see them get up 28-0 only to piss it away.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad