Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Two good pictures to show new goaltending styles. Levi is using a technique called "downward tracking" in this picture. You can see him bringing his upper body forward into the shot, and bringing his glove forward to the puck. No more windmills or side saves.

This technique cuts down on angles, and more importantly, allows the goalie to better control rebounds from getting away from him to a side angle.

This photo shows Levi using the new butterfly technique. If you look at his right leg, his knee is underneath him and he still has control of his body from his right side. He extends his left leg to the puck. After the save, this technique enhances his ability to stand back up.
wow. This is how i positioned my legs back when I played in the 70s. What goes around comes around.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

Hopefully injury explains bad sv % much like comrie w def injuries against same teams .

Reasonable w boeser which im sure donnie knows if they are a fit .
He's been mostly average 5 on 5, his struggles have been on special teams. He has 3 shorthanded goals against him, and has been terrible when they are shorthanded. Unsurprisingly the Canucks have a worse PK than the Sabres, and from what I've seen on the main boards it's not all on Demko allowing weak goals, apparently their PK is just really bad.

That said the Canucks seem to have similar problems to Buffalo with the PK. However they do also have the most high danger chances against 5 on 5 which I'm sure doesn't help either.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
He's been mostly average 5 on 5, his struggles have been on special teams. He has 3 shorthanded goals against him, and has been terrible when they are shorthanded. Unsurprisingly the Canucks have a worse PK than the Sabres, and from what I've seen on the main boards it's not all on Demko allowing weak goals, apparently their PK is just really bad.

That said the Canucks seem to have similar problems to Buffalo with the PK. However they do also have the most high danger chances against 5 on 5 which I'm sure doesn't help either.
Sounds like a winner , take 2 mil 2 years boeser cap get demko for a dollar

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Don't know where to put this, so putting it in this thread.

If you rank the NHL teams by points, points percentage, and goal differential, an interesting anomaly with the Sabres pops out.

Typically, teams which are usually toward "the best" or "the worst" in one of those categories is toward the best or the worst in all 3 categories.
We all know that by season's end, it's common for most all the teams with positive goal differentials to be playoff bound, and those with negative goal differentials to be sitting out.

At the roughly quarter-point in the season, if you take the difference between a team's points percentage ranking and their goal differential ranking, the data stratifies as follows:
6 teams with zero ranking differential
6 teams with either a -1 or +1 ranking differential
6 teams with either a -2 or +2 ranking differential
that means ~half the NHL teams find their points/points percentage consistent with their goal differential.
8 more teams have a -4, -3, +3 or +4 ranking differential
so 80% of the NHL teams remain pretty well behaved.
5 teams have a -5, -6, or +5 ranking differential.

Buffalo is the most egregious outlier.
They are 25th in points and points percentage, but 14th in goal differential, a difference in the above ranking listing of 11 places. As noted above, no other team is close to that anomalous.
That maybe suggests they are winning big but losing close, and losing more frequently?
Their current +4 goal differential for the season would typically have them in the ~12th to 20th spot, i.e., a bubble team or "low seed qualifier".

Anyway, food for thought.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
No matter what kind of goalie style the Sabres future goalies will have, it won't matter if the team in front of them doesn't understand the strengths and weaknesses of that style and work to defend the weak points. You cant give modern NHL shooters with modern NHL sticks, uncontested shots from 15-20 ft in front of the net, and expect any goaltending style to hold up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If you rank the NHL teams by points, points percentage, and goal differential, an interesting anomaly with the Sabres pops out.

Typically, teams which are usually toward "the best" or "the worst" in one of those categories is toward the best or the worst in all 3 categories.
We all know that by season's end, it's common for most all the teams with positive goal differentials to be playoff bound, and those with negative goal differentials to be sitting out.

At the roughly quarter-point in the season, if you take the difference between a team's points percentage ranking and their goal differential ranking, the data stratifies as follows:
that means ~half the NHL teams find their points/points percentage consistent with their goal differential.

They are 25th in points and points percentage, but 14th in goal differential, a difference in the above ranking listing of 11 places. As noted above, no other team is close to that anomalous.
That maybe suggests they are winning big but losing close, and losing more frequently?
Their current +4 goal differential for the season would typically have them in the ~12th to 20th spot, i.e., a bubble team or "low seed qualifier".

Eight of their 11 wins have been by 3 goals or more while they have lost five by 3 or more. (8 W, 5L)

Then they have 3 1-goal losses in regulation and 1 OT loss. Looking at games where they lost by 2, but gave up an ENG (so it was within 1 late), that's another 3. They are 2-3-1 in 1-goal games, but the wins feature an OT and a SO win and nothing thus far in regulation perhaps because of their ability to hammer ENG's with 8 on the season as was mentioned.

Seems they win big more than they lose big, but they lose close more than than win close.

It might mean nothing, it could be indicative of a young team.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Im hoping Murray implodes, but the fact we could've had him and moved up in the draft hurts...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The interesting thing to watch is if things normalize, which way will they normalize?

With they continue with the + GDiff and the points will start to come or will the GDiff turn - and the Pts% stay roughly the same?

Im hoping Murray implodes, but the fact we could've had him and moved up in the draft hurts...
But, that is also assuming that Murray in TO would be what the Sabres would have gotten.

I do not know how great an assumption that is.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Quoting myself to say that the above hypothesis should probably add "...relative to other NHL teams".

Your comments / replies above seem to echo that.

I also speculate that the number of "blowout" wins or losses by 3 or more goals adds to the "insufferable" nature of the GBUs. Either we're giddy, or we're despondent because the Sabres look like crap.

Combining @Chainshot's remark about a young team with the "insufferable" duality of the GBUs, the current Sabres situation is perhaps akin to potty-training a toddler. Some days you're elated your child made the day with no issues. Other times, it's a stinky mess.

Surprisingly, I think this data suggests the man-games lost due to injury isn't that big of a factor for Buffalo. (scroll down for the Dec. 2 udpate)
https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNHL?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What would you personally give up for Karel Vejmelka?
He seems to be performing yeoman's work in Arizona. 2nd and a quality prospect?
It seems the Arizona fan on the main boards asked Portillo + 2nd. I would easily make this deal.

I had a conversation with Canucks fans on CapFriendly about Demko, they really appreciate him a lot, which is logical. One fan asked for 1st + Cozens, of course I immediately said no.

Second fan asked 2023 1st top 10 protected + UPL + Ostlund, and third Canucks fan agreed with this.

I also asked about Carter Hart, but no one answered me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What would you personally give up for Karel Vejmelka?
With him signed for two more years beyond this season, I wonder if you could get a deal done centered around UPL+pick for him?

For giggles, UPL+[worst '23 2nd rounder] would be my offer to start off a conversation.

:dunno:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It seems the Arizona fan on the main boards asked Portillo + 2nd. I would easily make this deal.

I had a conversation with Canucks fans on CapFriendly about Demko, they really appreciate him a lot, which is logical. One fan asked for 1st + Cozens, of course I immediately said no.

Second fan asked 2023 1st top 10 protected + UPL + Ostlund, and third Canucks fan agreed with this.

I also asked about Carter Hart, but no one answered me.

With him signed for two more years beyond this season, I wonder if you could get a deal done centered around UPL+pick for him?

For giggles, UPL+[worst '23 2nd rounder] would be my offer to start off a conversation.

:dunno:

I do UPL/2nd or Portillo/2nd for Vejmelka without hesitation. Which leads me to think we'd need to add another piece of some sort -- middling prospect or mid pick.

Top 10 protected 2023/UPL/Ostlund for Demko? I do that without hesitation.

Reactions: Fjordy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I do UPL/2nd or Portillo/2nd for Vejmelka without hesitation. Which leads me to think we'd need to add another piece of some sort -- middling prospect or mid pick.

Top 10 protected 2023/UPL/Ostlund for Demko? I do that without hesitation.
I do not like Ostlund in that deal.

I think a 1+UPL is a healthy offer for Demko at this point in time and the Sabres taking that whole contract on.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I do not like Ostlund in that deal.

I think a 1+UPL is a healthy offer for Demko at this point in time and the Sabres taking that whole contract on.
Wait, you said they were going to ask 1st + Levi and something else besides the first one. If I offered 1st yesterday and UPL, would you say that I offer garbage. :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad