All Purpose Mitch Marner Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002

15 seconds on-line brought these reports up...
there was smoke but I guess we don't really know how big the fire was or if it was lit LOL
cheers

1) Friedman indicated that, in Marner’s case, term is what proved to be a big obstacle between Marner and the Blue Jackets.
“I think what happened was, if Columbus was going to do it, it had to be for seven years. And I think what I heard Marner was looking for, or his side was looking for, was less term than that,” Friedman said. “But I had multiple people telling me that they thought if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be Columbus.”

2) Speculation, speculation, speculation. That’s what we get this time of year.
From an $11.5-$12.5M offer sheet that was supposed to be on the way from Lou Lamoriello and the Islanders, or Marc Bergevin and the Canadiens, to the claims that Marner won’t settle for anything less than “Matthews money,” a lot of trash has been swirling but none of it has actually landed in the bin. Yet, anyways.
Thankfully, Elliotte Friedman and his 31 Thoughts podcast exist, and one of the real trustworthy insider voices in the industry gave us an update on the Marner-Leafs-offer sheet saga on Thursday, when he revealed that it was actually the Columbus Blue Jackets who have been spearheading the most aggressive effort to land the dynamic winger.

3) According to Sportsnet, Toronto Maple Leafs RFA Mitch Marner will be offered sheet today. Rumored the AVV on the offer sheet is $12,5 million dollars per year.
While there’s no word on which team is seriously considering offering sheet, it should worry Kyle Dubas nonetheless, the AVV of the offer sheet would seriously put Dubas in a difficult spot, Cap wise speaking.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
15 seconds on-line brought these reports up...
there was smoke but I guess we don't really know how big the fire was or if it was lit LOL
cheers

1) Friedman indicated that, in Marner’s case, term is what proved to be a big obstacle between Marner and the Blue Jackets.
“I think what happened was, if Columbus was going to do it, it had to be for seven years. And I think what I heard Marner was looking for, or his side was looking for, was less term than that,” Friedman said. “But I had multiple people telling me that they thought if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be Columbus.”

2) Speculation, speculation, speculation. That’s what we get this time of year.
From an $11.5-$12.5M offer sheet that was supposed to be on the way from Lou Lamoriello and the Islanders, or Marc Bergevin and the Canadiens, to the claims that Marner won’t settle for anything less than “Matthews money,” a lot of trash has been swirling but none of it has actually landed in the bin. Yet, anyways.
Thankfully, Elliotte Friedman and his 31 Thoughts podcast exist, and one of the real trustworthy insider voices in the industry gave us an update on the Marner-Leafs-offer sheet saga on Thursday, when he revealed that it was actually the Columbus Blue Jackets who have been spearheading the most aggressive effort to land the dynamic winger.

3) According to Sportsnet, Toronto Maple Leafs RFA Mitch Marner will be offered sheet today. Rumored the AVV on the offer sheet is $12,5 million dollars per year.
While there’s no word on which team is seriously considering offering sheet, it should worry Kyle Dubas nonetheless, the AVV of the offer sheet would seriously put Dubas in a difficult spot, Cap wise speaking.
Why are you addressing this crap? My comment was on your claim that there was a rumor he wanted 9 million after his second year. Address that turd.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Marner could have been signed in the off season leading into his final year. Dubas turned him down.
He had to sign Nylander first. Their stats to that point weren't much different. You'd have to justify playing hardball with one for a fair bit less yet similar numbers. Unless you decide to trade or sit him , you can't sign the other for significantly more before dealing with that.

Reactions: ACC1224

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
was the rumour not that marner wanted 9 mill per after his 2nd season?
I honestly don't remember ... but 9 mill for a 60'ish point 2nd season would have been awful...
revisionist history misleads and puts a different spin on any discussions
I had heard $8.5 I think?

Reactions: freshwind

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I heard he was planning on getting on a plane 5 days before July 1st with his agent to meet with teams. This was everywhere.
This news went on for a year. Strangely, no offersheet talk this year in the media, humm...

Marner said he didn't want to sign anywhere else and wanted to be a leaf.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marner could have been signed in the off season
leading into his final year. Dubas turned him down.

I don’t know about Simmons as mentioned prior

I think the point that is being made is that the only person who said that Marner could have been signed in the 2018 offseason was Simmons (saying he could have been signed for 8x8 or something like that). Nobody else said that an offer was on the table, never mind whether Marner would have accepted it.

I don't know if you have a different source, but the only source I have seen with that claim is Simmons. Not exactly the most reliable source when nobody else corroborates it.

Also seems odd for Marner to be willing to accept that when it values him like Nylander (something Marner's camp would never accept) and he had the chance to boost his value by playing with Tavares.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner could have been signed in the off season leading into his final year. Dubas turned him down.
As has already been explained to you multiple times now, that is false. It's interesting how you refuse to believe or accept anything else about the Marner negotiations, yet you repeatedly spout this false claim as confirmed fact, based on nothing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the point that is being made is that the only person who said that Marner could have been signed in the 2018 offseason was Simmons (saying he could have been signed for 8x8 or something like that). Nobody else said that an offer was on the table, never mind whether Marner would have accepted it.

I don't know if you have a different source, but the only source I have seen with that claim is Simmons. Not exactly the most reliable source when nobody else corroborates it.

Also seems odd for Marner to be willing to accept that when it values him like Nylander (something Marner's camp would never accept) and he had the chance to boost his value by playing with Tavares.
Yeah I’m not sure where Simmons got his info but it’s not like it was a huge secret. You’re correct in that he valued himself above Nylander and just below Matthews. Once Matthews signed the Marner ask increased. It’s why many have said all along that Dubas should have signed Matthews last to remove that comparable.

Reactions: Garthinater

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah I’m not sure where Simmons got his info but it’s not like it was a huge secret. You’re correct in that he valued himself above Nylander and just below Matthews. Once Matthews signed the Marner ask increased. It’s why many have said all along that Dubas should have signed Matthews last to remove that comparable.

If he signs Matthews last, Matthews is likely a free agent, given Marner refused to negotiate in season.

How does this help?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

Try marners agent

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
As has already been explained to you multiple times now, that is false. It's interesting how you refuse to believe or accept anything else about the Marner negotiations, yet you repeatedly spout this false claim as confirmed fact, based on nothing.
Based on what his agent said that he was lowballed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad