Rumor: All purpose Kessel trade rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
But you're forgetting some things here Mess, namely:
- Kessel has never scored 40 goals. He's a consistent 35 goal scorer, who didn't hit 30 this year
- the Pens weak point this year was goaltending and defence, not scoring
- in any deal involving Kessel, the Pens lose a decent d-man (Pouliot, say)

All things being equal, and trying to tone down the Pens fanboys projecting 50 goal seasons from Phil while playing with Malkin or Crosby . . . adding a defensive liability on forward, even one as offensively gifted as Phil, and taking away a good d-man . . . may kind of cancel each other out. You never know, until you know . . . you know?

I think he means he'll get 40 playing with Sid or Malkin, not that he hasn't ever hit 40. Hard to argue that. If he plays with Sid he could very well hit 45-50. That would be dangerous.

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
Exactly. I'll never give you Rielly/Marner/Nylander (a team's elite prospects) but rather the good to very good prospects a tier lower. If I'm being offered Pouliet + 1st round pick + Cap Dump + another lower tier prospect for Kessel, I'm seriously considering it. I think Pouliot is a slight tier below our top prospects so he's the type of prospect I'm looking at

There simply aren't enough suitors to drum up a bidding war for Kessel.

With regards to the guys I would want from the Penguins, only Elite guys are Pouliot and Matta. I would like Kapanen or the first round pick. Also I think Rielly/ Marner/ Nylander are all better than any prospect on the Penguins. I think their top guys are a notch below ours. But if we were a contending team in need of adding an elite talent, I would give up one of our good prospects for an elite guy. With that said my dream return would be Kapanen, Pouliot, a conditional 2nd, Kunitz, and Scuderi (or whoever they wanna dump with us), and would be willing to even eat $1 Million of Kessel's cap for the reminder of the contract just to sweeten the pot. That would be a great return in my opinion, then eat cap and trade Kunitz and Scuderi for picks.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kessel was not traded for "two top ten picks, including the #2 overall." That isn't how the deal was made. Talk about hyperbole.

You are arguing apples and oranges. We did not hold the #2 pick in the draft, and trade it for Phil Kessel, nor did we hold the #9 overall the following year and trade it for Phil Kessel.

If a team made a trade for Kessel tomorrow, and it included a #1 pick, how do we know, as unlikely as it would be, that it would not turn into a top 10?

Did you see what I did there?

Well, yeah, if you are looking at getting the #2 and #9 overall for him. But if you are looking at what the Leafs originally paid, which was two firsts and a second, I think the return will be similar (which could mean a first round pick and a prospect picked in the first round).

You are looking at it as Burke gave up Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Phil Kessel.

He didn't.

Pouliot was the 8th overall.
Sutter was the 11th overall.
A 1st round pick is a 1st round pick.
Kunitz as a cap dump could return?????
3 1sts and ?
You've done better.

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
But you're forgetting some things here Mess, namely:
- Kessel has never scored 40 goals. He's a consistent 35 goal scorer, who didn't hit 30 this year
- the Pens weak point this year was goaltending and defence, not scoring
- in any deal involving Kessel, the Pens lose a decent d-man (Pouliot, say)

All things being equal, and trying to tone down the Pens fanboys projecting 50 goal seasons from Phil while playing with Malkin or Crosby . . . adding a defensive liability on forward, even one as offensively gifted as Phil, and taking away a good d-man . . . may kind of cancel each other out. You never know, until you know . . . you know?

Just a hint, know your facts. The Penguins last year were 19th in league scoring and have always had an issue with scoring goals in the playoffs, and Fluery played really well actually. Also Kessel puts up 40 with Sid or Malkin

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I think he means he'll get 40 playing with Sid or Malkin, not that he hasn't ever hit 40. Hard to argue that. If he plays with Sid he could very well hit 45-50. That would be dangerous.

Mess called him a 40 goal scorer, and I realize that a lot of people in fantasy hockey like to predict these things, but . . . if HOFers Gretzky and Hull didn't click, then you have an idea of how sometimes, skill doesn't necessarily mesh. And with Phil being American, they've never been on the same team, so no way of knowing.

Myself, I bet he'd get along better with Malkin, but even then, Malkin's not a rush player - and neither is Crosby really. I think after a year, Kessel might get close to 40, and could rack up a lot of assists perhaps . . . but it's just guesswork.

And who knows . . . what if the Pittsburgh coach asks him to play good defence like his line mates Crosby and Malkin? That could turn quickly . . . :laugh:

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
With regards to the guys I would want from the Penguins, only Elite guys are Pouliot and Matta. I would like Kapanen or the first round pick. Also I think Rielly/ Marner/ Nylander are all better than any prospect on the Penguins. I think their top guys are a notch below ours. But if we were a contending team in need of adding an elite talent, I would give up one of our good prospects for an elite guy. With that said my dream return would be Kapanen, Pouliot, a conditional 2nd, Kunitz, and Scuderi (or whoever they wanna dump with us), and would be willing to even eat $1 Million of Kessel's cap for the reminder of the contract just to sweeten the pot. That would be a great return in my opinion, then eat cap and trade Kunitz and Scuderi for picks.

Personally, I think Maatta is on the same level as Nylander but I do like Rielly and Marner more.

Another thing to consider is that a contending team like Chicago, Pittsburgh, LAK, NYR probably don't have a prospect system as good as a rebuilding/bottom team. So your overall package is probably worse than dealing with a bad team (but then their not in a position to be trading for Kessel).

You think Kapanen, Pouliot, Cond 2nd, Kunitz and Scuderi for Kessel with 1 million retention is good enough

I think Pouliot, 1st round pick, Scuderi, Jarry for Kessel with no retention is good enough

Seems like our value for Kessel is pretty close

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kinda wish the Panthers wanted him. I see it as a good fit. Kessel lives down there, he'd give them some scoring punch and they have a lot of bigger bodied prospects they could learn to live without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad