All Purpose Mitch Marner Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner is a very good player.

The issue is the contract, and not only that, but the contract in the context of the other big forward contracts we have. I just don't see spending ~41M on four forwards while struggling to even put together ~20M for 7 defencemen to be a good use of capspace.

Yes it was clearly a horrible use of cap space but Dubas got run by his big 3. The solution of moving one of them seems like it might be something he won't do, and really, trading an overpaid Marner after an off year in a flat cap is like selling a mansion in the depression. He really needs another year to get his value back and the Covid has to resolve to the extent future cap growth can be predicted. Willie is a much more movable asset for value right now but I don't see Dubas doing that either.

IMO Willie could be traded without the club taking a bath this year but Marner would be a horrible mistake right now. There are very few teams that could eat that much cap and fewer that could give a reasonable return. They would be lucky to find one suitor that could and would give fair value right now. And Dubas might not be the guy to break this top 4 up so it might be a moot point.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner is a very good player.

The issue is the contract, and not only that, but the contract in the context of the other big forward contracts we have. I just don't see spending ~41M on four forwards while struggling to even put together ~20M for 7 defencemen to be a good use of capspace.

Tavares is the most over paid Leaf. His skating is declining each year as well which will make his contract worse. Tavares is not a 6.5 million upgrade on Kadri. Big mistake by Dubas.

Marner, imo maybe 10 guys in the NHL with his deception, vision , anticipation skills. Very smart player, needs to compete harder at times. The PP runs thru him, he is kind of the life line of the team and its emotion now, he Pk's, Marner is overall reliable. Nylander is a question mark every night despite what the stats say.

Reactions: RebuildYear5

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Forgot to mention Marner will beat John's highest Goal season in his career easily and that's not his strength.

John couldn't get 68 assist even if he played 82games on team Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Forgot to mention Marner will beat John's highest Goal season in his career easily and that's not his strength.

Plebs

I love Marner but there is almost* no chance this happens.

*and the only reason I put that qualifier on it is theoretically anything possible. Gauthier could theoretically hit 20 goals (but he never will)

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Why is everyone complaining about Marners contract when hes already beaten Tavares point totals in the 3rd year bahaha, not to mention his defense is on par with John and he still has 7years to build.

Oooo and John broke his point totals because of Mitch lol but yeah he sucksssss, Tavares is also on the decline where Marner is growing.
Marner broke many records lastyear that have been around for 100years.

This site has so many trolls, and you can tell people run multiple accounts to get everyone thinking the same way.
Its obvious because any die hard leaf fan that I kno would defend Marner with pure knowledge because they actually watch every game.

Toronto media is a joke!
Half these plebs come on here just to stir up bs for material.

LOL...you just joined last week and now calling everyone trolls...how pathetic. C'mon, tell us, which one is your main account?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Plebs

Yeah, sure...Marner has averaged about 21 to 22 goals per season so far in his NHL tenure...has a muffin of a shot...so all of a sudden he'll beat out Tavares' 47 goals in a season...Tavares has been one of the most prolific goal scorers since entering the league...you're so irresistibly smart and reasonable...:sarcasm:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I blame the early exit for some of the hate but I have no answer for some of the fanboy posts that spur on the haters. It is a vicious circle. The draft and FA frenzy can't come soon enough.

The good news is that in only a week we will have legit things to talk bout. As far as Mitch goes this is really a better topic for into the next season. He doesn't get worse or better when he isn't playing.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The good news is that in only a week we will have legit things to talk bout. As far as Mitch goes this is really a better topic for into the next season. He doesn't get worse or better when he isn't playing.
The hate can only grow worse until he hits the ice and does his thing to win back the fans he has lost.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Being part of a winning team makes a huge difference.

That doesn't eliminate the scrutiny, but can take the focus off the individual(s) who put the focus on themselves.
Your post has team in the first part and individual in the 2nd.

That’s the problem.

As individuals, I don’t have a problem with any personally, people will throw out stats all day long to explain their greatness. Skill isn’t in debate.

It’s as a collection Matthews/JT/Nylander/Marner/Rielly where I don’t think they have the right stuff (sum of the parts). Lack of diversity, playoff grind, intensity, 2-way, engaged, whatever etc. To date they haven’t shown they are more than what they seem.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Trade Marner to NYR for the #1OA pick and draft Alexis Lafreniere (LW).

$10.893 mil out and ELC @ $925k in for the next 3 years of a flat cap.

Alexis Lafreniere --- Matthews -- Hyman

Use the $10 mil recapture space to sign Dmen to build up the team.

Reilly -- Pietrangelo

Cap wise AP +AL = MM

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes but he still gets dressed everyday and fashion is a big issue with some.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Luck! What is that got to do with performance?
I am assuming the highest paid player in the NHL was trying his hardest.

You might be right.

Try to give more of a shit next year Mitch.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
To the poster from the last thread....

Marner: 300 Games, 291 Points, 83 Goals

Matthews: 282 Games, 285 Points, 158 Goals.

What are you talking about? Matthews is the better player.

Career high:

94 for mitch

80 for matthews

Most playoff points

21 for marner

19 for matthews

How many players have had career years playing with each?

Bozak, jvr, matthews and hyman have had their best seasons playing with marner.

Hyman has had his best season playing with matthews.

They are extremely close.

HappyJoy

Jun 17, 2019
Trade Marner to NYR for the #1OA pick and draft Alexis Lafreniere (LW).

$10.893 mil out and ELC @ $925k in for the next 3 years of a flat cap.

Alexis Lafreniere --- Matthews -- Hyman

Use the $10 mil recapture space to sign Dmen to build up the team.

Reilly -- Pietrangelo

Cap wise AP +AL = MM

How's the weather in the land of unicorns and chocolate fountains?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Marner has really become underrated in his own fanbase. Mostly his own fault because of the way he handled the contract stuff, but the guy is still an all situations 95-100pt winger. That’s an incredible player to have.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Your post has team in the first part and individual in the 2nd.

That’s the problem.

As individuals, I don’t have a problem with any personally, people will throw out stats all day long to explain their greatness. Skill isn’t in debate.

It’s as a collection Matthews/JT/Nylander/Marner/Rielly where I don’t think they have the right stuff (sum of the parts). Lack of diversity, playoff grind, intensity, 2-way, engaged, whatever etc. To date they haven’t shown they are more than what they seem.

This right mix has been a problem for so long that it's frustrating..... I'd like the Leafs to have an identity that goes over a long period of time, despite the guys behind the bench and on the ice. Look at Boston as a great example - go look at their numbers....always great at faceoffs, always a top GA team. I've been a fan my whole 47 years I've been alive, and I know it's not just my team that is like this, but it always seems the Leafs have a great this/that, but missing one part. Current team as assembled - great offence, very good goalie, terrible blueline, bad team defence philosophy. Early 90s - good offence, very solid D, average G (Potvin was good - not great). They have gone stretches with decent D, horrible offence, bad goaltending. Just once.....please get all things lined up......just once!!!! They still have the chance to do that with this team. - the window is still open wide.

Or they get a coach like Babcock, who was too old school for today's player - has a pretty good team that should have gone farther, but was too set it his ways, and then didn't play the grit part of his roster (Martin, Komarov).

It's like having this great toolbox, but never having the right screwdriver to go with the wrench you really need, then finally getting that wrench, but then having your straight edge go missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad