OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
no need to try to add a silly trophy or something to make this game a "rivalry"
rutgers needs to beat them a few years in a row
then you'll have a rivalry

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The overall series is 23-2 in Penn State's favor with Rutgers last win being in 1988 (the other being in 1918). The older crowd has never seen Rutgers as a threat.

Last year's game was the first time the two teams played since 1995 so the younger crowd really doesn't have much experience of seeing the two the teams play to develop an opinion.

A rivalry needs to be a two sided affair & the teams actually have to be worth a damn (neither program is at this stage).

Oh I agree. I don't think it is a "real" rivalry at this point, but I think it could be. Penn State's glory days are long gone and Rutgers has never had a glory days. Now that the team is in the Big Ten I think a rivalry can easily grow, it is just a matter of time. Rutgers already hates PSU, and after Rutgers takes it to PSU a couple times, I'm sure the hate will flow. Adding a trophy will "instigate" a rivalry too, I think.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Nobody gives a **** about rivalry trophies in today's college football. I honestly couldn't even tell any of them out there & I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Well no one cares except the teams involved. I am not trying to spark national intrigue to this would-be rivalry. If there was a trophy between your alma mater and a rival, I guarantee you that you would be interested.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well no one cares except the teams involved. I am not trying to spark national intrigue to this would-be rivalry. If there was a trophy between your alma mater and a rival, I guarantee you that you would be interested.

I seriously doubt the players even care about a trophy, they just want to win the game.

The best rivalries in college sports don't play for trophies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The rivalry is what makes the trophy important, not the other way around.

Obviously, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a trophy involved, and would add intrigue to the yearly game.

I seriously doubt the players even care about a trophy, they just want to win the game.

The best rivalries in college sports don't play for trophies.

What are the best rivalries in college football? Michigan-Ohio State is probably the biggest rivalry out there and they don't play for a trophy, but other than that most of the bigger rivalries do play for trophies (Bama-Auburn, Stanford-Cal, Army-Navy, Michigan-Michigan State, Oregon-Oregon State, Notre Dame-USC, etc.).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What are the best rivalries in college football? Michigan-Ohio State is probably the biggest rivalry out there and they don't play for a trophy, but other than that most of the bigger rivalries do play for trophies (Bama-Auburn, Stanford-Cal, Army-Navy, Michigan-Michigan State, Oregon-Oregon State, Notre Dame-USC, etc.).

Well I was thinking of these two when I said it. Alabama & Auburn don't play for a trophy it's just called the Iron Bowl. The point is the game itself is way bigger than some trophy.

Army & Navy is about the only game where they actually make a deal out of the trophy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well I was thinking of these two when I said it. Alabama & Auburn don't play for a trophy it's just called the Iron Bowl. The point is the game itself is way bigger than some trophy.

Army & Navy is about the only game where they actually make a deal out of the trophy.

There's no trophy for the Iron Bowl? I always thought there was. Oh well. Either way, I'm all for adding it. You may not be into it, but it certainly would do more for the game than it would to take away for it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
There's no trophy for the Iron Bowl? I always thought there was. Oh well. Either way, I'm all for adding it. You may not be into it, but it certainly would do more for the game than it would to take away for it.

what type of trophy do you suggest for the Penn State/Rutgers rivalry?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
what type of trophy do you suggest for the Penn State/Rutgers rivalry?

No idea. I'm sure there is some historical significance between the two schools. They are both Land Grant colleges, could something with that. They were calling it the "Border War" last year, not sure what type of trophy you could do with that.

Also there is an Iron Bowl Trophy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Foy,_V-ODK_Sportsmanship_Trophy

large_Iron%20Bowl%202%20ALcom.JPG

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Perhaps that was a bit strong, but they are underrated year in and year out. Since 2005 they've won at least 8 games all but three times. 7 wins in 2005, 4 wins in 2008, and 6 wins in 2013 (as opposed to a team like Temple that has more .500 or below seasons than winning seasons in that time). I'm not saying they should be in the top 25 at this point or anything like that, but they should not be chosen to finish dead last in the Big Ten. That being said, with their recent issues kicking half their starting defense off the team, the outlook is not quite as good as it was two weeks ago. I still think they win seven games, give or take a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad