OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Franklin was one of the better coaches on the market at that time. It had nothing to do with sanctions, it just wasn't a really good pool of coaches available (Charlie Strong was one of the other headliners).

He's not getting fired this year. The team isn't supposed to be good this year & that was expected. Now next year might be a different story.

I told my cousin back in May of last year that this was a terrible hire. He didnt want to hear it. After the first two series, the team didnt adjust. They had 9 months to prepare for this and they got destroyed. He is a terrible coach, the only good that can come out of this is like what happened at Florida with Zook. Get a few elite classes and than bring someone in that can coach (maybe Rhule).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I told my cousin back in May of last year that this was a terrible hire. He didnt want to hear it. After the first two series, the team didnt adjust. They had 9 months to prepare for this and they got destroyed. He is a terrible coach, the only good that can come out of this is like what happened at Florida with Zook. Get a few elite classes and than bring someone in that can coach (maybe Rhule).

He'll need to bring in a better O-Coordinator if he wants a chance at staying there for long. The offense is just way too vanilla & way too predictable.

Franklin will get some leash though given the roster he was handed (limited numbers & very inexperienced due to the sanctions). They lost their starting MLB in this game for the year so they're now gonna be playing a 210 lbs. freshmen linebacker who's not only undersized right now but raw at the position given he played all over the place with his high school since he was the best athlete on the field every game. So they're still having issues with their depth.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One of our 3 starting LBers against Penn State is 5'10 200.

Marshall? He's a four year player & not a true freshmen if so.

I don't know if you're thinking I'm making an excuse in regards to Saturday's game but that wasn't my intention. I don't think Franklin's a good coach but they're not going to make a decision on his future this early based on the personnel he inheirted. By bringing up that example of the freshmen was to prove that the roster is still another year away regardless of who's the coach is.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Rutgers is only -2? I smell a trap.

Their defensive backs are highly suspect against a team that throws the ball every down. Rutgers is also starting a QB in his first career start (Laviano looks good, but his experience is limited only to mop-up duty). It will be a shootout. It was 41-38 last year and I expect those numbers to higher this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm the biggest Rutgers gan on these boards and I am very worried, but at -2 I can't say no my alma mater.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Whoa I didn't even realize Wazu lost to Portland State last week. I am much more confident at this point.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
"Revenge game"

Washington St. on the wrong side of the biggest upset of last week.

Rutgers could be looking ahead to Penn State.

I would stay away from that if you don't want to bet against them. :laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
"Revenge game"

Washington St. on the wrong side of the biggest upset of last week.

Rutgers could be looking ahead to Penn State.

I would stay away from that if you don't want to bet against them. :laugh:

Normally I would agree with this, except that Wazu isn't a very good team to begin with, and they are traveling across the country for this game. Rutgers has a pretty big chip on its shoulder as well constantly being chosen to finish last despite beating a lot of the teams chosen to finish ahead of them, the turmoil surrounding their idiot players and coach, etc.

As for looking ahead to Penn State, I don't think that's a problem but it certainly could be seen as a distraction.

My rule of thumb when it comes to gambling is never bet on teams that you would consider yourself a fan of.

I typically don't bet on Rutgers games, but a crappy Wazu team traveling across the country and the home team only laying 2 points, I'll take my chances on that with any team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Normally I would agree with this, except that Wazu isn't a very good team to begin with, and they are traveling across the country for this game.

And you don't think Vegas knows this? :laugh:

One thing I learned, if it looks too good, it probably is.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
And you don't think Vegas knows this? :laugh:

One thing I learned, if it looks too good, it probably is.

Rutgers is criminally underrated. I don't think they are going to challenge in any way for the Big Ten East, but many people have them pegged to finish behind Indiana and dead last in the Big Ten (like last year when they won 8 games).

They have three very talented RBs, arguably the best WR in the Big Ten (and one of the best in the country), a defensive line that can put pressure on the QB, special teams unit with a nose for blocked kicks and return TDs, and linebackers that can get the job done. Their big question marks are QB and DB. I don't view QB as a question mark but I get why some do. Their DBs suck...no doubt. Inexperienced and just not that good. But the rest of their team is solid. Wazu is a worse team than last year and Rutgers went across the country and beat them. I think Rutgers is as good as last year if not better at every position other than DB. Their DBs suck but they also sucked last year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It may be premature, as I don't think there is a real rivalry at this point (Rutgers hates Penn State, but I don't think Penn State takes Rutgers seriously...which is funny given the lack of success Penn State has had in recent years), but I'd like to see Rutgers vs. Penn State become a rivalry game with some sort of trophy.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It may be premature, as I don't think there is a real rivalry at this point (Rutgers hates Penn State, but I don't think Penn State takes Rutgers seriously...which is funny given the lack of success Penn State has had in recent years), but I'd like to see Rutgers vs. Penn State become a rivalry game with some sort of trophy.

Most Penn States don't realize how mediocre the program has been since the late 90's or how much better Rutgers has become in that time. I don't think there will ever be a rivalry though. Much like PSU fans want to think of Ohio State as a rival and OSU couldn't care less, I think Rutgers will always kind of be like that to the majority of Penn Staters.

Rutgers should actually set their sights higher than a down Penn State team for the next view years. A defeat of Ohio State and or Michigan State would do wonders for the program, allowing it to keep more the top Jersey prospects instate.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Most Penn States don't realize how mediocre the program has been since the late 90's or how much better Rutgers has become in that time. I don't think there will ever be a rivalry though. Much like PSU fans want to think of Ohio State as a rival and OSU couldn't care less, I think Rutgers will always kind of be like that to the majority of Penn Staters.

Rutgers should actually set their sights higher than a down Penn State team for the next view years. A defeat of Ohio State and or Michigan State would do wonders for the program, allowing it to keep more the top Jersey prospects instate.

A defeat of OSU or MSU is a long ways away (although, they did beat MSU back in 2004, I was at that game and have the pilon from field sitting on my desk as we speak). PSU would be a great rival because of the geography and the fact that we are presumably in a recruiting war with them at every turn. James Franklin said he considered NJ part of PA for recruiting purposes. ******** like that. Adding a trophy to the mix would create more intrigue and rivalry IMO.

I'll be there next Saturday. In what mental capacity? That remains to be seen.

I was planning on it but I'll be out of the country instead. I suppose I can't really complain but I will be unable to watch the game in any capacity in all likelihood.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The overall series is 23-2 in Penn State's favor with Rutgers last win being in 1988 (the other being in 1918). The older crowd has never seen Rutgers as a threat.

Last year's game was the first time the two teams played since 1995 so the younger crowd really doesn't have much experience of seeing the two the teams play to develop an opinion.

A rivalry needs to be a two sided affair & the teams actually have to be worth a damn (neither program is at this stage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->