OT: All purpose NCAA thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've got antique furniture much younger than Mack Brown
weird hire

Probably seeing what Herm Edwards did at Arizona State this year & trying to copy that. Granted there was such a low bar set for Herm that it makes the job he did this year look a lot greater than it actually was.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
North Carolina bringing back Mack would be the equivalent of the Flyers rehiring Mike Keenan. While UNC did have a nice run under Mack in the 90's, he never won an ACC title there. I do not see this working out the second time unless Mack has the found the energy to recruit again, which I doubt. Mack doesn't have the luxury of having talent right in his backyard like he did at Texas.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The new NCAA basketball NET rankings, the one replacing RPI, came out today and the ranking is rather humorous, to say the least...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gus was a moron for not just taking the Arkansas job last year. It’s your home state/school. All you have to do is remain bowl eligible & have some years where you can get into the 8-10 win range every once in awhile & you’re golden.

Instead you’re at Auburn where you’re compared to Saban & Alabama & these people are always putting you on the chopping block any chance they get.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Thinking about Stoops makes me wonder why Brent Venables hasn't ever been offered a head coaching gig. He's one of the premier defensive coordinators in the country with 2 national titles to his credit at OU and Clemson. Seems like he has been linked to several head coaching openings over the last decade. Does he have a checkered past?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Thinking about Stoops makes me wonder why Brent Venables hasn't ever been offered a head coaching gig. He's one of the premier defensive coordinators in the country with 2 national titles to his credit at OU and Clemson. Seems like he has been linked to several head coaching openings over the last decade. Does he have a checkered past?

He just hasn’t had the desire to this point. He’s been one of the those guys that just is happy with being a coordinator. He’s been one of the highest paid coordinators/assistants in the country since he’s been in at Clemson so he hasn’t been leaving too much money on the table when it comes to the mid level P5 jobs he’s often linked too.

The defense there is his baby too. Dabo is a CEO type & not one of those real control freak types.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rashan Gary declared for the draft. He was basically like the DL version of Jabrill Peppers there. A lot of hype based off physical gifts & recruiting rankings but never showed enough on the field.

Reactions: renberg

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He's never wanted to leave and as LOD said, he gets to run the entire defensive show at Clemson. He's getting paid like a low end head coach already.

He probably will leave at some point, but it's a massive jump to go from a DC (even at a power school like Clemson) to a HC gig. It would have to be for the perfect job a la Kirby Smart leaving Saban's side to take the Georgia job.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Rashan Gary declared for the draft. He was basically like the DL version of Jabrill Peppers there. A lot of hype based off physical gifts & recruiting rankings but never showed enough on the field.
Couldn't stay healthy either. He's going to be a first round pick based on the tools, but Dom Brown got basically nothing out of him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It sounds like Mike Locksley to Maryland is inevitable at this point.

Pretty good recruiter & big ties to Maryland & the Maryland area but he’s been pretty bad as a HC before. But now he’s got the Saban disciple shine to him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As a PSU fan, Mike Locksley to UMD does not scare me in the slightest. Good for him, UMD will still be bad.

If it was the Paterno days where Larry Johnson recruiting the DMV was really the only thing keeping things somewhat afloat I’d care more.

Locksley will make it more of a fight for the DMV & maybe snag a few kids from the big boys in recruiting. But he still has to find ways to beat Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, & Michigan State enough every year. That will ultimately be his demise there unless divisions are changed any time soon.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Totally, it's not him vs. just PSU. It's him/UMD vs. the rest of the college football world. UMD is likely never going to break that invisible ceiling that lets them accumilate enough talent in order to string a reasonable number of seasons together that talent will attract talent. He might be better than the Canada/(Durkin) combo is/(was), but that was a supposedly winning ticket that was going nowhere fast. If UMD reaches a Purdue/Minny/NW level of success, 7-5 is likely their best bet. On paper, they are scheduled to lose 4 games a year minimum, maybe they win one on merit & one by fluke vs. PSU/OSU/UM/MSU.

Short of an all-star hire, like Scott Satterfield (App St.) or Ken Niumatalolo (Navy - going the GT f*** your playbook, everyone has to dedicate time to learn the triple option defense), they will just be a passing flavor as far as those ugly uniforms and Under Armor money will take them.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad