OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
you legitimately have no idea what you are talking about in regards to this , yet you feel the need to pursue this further.

I suggest you do research on Gilman football.
Says the guy that's done nothing to refute the point. I know Gilman's history. It's not the same program today.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You linked an article from 2015. The long time coach Biff Poggi left there by then. He took a job with Michigan but moved his guys over to Saint Francis Academy. He’s back now & running the show there.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You linked an article from 2015. The long time coach Biff Poggi left there by then. He took a job with Michigan but moved his guys over to Saint Francis Academy. He’s back now & running the show there.

that program is more than bill poggi.
1940, 1941, 1966, 1967, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1976 (split), 1986 (split), 1987 (split), 1990 (split),1994 (split), 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 (split), 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 (Split), 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 (split), 2015
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

those are gilman's state championships. biff won 13 they have won 12 without him. They will continue to win for someone who has some knowledge of the Miaa , how would you rank it as a conference.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
that program is more than bill poggi.
1940, 1941, 1966, 1967, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1976 (split), 1986 (split), 1987 (split), 1990 (split),1994 (split), 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 (split), 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 (Split), 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 (split), 2015
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

those are gilman's state championships. biff won 13 they have won 12 without him. They will continue to win for someone who has some knowledge of the Miaa , how would you rank it as a conference.

I’m not speaking to any of that but there’s been a drop so far since Biff & his guys left for Saint Francis. They went 5-8 (3-3 in their league play) last year & 2-9 (1-5 in league play) the last two years. In recent years it’s been Saint Francis & Dematha Catholic that’s been producing the higher end talent in the state.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
After they let Shea Patterson transfer without sitting out a year, the NCAA was gonna look mighty foolish trying to implement that rule on anyone else. So that's good, and not a surprise.

The redshirt thing is huge, and am very happy about it. Allows cfb to actually be developmental and less cut-throaty regarding roster management. While the coaches wanted it, I'm surprised the powers-to-be used common sense to get something done.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think Patterson & the kids from Ole Miss (he wasn’t the only one allowed to transfer without restrictions/penalties) factored into it really. Coaches were starting to get personal with who they were blocking the kid from going it. It wasn’t just a few teams in your conference that you’re competing with. Coaches were now blocking kids from schools that they knew the kid wanted to go out of spite.

Bill Snyder got blasted last year because he had a kid that was seeking transfer & he blocked the kid from like 40 some schools.

In reality most transfers happen because a kid isn’t good enough to play at their schools. So they’re really not that valued to the big schools especially since they can’t play right away & they could tie up a scholarship for multiple years just to be a depth player.

The NCAA will hold out as long as they can but I think we’re ultimately trending towards an Olympic model pay system for the players. Every year they’re giving more & more control to the player. Not that they’re doing it at the kindness of their heart but rather they’re losing PR battle.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't doubt any of what you're saying. But the NCAA is a gutless organization that preys on folks unwillingness to fight the machine. Patterson fought, and fought hard, in a public spat with a deep-pocketed, highly-invested school.

If the NCAA caved in that situation, they'd have no standing to uphold any other similar situation (the seniors got a free pass, not the underclassmen). So they lost that small battle, and ended up conceding the war before any other skirmish could be fought.

Fully agree with the last paragraph. The South Park episode about collegiate athletes is so apropos.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't doubt any of what you're saying. But the NCAA is a gutless organization that preys on folks unwillingness to fight the machine. Patterson fought, and fought hard, in a public spat with a deep-pocketed, highly-invested school.

If the NCAA caved in that situation, they'd have no standing to uphold any other similar situation (the seniors got a free pass, not the underclassmen). So they lost that small battle, and ended up conceding the war before any other skirmish could be fought.

Fully agree with the last paragraph. The South Park episode about collegiate athletes is so apropos.

I hear you I just think it had way more to do with coaches abusing their powers on restrictions. The amount of schools & the excuses for doing so just kept expanding as we went on. It got to a point where some coaches were clearly being spiteful to the player with their restrictions.

It was just bad PR for the NCAA & something they could easily get rid of to avoid it again. The Ole Miss situation was something they could save some face with as an isolated thing.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So even though we agree, we will fight to the death to see who shall submit to whom about being ultimately correct, yes?

And the coaches abusing power amongst themselves isn't a reason the NCAA would get involved. The NCAA works for the schools, and the schools are bitching among themselves about this that and the other. The NCAA isn't going to step in and settle a score for one school over another. I stand by the fact the NCAA didn't have the guts, because of PR (point to you), to restrict this kid. Had he been a worse player, the new school and Patterson probably don't make a stink. But because that coach is desperate, he stepped out of line with other coaches and raised a ruckus. The NCAA, not wanting to get caught in the middle, although the old school did file a contest, just abdicated the decision.

But yeah, it's a positive move, regardless of the NCAA's motivation. I hope Patterson under performs at his new school as the fan of an opposing team, but this is a step in the right direction for college athletics.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lol I follow a kid on twitter that I went to high school with who’s a Florida fan. All the dude did was complain about McElwain’s recruiting.
Florida football has killed my interest in college football beyond November the last 5 years. I hate it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Lol I follow a kid on twitter that I went to high school with who’s a Florida fan. All the dude did was complain about McElwain’s recruiting.
To make it worse, McElwain was probably putting together his best recruiting class for the 2019 cycle before everything came apart. The decommit list is a hell of a lot more talented than Mullen's current commitment list.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
4 star OT, Xavier Truss, committed to UGA today. Most thought he was PSU bound. Big guy, but there are concerns over foot speed. He will probably sit for 2-3 years before getting a legitimate shot.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
4 star OT, Xavier Truss, committed to UGA today. Most thought he was PSU bound. Big guy, but there are concerns over foot speed. He will probably sit for 2-3 years before getting a legitimate shot.

Kind of random. He’s got a high ranking now but I think it will come down some as we move on. There seems to be a lot of risk with OT’s who are pushing that 330-340 lbs. range out of high school.

I think Penn State was only taking one true OT this cycle as they took three last cycle with one interior lineman. So that makes it a little easier to swallow.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Kind of random. He’s got a high ranking now but I think it will come down some as we move on. There seems to be a lot of risk with OT’s who are pushing that 330-340 lbs. range out of high school.

I think Penn State was only taking one true OT this cycle as they took three last cycle with one interior lineman. So that makes it a little easier to swallow.
Yeah, he's going to have to spend a year or two reshaping his body, not unlike Isaiah Wilson, or even Cade Mays from the 18 cycle.

UGA is probably going to take three tackles this cycle, so a project doesn't hurt. Their starters are both there at least two more years. Thomas might end up as a top five pick in two years and Sam Pittman might be the best OL coach in college football.

Edit: That ranking is definitely going down. He hasn't camped well from what I've read.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, he's going to have to spend a year or two reshaping his body, not unlike Isaiah Wilson, or even Cade Mays from the 18 cycle.

UGA is probably going to take three tackles this cycle, so a project doesn't hurt. Their starters are both there at least two more years. Thomas might end up as a top five pick in two years and Sam Pittman might be the best OL coach in college football.

Edit: That ranking is definitely going down. He hasn't camped well from what I've read.

Penn State finally built up OL depth so that they don’t have to default a first or second year player into a starting role this year & next year. Guys like Connor McGovern, Ryan Bates, & Will Fries pretty much got thrown into the fire these past two seasons as first & second year players. Michal Menet is going to be their only new starter this year but he’s a third year player & big time recruit out of 2016.

So kids from last class & this class will have time to develop if needed.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Some crappy news out of Penn State

A piece of unfortunate personal news hit in the world of Penn State football on Wednesday night as true freshman and four-star recruit Nana Asiedu took to Twitter, letting Penn State fans know about a heart condition that will force the him to end his career early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad